MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 01:34
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 17, 2011

Hello,
if I can, I still use SDLX together with "Typing Assistant", an autocompleter. My productivity shows the same as with Trados Studio which is of course a purely personal fact.

Alas, the performance with big TM databases starts to get terrible. I managed with some tricks to reduce one of them to about 380 MB of size, and although I often defragment my HD, use the "Compression" feature in the Maintain section, no easy go: a concordance search even 1 word long will often take about 1 minute, sometimes it displays instantly (my system: Intel Pentium i5, 4GB RAM).

Is there any solution for that? How do you handle big TMs?
Although I set this TM for concordance only and NO update, the Windows Explorer shows that the TM file has been changed (new date). Is there a way to make it read-only but still usable by SDLX? (I don't know if this would change anything).

Thanks for any feedback!

[Edited at 2011-08-17 23:46 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Database engine... Aug 18, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

Alas, the performance with big TM databases starts to get terrible. (...).

Is there any solution for that? How do you handle big TMs?
Although I set this TM for concordance only and NO update, the Windows Explorer shows that the TM file has been changed (new date).

It's the last access data stamp.
It's not a problem.

Is there a way to make it read-only but still usable by SDLX? (I don't know if this would change anything).

I didn' test it but probably SDLX will simply throw an error.

IMO the problem may be the data base engine itself.
SDLX uses MS Jet (Access) databases which are not very performant.
As my main workhorse is DVX2 (also MS Jet based), I experience sometimes a similar kind of problems for huge TMs if all the automation is enabled.
As the SDLX TM data structure is copied almost 1:1 from DV3 (published more then 10 years ago), I suppose it's performance may be worse than in DVX(2) which has additional index files which speed up the searches.

Try to distribute your TMs on different physical discs.
More HDD heads your system has, more effective are the random database search operations.
Or buy a SSD disk and store your TMs there...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2011-08-18 08:59 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Grzegorz, Aug 18, 2011

Hi Grzegorz, thanks to take your time.

By going through the menus in Maintain, I found something that may be interesting

(I have to learn to insert a Print Screen... so, I still will go with plain text...)

In Tools > Options > Advanced > Object Management, you are offered to chose a basic or default saving method for your TMs. At least it appears to me as such. The options are:

SDLX - Microsoft Access : default
SDLX - SQL Server : could be interesting ?!
SDLX Server : Online access only ?

I've tryed to play with the settings, but with no success. What if I install an SQL server on my computer, maybe installing the free Across CAT which is shipped with it? Maybe I could then link an SDLX memory to SQL and - hopefully - increase speed?

Otherwise, what I have is:

- VMware + Windows XP Professional running in a separate 40GB image with 1GB RAM (modifiable) + D3D support

- 500+ GB external HD in a box that I must power on separately to read on my system

- Another XP laptop (500 MB RAM, AMD 3000 processor)

- My old Desktop computer has died recently (will wait for an i7, 8GB RAM as replacement). I wonder if emulator programs (also for gaming) will harm the Motherboard in a much faster way than "normal" software. However it must have been a lightning shock...

Mike

[Edited at 2011-08-18 11:18 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SQL... VMWare... Aug 18, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

By going through the menus in Maintain, I found something that may be interesting

(...)

SDLX - Microsoft Access : default
SDLX - SQL Server : could be interesting ?!
SDLX Server : Online access only ?

I've tryed to play with the settings, but with no success. What if I install an SQL server on my computer, maybe installing the free Across CAT which is shipped with it? Maybe I could then link an SDLX memory to SQL and - hopefully - increase speed?

Some time ago, a fellow translator said it speeds a lot SDLX and it was confirmed by a friend of mine.
I don't remember the details but it seems a good idea.
The problem is the backup procedure is more complex, i.e. with MDB files, you must only perform a simple file copy operation, the SQL server content must be exported.

Otherwise, what I have is:

- VMware + Windows XP Professional running in a separate 40GB image with 1GB RAM (modifiable) + D3D support

Some CAT tools (e.g. Idiom) may be tremendously slow and/or unstable if installed in a virtual machine, especially if the data are put on the host drive.
Idiom also uses MS Jet.
In the same way, the TMs I put on a machine with VMWare installed were more than 10 times slower to open/connect when accessed from the LAN (some time ago, my server crashed ans I used temporarily my VMWare server as replacement).
I suppose your problem may be VMWare.

First at all, put your data in the guest OS drive.
It's a good practice to create a fixed size disk (by default, dynamic disks are created for guests) but if the data location change works, let it "as is".

- My old Desktop computer has died recently (will wait for an i7, 8GB RAM as replacement). I wonder if emulator programs (also for gaming) will harm the Motherboard in a much faster way than "normal" software. However it must have been a lightning shock

It must have been a lightning shock.
The emulation will have no impact here...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2011-08-18 12:05 GMT]

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
SQL Server Aug 18, 2011

Hi,

It is definitively faster with the big TM's on a SQL Server - I have all my big mamma's on this server.

It is possible to use the SDLX TM's with Studio: http://www.sdl.com/de/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/Default.aspx

Geneviève

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Geneviève, Aug 19, 2011

how did you get an SDLX memory into an SQL server?
I guess you've installed SQL server on your system first. Which version?
Do you then use the Maintain menu (Tools > Options > Advanced...) to define such a Memory?

