NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 23:11
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Aug 8, 2011

Hello all,

I'm having many technical problems tonight, including posting this subject!

Please be patient with me. I've used Studio 2009 a few times now after years of SDL 2007. Never had any trouble with Batch -> Finalize, the file comes back as a Word file, everybody's happy.

But tonight, of course, deadline tomorrow, my 16,000 word file cannot be cleaned up. I get a dialogue box saying path name or file name too long, and I can't, don't know, how to fix this. There is nothing about Cleaning up or Word files in the Help that I can see.

I'm a little worried that two weeks' worth of work is inaccessible, and that the client's deadline will be missed.

I'm going to retire for the night now, before I do something irreversible, but please ask whatever questions you need to, so that I can clean up this monster file for my client in time for the deadline.

Many thanks for your help,

Nancy

Direct link

pritha  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:41
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
print preview / view as target Aug 8, 2011

You can try the following options:

1) In the Editor view : File - View In - MS Word as Target
2) In the Files view: Open file externally

There is also a third option of seeing the Print Preview in the Target format in the Editor view, I believe.

Hope this helps.

Direct link

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:11
English
Move the Project closer to C:\ Aug 8, 2011

Hi Nancy,

This can happen sometimes when filenames are too long, or the path to the files being translated is too long. The way to resolve it is to move the Project closer to the root folder in C:\

There is a KB article here about that.

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3854&p=1

A quick way to resolve this for single files (that are not too long) that cause a problem is as follows:

1. Move the source file to C:\
  2. Use Open Document to open the folder
  3. Select the TM you used for your Project
  4. When the file opens in the Editor go to the first segment and press ctrl+enter. This will run through your translation and populate each segment with your translation from the TM
  5. Once complete, press shift+F12 to get the target out

Let me know if you have any problems.

Regards

Paul

Direct link

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 23:11
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Paul Aug 9, 2011

That helped perfectly, thank you Paul.

Nancy

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File name or path too long : Studio 2009

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search