Thread poster: martine paulin

martine paulin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:52
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Aug 14, 2011

I usually use Wordfast as a CAT tool and have not run into problems before with opening Trados TMs. However, for this particular project, the file extensions were .sdltm insead of the .tmx that I usually run into. Wordfast (and Wordfast anywhere- their latst online version of the program) will not recognize these TMs (as far as I could tell).
I was told that a free version of Trados Studio 2009 was available online, so I downloaded it onto my computer and now, as I try to open the file in question, the following error message appears:
'This microsoft Word document will not open because it contains tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected'.
Any tips on how to get the ball rolling? I am running out of time. Any help will be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:52
Member (2008)
French to English
Accept all changes Aug 15, 2011

Try opening the Word document, make sure Track Changes is turned off and Accept all changes. This should revert it to Word document without any tracked changes. Save it as a another file name, if you want to keep the original file intact.

You could also open Studio with a blank document, import the .sdltm memory and re-export it as a .tmx, which you can then use in Wordfast.

martine paulin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:52
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ John Fossey Aug 15, 2011

Thank you for this answer. Unfortunately, I have tried both of those very same solutions solutions after looking online for the answer. I got the following new error message:
"the folder is not empty", for which I have found no reference online.
I then tried to change the TM file extensions (there are four TMs for this project) to a .txt file which Wordfast handles fine, because I have given up on Trados after spending 8 hours on this problem, manipulating all kinds of file formats... pretty clunky. I also tried Unicode formats. Unfortunately, one of those TM remains stubborn and will not open. Yikes.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
Finnish to French
What file do you attempt to open? Aug 15, 2011

martine paulin wrote:
I usually use Wordfast as a CAT tool and have not run into problems before with opening Trados TMs. However, for this particular project, the file extensions were .sdltm insead of the .tmx that I usually run into. Wordfast (and Wordfast anywhere- their latst online version of the program) will not recognize these TMs (as far as I could tell).
I was told that a free version of Trados Studio 2009 was available online, so I downloaded it onto my computer and now, as I try to open the file in question, the following error message appears:

What file do you attempt to open? The file with the .sdltm extension?
It looks like you were in the Editor view, in which case you cannot use File > Open, as it's for documents, projects or packages, not TM's. You must switch to the Translation Memories view, after which you can use File > Open.
I'm not aware of a "free version" of Studio 2009. Perhaps it's a trial version and it may be limited with regards to the size of TM's it can handle.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:52
English
Let's go back to the original question Aug 15, 2011

Hi Martine,

This thread seems to be straying from your actual question so maybe it's worth backtracking a bit and try to pick out the questions?

Martine wrote:

You must convert the SDLTM to a TMX first. In STudio you do this by navigating to the Translation Memories View, open the SDLTM, then right-click on the name and choose Export. Save the file as TMX.

Alternatively, if you have a licensed version of Studio there is a simple app here that will create TMX files from SDLTM files:

SDLTmExport : http://tinyurl.com/sdltmexport

Martine wrote:
'This microsoft Word document will not open because it contains tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected'.

Studio requires that track changes are removed first. To do this thoroughly MSWord sometimes needs to be guided through a specific process that is covered here:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3253&p=1

After this you should be able to handle the file.

Dominique wrote:
I'm not aware of a "free version" of Studio 2009. Perhaps it's a trial version and it may be limited with regards to the size of TM's it can handle.

The trial version of Studio is actually the Professional version, unlimited in its functionality for 30-days, so TM size should not be an issue.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free trial version of Trados Studio 2009 will not open my Word file

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search