David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:51
French to English
+ ...
Aug 17, 2011

Hello all,

When I come to translate certain segments in Trados, it oftens assumes a translation with an 80%+ match when, in fact, it's nothing like it. Even when I overwrite it with a whole new sentence the percentage barely changes.

Is this normal? I'm very aware that I'm still doing all the work and getting paid much less for it.

Many thanks for any suggestions on how to get around this. If this has been tackled in a previous discussion, please point
... See more
Hello all,

When I come to translate certain segments in Trados, it oftens assumes a translation with an 80%+ match when, in fact, it's nothing like it. Even when I overwrite it with a whole new sentence the percentage barely changes.

Is this normal? I'm very aware that I'm still doing all the work and getting paid much less for it.

Many thanks for any suggestions on how to get around this. If this has been tackled in a previous discussion, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

David
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Which version are you using? Aug 17, 2011

Are you using Studio?

David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:51
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you using Studio? Aug 17, 2011

Yes I am; SDL Trados Studio 2009

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Fuzzy algorithm of Studio Aug 17, 2011

David Howard wrote:

Hello all,

When I come to translate certain segments in Trados, it oftens assumes a translation with an 80%+ match when, in fact, it's nothing like it.

This is a well known problem: Studio's fuzzy match algorithm is a lot worse than that of earlier versions and can in no way be relied upon. You should regard anything below 100% as a "no match" indeed.

Studio gives tags and numbers too much weight while calculating fuzzy match values. Also, there is no real comparison on character level (which means that "Straßenverkehrs-Ordnung" (two words, hyphenated) will yield no fuzzy match for "Straßenverkehrsordnung" (one word)).

Examples of threads about this topic:

http://glg.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183991-how_to_have_trados_concentrate_on_relevant_text_rather_than_tag_material_for_finding_matches.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/196156-match_algorithm_expectations.html

David Howard wrote:
Even when I overwrite it with a whole new sentence the percentage barely changes.

Now, this is a different story. The percentage isn't supposed to change in this case.

Hope this helps,
kind regards,
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inaccurate percentages in Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »