Elmar Bierbaum
Elmar Bierbaum  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Aug 15, 2011

Hello,

I have bought a new 64 bit computer. This is why I had to buy Trados 2009, because Trados 6.5 wouldn't run anymore. Everything seems to be fine except for the Multiterm migration.

I have either of two problems depending on how I try to migrate:

- When I create a new termbank and import my Multiterm 5 terminology, I loose all the entries of two of my four working languages.

- When I just open my old Multiterm 5 termbank in the new Multit
... See more
Hello,

I have bought a new 64 bit computer. This is why I had to buy Trados 2009, because Trados 6.5 wouldn't run anymore. Everything seems to be fine except for the Multiterm migration.

I have either of two problems depending on how I try to migrate:

- When I create a new termbank and import my Multiterm 5 terminology, I loose all the entries of two of my four working languages.

- When I just open my old Multiterm 5 termbank in the new Multiterm 2009 programme, I can see and use everything, but Multiterm 2009 crashes as soon as I try to add a new entry.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Elmar
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
MultiTerm Convert Aug 15, 2011

Dear Elmar

Do you used SDL MultiTerm Convert before trying to import/open the content in SDL MultiTerm 2009?

If you used SDL MultiTerm Convert to convert your MultiTerm 5 termbase did you checked that you have chosen/added the correct languages that are available in your MultiTerm 5 termbase?
Have you also referred to the correct index languages during the wizard of Multiterm Convert?

It would be good if you could describe exactly what options/steps y
... See more
Dear Elmar

Do you used SDL MultiTerm Convert before trying to import/open the content in SDL MultiTerm 2009?

If you used SDL MultiTerm Convert to convert your MultiTerm 5 termbase did you checked that you have chosen/added the correct languages that are available in your MultiTerm 5 termbase?
Have you also referred to the correct index languages during the wizard of Multiterm Convert?

It would be good if you could describe exactly what options/steps you have done.

Regards
Richard
Collapse

Elmar Bierbaum
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm 7 Aug 15, 2011

Thank you for your answer Richard

Correction:

I currently use Multiterm 7 and not Multiterm 5 (just looked it up in the info section). So I actually have the described problems between Multiterm 7 and Multiterm 2009.

Following your recommendations, I was going to use Multiterm Convert. My Multiterm 7 export file already is an xml file. In the Multiterm 2009 Convert list, I see a so-called OLIF xml format. Is this the right format to use for my Multiterm 7
... See more
Thank you for your answer Richard

Correction:

I currently use Multiterm 7 and not Multiterm 5 (just looked it up in the info section). So I actually have the described problems between Multiterm 7 and Multiterm 2009.

Following your recommendations, I was going to use Multiterm Convert. My Multiterm 7 export file already is an xml file. In the Multiterm 2009 Convert list, I see a so-called OLIF xml format. Is this the right format to use for my Multiterm 7 xml export file?

Best regards

Elmar
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
MultiTerm 7 - Termbase Aug 15, 2011

Dear Elmar

Ok, then you don´t need to use Multiterm Convert at all if you use MultiTerm 7.

So what you can do now (and what I recommend) is the following:

Open MultiTerm 7 (make sure SDL Trados Studio/ SDL MultiTerm 2009 is closed before).

1. Export your termbase content.

There are five default export definitions in the termbase catalogue of each termbase in MultiTerm. Use the "Default export definition". Therefore go in MultiTerm
... See more
Dear Elmar

Ok, then you don´t need to use Multiterm Convert at all if you use MultiTerm 7.

So what you can do now (and what I recommend) is the following:

Open MultiTerm 7 (make sure SDL Trados Studio/ SDL MultiTerm 2009 is closed before).

1. Export your termbase content.

There are five default export definitions in the termbase catalogue of each termbase in MultiTerm. Use the "Default export definition". Therefore go in MultiTerm 7 to Termbase > Termbase Catalogue and click on the Tab > Export.
Make a default export of your termbase content into the XML format.

2. Save your termbase definition.

After you have done this, save your termbase definition (to use it to create a new termbase in SDL MultiTerm 2009).
Therefore click on the Termbase menu, select Save Termbase Definition As. The Save Termbase Definition dialog box opens. Name and save the termbase definition to your file system as an XDT file.

CLOSE MultiTerm 7 and start SDL MultiTerm 2009.

3. Create a termbase in SDL MultiTerm 2009 based on the saved termbase definition from step 2. Click here on Termbase > Create termbase. The termbase creation wizard should start. Choose "Load an existing termbase definition file" and click "browse" to select then the saved XDT file from step2. Click through the wizard without changing anything and the termbase will be created immediately.

4. Import your data previously exported from step 1 by opening the "Catalog view".
In the navigation tree, under the termbase name, select Import. Select the import definition you want to use (in your case Default import definition). Select "Catalog > Process"... from the menu.

First you should leave everything as it is in the import wizard. After the import you can check if the entries were imported.

==========================================================

What you also can try is the following:

1. Open your termbase MultiTerm 7. Click on Termbase > Package/Delete termbase...
2. In the next dialog highlight your termbase and choose to package your termbase and save it at a location of your choice.
3. After you have done that close MultiTerm 7 and locate the backuped file and rename/change the file extension from *.mdb to *.sdltb (if you get asked if you really want to change it click on "yes".
4. Now just double-click the termbase with the *.sdltb file extension. It should be opened directly in SDL MultiTerm 2009.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards
Richard
Collapse

Elmar Bierbaum
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 15, 2011

Thank you Richard for all the recommendations

This is a problem I am working on from time to time, as time permits. I will keep you and potential followers of this thread informed about any failures / successes asap.

Best regards

Elmar

Elmar Bierbaum
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The second solution did the trick Sep 30, 2011

Hello Richard,

The second solution worked. This package option is really a simple and efficient way to migrate and backup the Multiterm data. Unfortunately, it does not seem to exist any longer in Multiterm 9.

Greetings

Elmar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 5 to Multiterm 2009

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »