Thread poster: Shankaran Viswanathan
Shankaran Viswanathan
Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:22
French to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2011

I converted a pdf source file into RTF and opened it in Studio 9. I am intrigued to find all these triangular formatting tags on both source and target columns. Apparently each word is formatted apart. If I remove them, it gives error messages.

Are the tag marks necessary when you have WYSIWIG display?

I tried pasting a screenshot into this msg but does'nt seem to work.

Vishwa

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
A similar post Aug 18, 2011

This post by SDL Support may help: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205577-cant_export_to_pdf_in_trados_2009_sp3.html#1789619

Shankaran Viswanathan
Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:22
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados vs ABBYY Aug 19, 2011

Thank you Selcuk, for your message. In fact ever since fax machines went out of fashion, we get only pdf files to translate and there is still no efficient solution to convert them into Word. ABBYY software is good but I feel the Trados conversion engine provides a far cleaner output.

Vishwa

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
translate the Word file Aug 19, 2011

Hi Vishwa,

Please read this part of SDL Support's post:

SDL Support wrote:

Studio can be very useful, and a good tip is sometimes to open the PDF in Studio, save the target immediately so you have the Word version and then tidy up the Word file removing all unnecessary formatting. Then translate the Word file instead of the PDF. If you do it the other way around you might have to deal with a myriad of tags and still have to tidy up the document afterwards.

Save the target immediately, that is "copy source segments to target" in SDL Studio and export a Word document. Then clean unnecessary formatting in Word.

David Turner's CodeZapper is a good tool for cleaning rogue codes. See http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

Finally import this Word file back to Studio and translate.

[Edited at 2011-08-19 23:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 9 beginner question

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »