"populating" a trados tm from "non-trados" files
Thread poster: ian ward (X)

ian ward (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:32
French to English
Aug 16, 2011

Apologies for this question from a Trados beginner, I think that what I want is a standard feature, I just don't know where to find it.....

Am I right in thinking that it is possible to generate a tm by taking a source file and its already translated target and, by fiddling about, matching up the segments, create a tm ?

Many thanks

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
Alignment tool WinAlign part of the SDL Trados 2007 package Aug 16, 2011

The fiddling around is called 'alignment' and it can be time-consuming. The alignment tool WinAlign is part of the Trados 2007 package - Studio itself doesn't have that feature.
WinAlign is awkard to use - blame its unintuitive design - but it is worthwhile to get to understand what it can (and cannot) do. It is also a program that likes to freeze up, so always store your projects.
By the way: MemoQ has a much more advanced Alignment feature that could save you a lot of time if there
... See more
The fiddling around is called 'alignment' and it can be time-consuming. The alignment tool WinAlign is part of the Trados 2007 package - Studio itself doesn't have that feature.
WinAlign is awkard to use - blame its unintuitive design - but it is worthwhile to get to understand what it can (and cannot) do. It is also a program that likes to freeze up, so always store your projects.
By the way: MemoQ has a much more advanced Alignment feature that could save you a lot of time if there is a lot to align.
Good luck!
Collapse

Steve Dreggs  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados 2009 Aug 16, 2011

Trados 2009 has an alignment tool too. I've not used it, but it's on the home menu at the top. However, it may just use winalign because it opens in a new window. If you have Trados 2009 maybe you could give it a go.

ian ward (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:32
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks..... Aug 17, 2011

to you both, I'll have a look at WinAlign...
and here are some "keywords" in case someone else (who is as lazy as me when it comes to getting to know a software) wants to search the forum for the same issue: alignment, matching, generating, generate translation memory content

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"populating" a trados tm from "non-trados" files

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search