Can't export to PDF in Trados 2009 SP3
Thread poster: Hoa Hoang

Hoa Hoang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Aug 17, 2011

Hello everyone!

I am new to Trados 2009 and is still struggling with it in various aspects. So today I have a favour to ask of you.

A new client sent me Trados 2009 packages .sdlppx to work on SP3. My Trados works fine until I have to export the file to its native file format. The file extension is ...pdf.sdlxliff, but when I do the exporting the target file is corrupted and won't open in Adobe. I try an alternative method which is "Save target as", but in the name fi
... See more
Hello everyone!

I am new to Trados 2009 and is still struggling with it in various aspects. So today I have a favour to ask of you.

A new client sent me Trados 2009 packages .sdlppx to work on SP3. My Trados works fine until I have to export the file to its native file format. The file extension is ...pdf.sdlxliff, but when I do the exporting the target file is corrupted and won't open in Adobe. I try an alternative method which is "Save target as", but in the name field of the save-as box I see .doc extension, not .pdf. Anyone can shed light on this problem for me? I don't know what else to do, and my client insists that the native file format is .pdf, not .doc.

Thank you a lot in advance!

[Edited at 2011-08-17 04:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-17 04:36 GMT]
Collapse

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:56
German to Swedish
+ ...
I wonder if it's even possible Aug 17, 2011

If Trados can export a PDF translation preserving its original layout, automatically dealing with all text reflow, hyphenation and text wrap issues that result from the translated text being different in length and language, preserving the original page design while fitting in all text - well, then Trados is quite an application.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Using PDF Aug 17, 2011

Hi Hoa,

When you open a PDF in STudio it will convert it to DOCX in the background and when you save the final file it will be DOCX and not PDF.

Studio will sometimes do a remarkably good job with PDF files... other times it can't..! The problem with PDF files is that they could have originated from anywhere and sometimes are just embedded images with no text at all.

My advice would always be, if you get a lot of these documents, buy a dedicated PDF tool l
... See more
Hi Hoa,

When you open a PDF in STudio it will convert it to DOCX in the background and when you save the final file it will be DOCX and not PDF.

Studio will sometimes do a remarkably good job with PDF files... other times it can't..! The problem with PDF files is that they could have originated from anywhere and sometimes are just embedded images with no text at all.

My advice would always be, if you get a lot of these documents, buy a dedicated PDF tool like ABBYY FineReader for example and you will probably save yourself a lot of headaches. Studio can be very useful, and a good tip is sometimes to open the PDF in Studio, save the target immediately so you have the Word version and then tidy up the Word file removing all unnecessary formatting. Then translate the Word file instead of the PDF. If you do it the other way around you might have to deal with a myriad of tags and still have to tidy up the document afterwards.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 17, 2011

Thank you Joakim and Paul.
It's just that my client keeps insisting that I can export the file to the native format, which is .PDF. I guess it's mission impossible now...

United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Not impossible.. Aug 17, 2011

... just means that after you complete the translation you just have to save it back as a PDF. You can do this from Word if you are using a recent version.

Regards

Paul

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Ask them what it's for Aug 17, 2011

The point of saving to PDF is usually to preserve the layout.

If your target Word file approximates the source PDF so well that it can be used to export a useful target PDF (identical in layout to the source PDF!) - congratulations.

But I suspect a saved-from-Word PDF may be useless to your client. It will in any case be difficult to edit.

The best thing is to ask them what they want the PDF for. (If they expect a flawless, publishable PDF page layout, they
... See more
The point of saving to PDF is usually to preserve the layout.

If your target Word file approximates the source PDF so well that it can be used to export a useful target PDF (identical in layout to the source PDF!) - congratulations.

But I suspect a saved-from-Word PDF may be useless to your client. It will in any case be difficult to edit.

The best thing is to ask them what they want the PDF for. (If they expect a flawless, publishable PDF page layout, they're asking for a lot more than a translation... unless it's an extremely simple document like a brief press release.)

[Bearbeitet am 2011-08-17 14:00 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-08-17 14:28 GMT]
Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
One other tip.. Aug 18, 2011

Hi,

If your client is after the file Joakim is talking about then you could tackle it another way (for more money I hope) and translate within the PDF. You would need an appropriate PDF application for this, but you could use the T-Windows for Clipboard application to make use of your Studio TMs and save the translation work to the Studio TM for another time.

SDL T-Window for Clipboard : ... See more
Hi,

If your client is after the file Joakim is talking about then you could tackle it another way (for more money I hope) and translate within the PDF. You would need an appropriate PDF application for this, but you could use the T-Windows for Clipboard application to make use of your Studio TMs and save the translation work to the Studio TM for another time.

SDL T-Window for Clipboard : http://tinyurl.com/t-window4clipboard

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A difficult client, probably Aug 19, 2011

Hoa Hoang wrote:

Thank you Joakim and Paul.
It's just that my client keeps insisting that I can export the file to the native format, which is .PDF. I guess it's mission impossible now...

Hello Hoa,
your client probably knows little what he/she is talking about. PDF is NOT INTENDED for editing purposes. If you received a PDF file and successfully loaded it into Studio, that's already a huge success.
I guess there are numerous free WORD > PDF converters out there, so use your DOC(X) file to print the PDF. If your client complains that you have failed to keep the original format 100%, point him/her to this forum thread.

Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 20, 2011

Thank you everyone!
My client sees the picture now, and I am required to convert my .doc file to .pdf. Now comes another problem of preserving the layout...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't export to PDF in Trados 2009 SP3

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search