Thanks to let me know!
Mike

Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Procedure Aug 19, 2011

Hallo Mike,

1. Step:
Install SQL Server: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express for the maintenance
- it works for me on machines with XP and Windows 7 (Pro and Ultimate) 32 Bit.

2. Step:

How do I create a SQL TM for SDLX?

If using SQL Server you need to create a new database on the SQL Server. You do not need to create any tables as SDLX will do this for you. Once you have created your SQL database:

Start SDLX and open MAINTAIN

Select Tools
Select Options
Select Advanced
Select Object Management
Click on Clear
Select OK

You can then create a new Translation Memory by selecting:
TM
New
A "Select Configuration" dialog box is displayed
Select SDLX - SQL Server
Select OK
XXX [your machine]\SQLEXPRESS
In the "Data Sources" Dialog select ADD
Give the TM a Name
Give the TM a description
Select the server that the SQL database is on
Use Windows Authentication
Select the database that you want to use.

Geneviève

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's very nice! Aug 19, 2011

Thanks very much, Geneviève, for these details.
I will go through these steps and post the results for documentation.

Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
[Updated] Necessary links Aug 20, 2011

Hi,

[CHANGED !]

I've found 2 pertinent links to keep in line with Geneviève's instructions.
If you are interested, please read the "Instructions" inside these Microsoft's pages, you'll need some additional system programs to install. These may differ wether you use a 32-bit or 64-bit Operating System.

The links:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 (SP3 necessary for Win7, 64-Bit)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/de-de/details.aspx?FamilyID=3181842a-4090-4431-acdd-9a1c832e65a6

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express SP3
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/de-de/details.aspx?FamilyID=5D76230D-580D-4874-8C7D-93491A29DB15

Documentation links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Server_Management_Studio
http://www.sqlmag.com/article/tsql3/sql-server-2005-management-tools
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server#SQL_Server_2008

[OLD CONTENT !]

I found a free download link under

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22973

I hope this will be backward-compatible with SQL Server 2005, otherwise I must find another dl.

A good WIKI entry about MS SQL Server with links can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server#SQL_Server_2008

Greets,

[Edited at 2011-08-20 18:57 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm stuck at creating a database in SQL Server 2005 Express Aug 20, 2011

Hi,

I've installed the components above and restarted my system.

In the SQL-Server Configuration Manager I've set the login of SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) to "Local system"

In the Management Studio Express I've tryed several times to create a new database by mousing under the folder System Databases and chose "New Database". I've given a name, and that's it, I haven't changed any settings.
The database will not create, the howle window is busy forever, on the lower left side I see "Status: Wird ausgeführt".

Can you at all create a database with the Express Version of SQL-Server Or do you need a commercial (corporate-like) version?

Thanks,
Mike

Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Not commercial system need Aug 20, 2011

Hi Mike,

You have to activate all the SQL services - in the Windows Services (Dienste) services.exe. The best is to set on automatic.

And the interface for your SQL server in the Studio Expresse console is ssmsee.exe.

Is your System XP oder Windows 7?

I created today 2 new databases, it was absolutely no problem.

Geneviève

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I succeed in creating a TM in SDLX using "master" Server Aug 20, 2011

Hi Geneviève,

I didn't hope to get an answer from you before tomorrow morning, so that's very nice from you, but I really don't want to bother you more than strictly necessary

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.
So far (before reading this post) I was able, following exactly your instructions, to create a TM in SDLX; I have chosed the first one, "master" as a Database in the Maintain menu New > TM ...

In the Windows Services, the SQL Server-Brower was deactivated; I have now changed it to automatic.
I will now run ssmsee.exe directly and try to create a DB after logoff/login of Win7.

In the meantime, thanks very much for sharing your time.

I wish you a nice evening,
Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SQL Server 2005 possibly not compatible with Win7 64 bits Aug 21, 2011

Hi,
I've tryed all possible Service packs (SP3), but I always fail to create any Database (see post more above).
I have succeed in VMware with XP Professional (32 Bit). The DB was created within 2 seconds. I've then tryed to transfer the DB, using "Anfügen" ("Attach"), but same scenario: the program goes in a forever loop.

Will try to see if Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition will show the same flaws.
Also, very strange that I didn't find any comments in no forums wathsoever...

Mike

Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
32 vs 64 bits Aug 21, 2011

Mike,

It is maybe the problem - my machines XP, Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate was always 32 bits.

Best,

Geneviève

PS: Have you administrator rights???

[Bearbeitet am 2011-08-21 11:59 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2008 R2 should work on Win7 Home Premium Aug 21, 2011

Hello,

after a longer serie of install failures, I made an inquiry at Microsoft and elsewhere.
The result:

Windows 7 Home Premium (on my laptop) is not supported and installs of SQL Server Express will not work, except the following which "could" be run by some tricks, however not worth doing

MS SQL Server 2005 SP3; it didn't work for me.
MS SQL Server 2008 SP1 (not later); The install of SP3 is buggy and didn't work for me.

What should work instead is :

SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26729

The file is SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe and 329 MB in size. It should contain a DB Manager.
However, the System Requirements are much higher.

Touchons du bois...
Mike

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX: Slow performance with big TMs - help appreciated

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search