https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205171-discounts_applicable_in_rates_for_repetitions_in_trados.html

Discounts applicable in rates for repetitions in Trados
Thread poster: CARMEN MAESTRO
CARMEN MAESTRO
CARMEN MAESTRO  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2011

Hi everyone!

I'd like to know which are the common discounts applicable in rates for repetitions in Trados.
I know most agencies apply percentages on account of repeated terms...

Thank you all for your support!

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No standard discounts Aug 11, 2011

Carmen,

There is no such thing as "standard" discounts for repetitions and "fuzzy matches", as agencies tend to offer varying scales. A few years ago, translationzone.com recommended the following 30/60/100 "rule":

Repetitons and 100% matches: 30% of the base rate per word.
99% - 85% Fuzzy matches: 60% of base rate
84% fuzzy matches: 100% of base rate

However, that "rule" is no longer anywhere to be seen on their website, so it is basically a m
... See more
Carmen,

There is no such thing as "standard" discounts for repetitions and "fuzzy matches", as agencies tend to offer varying scales. A few years ago, translationzone.com recommended the following 30/60/100 "rule":

Repetitons and 100% matches: 30% of the base rate per word.
99% - 85% Fuzzy matches: 60% of base rate
84% fuzzy matches: 100% of base rate

However, that "rule" is no longer anywhere to be seen on their website, so it is basically a matter of agreeing the highest percentages that you can with agencies. I always try to secure the above scale at worst and if an agency cannot agree to it, then there would have to be a very good reason for me to consider accepting anything lower for a job.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:29
French to German
+ ...
I don't consider discounts... Aug 11, 2011

as I don't use trados anymmore.

Paul Stevens wrote:

(...)

However, that "rule" is no longer anywhere to be seen on their website, so it is basically a matter of agreeing the highest percentages that you can with agencies. I always try to secure the above scale at worst and if an agency cannot agree to it, then there would have to be a very good reason for me to consider accepting anything lower for a job.

The only reason to comply with discount requests is that one would be willing to compete on prices.

Note: this applies to so-called "legacy TM's", the agencies' Golden Calf and one of my pet peeves.

[Edited at 2011-08-11 10:03 GMT]

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Personal choice Aug 11, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Paul Stevens wrote:

(...)

The only reason to comply with discount requests is that one would be willing to compete on prices.

At the end of the day, Laurent, it is a matter of personal choice if you accept Trados discounts and I would add that the vast majority of my work is invoiced without any Trados discounts.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:29
English to Turkish
+ ...
Different rates for Trados 2007 and Trados Studio 2009 Aug 11, 2011

I don't use Trados or Studio as a translation environment but some of my agency clients ask discount for repetitions. My rate scale is different for Trados 2007 and Trados Studio 2009.

Trados rates (applicable for Trados 2007 only):
Reps __ 20%
100 __ 20%
95-99 __ 50%
85-94 __ 75%
75-84 __ 100%
0-74 __ 100%

Trados rates (applicable for Trados Studio 2009 only):
Reps __ 20%
100 __ 20%
95-99 __
... See more
I don't use Trados or Studio as a translation environment but some of my agency clients ask discount for repetitions. My rate scale is different for Trados 2007 and Trados Studio 2009.

Trados rates (applicable for Trados 2007 only):
Reps __ 20%
100 __ 20%
95-99 __ 50%
85-94 __ 75%
75-84 __ 100%
0-74 __ 100%

Trados rates (applicable for Trados Studio 2009 only):
Reps __ 20%
100 __ 20%
95-99 __ 50%
85-94 __ 100%
75-84 __ 100%
0-74 __ 100%

But there is no standard for it and you are free not to accept any discounts.
Collapse

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Local time: 22:29
Spanish to English
Another way of looking at this... Aug 11, 2011

... is to ask whether the agencies in question are paying a bonus for things like price lists, acccounts, PPT presentations and tables in general that require a lot of time because of formatting issues and/or the fact that they often consist of 'undiluted' terms (this is specially true of accounts).

The way I look it with my regular customers is that for the most part it's a win some-lose some situation where an agreed rate works out better or worse for either of us on given occasi
... See more
... is to ask whether the agencies in question are paying a bonus for things like price lists, acccounts, PPT presentations and tables in general that require a lot of time because of formatting issues and/or the fact that they often consist of 'undiluted' terms (this is specially true of accounts).

The way I look it with my regular customers is that for the most part it's a win some-lose some situation where an agreed rate works out better or worse for either of us on given occasions. Sometimes it's a standard contract in MS Word and I win. Sometimes it's badly copied marriage cert from Tierra del Fuego c 1970 and they win.

Where there's loads of repetition or where the job is unsually time-consuming, normally some specific agreement is made.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discounts applicable in rates for repetitions in Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »