Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:04
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Aug 8, 2011

It's me again folks.

Any ideas as to why I sometimes get poor match results such as this?

Or any ideas on settings so as not to receive such results?

My settings are currently default settings.

thanks

rich

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:04
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Discussed before Aug 8, 2011

Hi Rich,

It was discussed before, see this thread http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/197180-ridiculous_partial_matches.html

And this one http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183991-how_to_have_trados_concentrate_on_relevant_text_rather_than_tag_material_for_finding_matches.html

[Edited at 2011-08-08 22:50 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Swindle? Aug 8, 2011

I followed the link, then other links from that link. Things get pretty heated with words like "swindle", and lots of talk of algorithms. Oh Well. Better just adjust my settings to not have these matches show up, and not offer discounts, I don't know, say below 90% matches.

thanks Selcuk

rich

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
latest mismatch Aug 9, 2011

I know it's been suggested that I view previous posts but...

this is the latest, even less fitting mismatch

I can't say I've spent the necessary time sifting through the tons of previous posts on this topic, but I wonder if there's a way to exclude tags from being relevant to the matches?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
French to Polish
+ ...
As you like... Aug 26, 2011

rich. wrote:

I followed the link, then other links from that link. Things get pretty heated with words like "swindle", and lots of talk of algorithms.

In fact, the problem is not some matches are wrong, but they're not corrected during several years.
You can make a choice between a conspiracy theory and a general lack of competence.
As you like,

Oh Well. Better just adjust my settings to not have these matches show up, and not offer discounts, I don't know, say below 90% matches.

Indeed, a lot of matches below 85-90% make not sense at all.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2011-08-26 19:41 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
French to Polish
+ ...
Greed is good... Aug 26, 2011

rich. wrote:

I know it's been suggested that I view previous posts but...

this is the latest, even less fitting mismatch

Even if you discard the tag weight, the recognition algorithm is fooled by brackets.
Nonetheless, using the most primitive appoach, 50% is the max. value even if you discard the tags and admit "de las" is a sound sequence (Trados doesn't take in account the word lenght which is statistically important if you want to dicsard articles, prepositions etc.).
These algorithms make no sense from the linguistic point of view.

I can't say I've spent the necessary time sifting through the tons of previous posts on this topic, but I wonder if there's a way to exclude tags from being relevant to the matches?

If you use Trados, no way.
Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

strange match results in Trados 2009

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search