Never buy Trados 2009
Thread poster: Macaron

Macaron
Local time: 22:33
English to French
Aug 8, 2011

I was a happy freelance translator using SDLX 2005, and now I am a very poor and frustrated freelance translator trying to use Trados Studio 2009! the enhancements promised are nothing new, almost all features were already there in 2005 version, and many very useful features have disappeared. Support takes days to get(after paying another $200), and working with this system is so complicated that you get nuts. I am loosing days of work, cannot deliver translations : awful.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not continue with SDLX? Aug 8, 2011

If you have Studio, you will also have a license for SDLX.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:33
Member (1970)
English
Sorry to hear this... Aug 8, 2011

Hi Macaron,

Can you give me your case numbers, or explain the problem so we can try to help? Feel free to email me if you like?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
So, why did you upgrade? Aug 8, 2011

Macaron wrote:

I was a happy freelance translator using SDLX 2005

If you were, why did you upgrade actually? Never fix what ain’t broken!

Rafael Bordabehere (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never felt so frustrated with a software before ... Aug 8, 2011

like I did with Trados 2009.

But most of all, I never felt so lonely when it comes to seeking for help.

We are not technicians - we are translators. If we were to fix all the problems (or major problems) by ourselves, we better became software developers and program installers instead.

Yes ... awful!

Rafael.

[Editado a las 2011-08-08 17:32 GMT]

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
As a previous SDLX user Aug 8, 2011

I found the switch to Studio very easy, much easier than my colleagues who used Workbench. And I love it. I have found so many things that have made my work easier. Give it a bit of time (and read the various forums here as I have learned a lot from reading what others do).

But I am always surprised by the problems with SDL support. I have had nothing but help from their staff. Am I the only lucky one?

Eileen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Here's a useful reference... Aug 8, 2011

... if you struggle again.

How to get support for SDL Products Blog entry : http://tinyurl.com/SDLProductsSupport

We are trying... it's not always easy to help either..!

Regards

Paul

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
It's all about personal experiences Aug 8, 2011

I have never been working with a better CAT tool prior to, indeed, SDL Trados Studio 2009.
It might seem strange or not but this is my experience and I am very glad to share it with you.

Regards,
Sherefedin

[Edited at 2011-08-08 19:28 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Never say never... Aug 8, 2011

Is I think a very true and useful saying.
This forum and many other forums or mailinig lists are full of people willing to help and helping other with any problem.
There are so many training offers out there, there is a book on Studio and still you feel so frustrated...
Well, before you can drive a car you go for training and obtain a driving license. Nevertheless, the real driving maturity can come only if you train on regular basis. Why should sophisticated software be other?
... See more
Is I think a very true and useful saying.
This forum and many other forums or mailinig lists are full of people willing to help and helping other with any problem.
There are so many training offers out there, there is a book on Studio and still you feel so frustrated...
Well, before you can drive a car you go for training and obtain a driving license. Nevertheless, the real driving maturity can come only if you train on regular basis. Why should sophisticated software be other? Studio is a very complex one with huge amount of possibilites.
And I can assure you, it works as it promises. Exactly as good (or as bad if you wish) as any other competitor product.
Collapse

Macaron
Local time: 22:33
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
some answers Aug 10, 2011

thanks for your comments, I hope to finally be as happy as some of you.

Why change if happy with SDLX 2005? : 1) an old PC about to die, with ten years of work stored on it, and the necessity to move forward to a new OS. 2) intense marketing from SDL praise the many virtues of upgrading. 3) difficulties under some formats (PPT are very difficult to handle) 4) Microsoft Office new versions compatibility issues 5) RAM issues

SDL support : yes support is reponsive, but 24
... See more

Why change if happy with SDLX 2005? : 1) an old PC about to die, with ten years of work stored on it, and the necessity to move forward to a new OS. 2) intense marketing from SDL praise the many virtues of upgrading. 3) difficulties under some formats (PPT are very difficult to handle) 4) Microsoft Office new versions compatibility issues 5) RAM issues

SDL support : yes support is reponsive, but 24hours later, meaning that I am stuck, not able to work, no chat offered. And why do we need constantly support : because the software is too complicated.
Installation was so complicated, I had to wait to get my new PC and a Webex to get everything installed by SDL, impossible to do by myself, unless investing in days of research.
Once installed, I discovered the monster. Three different applications, icons have disappeared, shortcuts have changed, and worse, nothing to help converting: you have to convert yourself, one by one, all translation memories, all termbases : days of work. no help, no automatic transition. a nightmare. Support offers to show you the process for one, and then you are good for one or two weeks of work just to migrate. Even the abhorred Microsoft is doing much much better with their "easy install" process when migrating to a new PC. It took me two hours to install my new PC, but it will take me two weeks to install the new SDL.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some answers to your answers Aug 10, 2011

Macaron wrote:

Indeed enough reasons

SDL support : yes support is reponsive, but 24hours later, meaning that I am stuck, not able to work, no chat offered. And why do we need constantly support : because the software is too complicated.

Do you have support and maintenance agreement? Otherwise the support is exactly the same as for Microsoft, Acronis or other products. An Internet chat or e-mail form with some response time.
However you are able to get free support on installation and licensing issues. The response time to license issues is very short (my own experience)

Installation was so complicated, I had to wait to get my new PC and a Webex to get everything installed by SDL, impossible to do by myself, unless investing in days of research.

Downloading software, right clicking the downloaded files and saying "Run as administrator" is complicated? Well, how then does the other software behave?

[quiote]Once installed, I discovered the monster. Three different applications, icons have disappeared, shortcuts have changed, and worse, nothing to help converting: you have to convert yourself, one by one, all translation memories, all termbases : days of work. no help, no automatic transition. a nightmare.[/quote]
Three applications? Studio and Multiterm and SDLX, which you should know...
What is so complicated there? MS Office consists of even more applications and none of those is unsophisticated, if you wish to use all its features.
As for converting: you can convert all your translation memories in one single process. The process itself is just few clicks and all is done in automated manner.
Indeed you need some time to do that, as the machine will have to work on the conversion for quite a time. So the best idea is to start in the evening and leave the machine working during the night.

Support offers to show you the process for one, and then you are good for one or two weeks of work just to migrate. Even the abhorred Microsoft is doing much much better with their "easy install" process when migrating to a new PC. It took me two hours to install my new PC, but it will take me two weeks to install the new SDL.

Oh, indeed? I am installing Studio quite often due to many testings I have to do. Uninstalling the version before latest and installing the latest one didn't take me even an hour...
The whole transition process may take some time, as the processing of translation memories is consuming machine time, but that is particularly all. And you do not have to convert everything at once.
Then you start using it and should see, that it works like SDLX. Even the shortucts can be the same. Chose SDLX as your profile and many shortcuts will be the same.
But if the shortcuts do not fit, why not change them to fit your needs? Tools - Options - Keyboard shortcuts and there you go...

Problems with installation and most other problems with Studio (and other Trados software) have been dealt numerous times in this forum. Many users did spent hundred of hours on helping people here and on mailing list, so there is so many information here, that you just need to stretch your hand and reach for it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Never buy Trados 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search