Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:31
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Aug 14, 2011

Hello all,

I've had trouble lately with Excel files translated with TagEditor (Trados 2007). TagEditor cleans the files without problem, but the clean files contains the text in shuffled order. For instance, if the source had:
The target will have something like:
This gets very annoying with larger files...

Has anyone encountered that before and does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Which version of Excel? Aug 14, 2011

We've had the same problem with Trados 2007 Suite/TeamWorks 2008, when translating Excel 2010 files. We asked SDL Support about it, and we were told it was a known bug.

Our workaround was to down-save to Excel 97-2003, and that usually solved the problem.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
A workaround Aug 14, 2011

I've never had this problem, but what you could do is add a column in the source Excel file and enter sequential numbers in each row. You can e.g. enter 1 in row 1, 2 in row 2, then select both cells and drag them downwards by the bottom-right corner until the last row of your data - the rest of the cells should be numbered automatically. Translate your file in Tag Editor. If the file gets messed up after clean-up, you can sort the content by the added column.

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Marie-Claude and Adam! Aug 14, 2011

Oh, Marie-Claude, why didn't I think of it in the first place? I do know that xlsx file often cause trouble when cleaning and didn't thought of that... I tried on 2 small files and your tip seems to work!
Did SDL tell you if they're going to fix it?

Adam, I'll use Marie-Claude's workaround because it's quicker, but I'll keep yours in mind in case I get stuck!

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Problem with Studio too apparently Aug 14, 2011

If I recall, the problem has also been reported with Studio 2009, and they are working on a fix. In our SDL support case, the tech supp employee said it would be fixed in Studio 2011. However, I sincerely hope they will also make this fix available for Studio 2009 (via a hotfix or a cumulative update)! Down-saving is fine, but it's an extra step that we shouldn't have to make in order to translate...

In any case, so far we didn't notice any problems with Excel 2010 XLSX files in our new Studio 2009/WorldServer 10 combination, which is a good thing, considering it's good ol' Excel 97-2003 XLS files that are problematic now, WorldServer refuses to process them...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor "shuffles" the Excel file while cleaning

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search