Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
How many people are still using Trados 2007?
Thread poster: bunnynbear

bunnynbear
Local time: 05:47
Aug 19, 2011

most of the suppliers my company is using are still using Trados 2007. (I understand how out-of-date it is).

I am just wondering which one is most widely used currently, Trados 2007 or Trados 2009?

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:47
German to English
No customer has asked for 2009 Aug 19, 2011

Although I bought the upgrade to Trados Studio 2009 (or whatever it's called), I haven't installed it for a number of reasons. First, having lost one of my licenses due to a system crash (actually lost both, but SDL restored one of them), I'm reluctant to go through the arcane procedure of returning my license, then retrieving it after installing the newer version.

The second, and more important reason is that none of my customers who require Trados Workbench/TagEditor have moved to
... See more
Although I bought the upgrade to Trados Studio 2009 (or whatever it's called), I haven't installed it for a number of reasons. First, having lost one of my licenses due to a system crash (actually lost both, but SDL restored one of them), I'm reluctant to go through the arcane procedure of returning my license, then retrieving it after installing the newer version.

The second, and more important reason is that none of my customers who require Trados Workbench/TagEditor have moved to the upgrade. Until they do, I'm sticking with 2007 (and using memoQ whenever possible).

[Edited at 2011-08-19 22:47 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 13:47
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
My customers do not use Studio 2009 Aug 19, 2011

Kevin Fulton wrote:

The second, and more important reasons is that none of my customers who require Trados Workbench/TagEditor have moved to the upgrade. Until they do, I'm sticking with 2007 (and using memoQ whenever possible).

Same here, some of my clients moved to memoQ, XTM Cloud or started using their in-house CAT tools, but none of them use SDL Trados Studio 2009 which was released two years ago. So I don't think they will upgrade to Studio 2011 as well. There are many other alternatives for agencies.

[Edited at 2011-08-19 22:31 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:47
Member (2004)
English to Polish
No hurry... Aug 20, 2011

During those two years I had one request for Studio. So I would say that the agencies are rather reluctant to make the switch...

Still, it makes sense to translate 2007 formats in a more advanced program - MemoQ, DVX or Studio. The time lost on the conversion procedure will be quickly recovered thanks to improved efficiency of those tools.

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Switched back Aug 20, 2011

I have both, but switched back: in spite of considering myself experienced with tools, 2009 (Studio) has proven to be too unwieldy for me.

[Edited at 2011-08-20 04:09 GMT]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:47
Member (2004)
German to English
Hardly any agencies at all Aug 20, 2011

And I am still educating most of them that Word+WB and TXT TM exports are old hat. Almost everybody will accept ttx files and TMX exports back from me. But I wouldn't go back to translating in 2007. I much prrefer Studio.

95% are 2007 Aug 20, 2011

From my own experience, 95% of my clients still use 2007, although some have other CAT tools, like MemoQ.

I only got one offer this year and last year inquiring me whether I use 2009. Although I still use 2007 and haven't upgraded to 2009 which I don't intend to at the moment, I have never felt any inconvenience at all. The only agency which gave me the offer of 2009 let me take the job by giving me a license key and a download link for 2009 (of course I had to return it when the p
... See more
From my own experience, 95% of my clients still use 2007, although some have other CAT tools, like MemoQ.

I only got one offer this year and last year inquiring me whether I use 2009. Although I still use 2007 and haven't upgraded to 2009 which I don't intend to at the moment, I have never felt any inconvenience at all. The only agency which gave me the offer of 2009 let me take the job by giving me a license key and a download link for 2009 (of course I had to return it when the project was done). I had a hard time working with Studio 2009, and they even asked me if I was willing to purchase one, since they said they could provide me with the software 30% off the market price. But that didn't work for me, since I see a lot of topics everday on the forum asking questions or people having problems with 2009 which does not have a backward compatibility with 2007 or the earlier versions.

I expect 2011 to be better and user friendly than 2009, since one of the features is backward compatibility with the older versions.
Collapse

James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I believe it Aug 20, 2011

Yes, words from many users of 2009 are not so positive as 2007. They have chosen to come back to 2007. Obviously, 2009 and the following 2011 are still having some time to be proven more effective and functional than their predecessors.

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

I only got one offer this year and last year inquiring me whether I use 2009. Although I still use 2007 and haven't upgraded to 2009 which I don't intend to at the moment, I have never felt any inconvenience at all. The only agency which gave me the offer of 2009 let me take the job by giving me a license key and a download link for 2009 (of course I had to return it when the project was done). I had a hard time working with Studio 2009, and they even asked me if I was willing to purchase one, since they said they could provide me with the software 30% off the market price. But that didn't work for me, since I see a lot of topics everday on the forum asking questions or people having problems with 2009 which does not have a backward compatibility with 2007 or the earlier versions.

I expect 2011 to be better and user friendly than 2009, since one of the features is backward compatibility with the older versions.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Expected breakthrough didn't happen Aug 20, 2011

The only customer who asked me for Studio 2009 also was a Trados reseller.

Other ones either use other CAT software or none at all (my dream clients!), stick to version 2007 or run both versions in parallel.

It appears that the breakthrough expected by SDL Trados simply didn't happen. And... who is ready, willing and able to buy a new software package every 2 years?

[Edited at 2011-08-20 05:34 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
95% still use 2007 Aug 20, 2011

In my case.

toad
Local time: 13:47
English to Swedish
+ ...
no benefits for agencies? Aug 20, 2011

The agencies I work for also still use 2007 or some other tools.
I think it's the translators that benefit most from the new features in Studio, and there isn't enough incentive for the agencies to upgrade. I love Autosuggest etc, and only use 2007 to access clients' server TM's that aren't compatible with Studio. If all agencies started using Studio, it probably wouldn't be long before they would start to demand "autosuggest discounts"...
See more
The agencies I work for also still use 2007 or some other tools.
I think it's the translators that benefit most from the new features in Studio, and there isn't enough incentive for the agencies to upgrade. I love Autosuggest etc, and only use 2007 to access clients' server TM's that aren't compatible with Studio. If all agencies started using Studio, it probably wouldn't be long before they would start to demand "autosuggest discounts"

- Torsten
Collapse

Silvia Schulz
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
More request for Trados Studio from Japanese clients Aug 20, 2011

Hi there,

I am mainly working for Japanese translation agencies or European agencies with Japanese clients and in the past months I received several requests for Trados Studio. At least for Japanese companies Trados Studio is getting momentum, it seems.

Therefore, I have just recently upgraded to Trados Studio, but I am still struggling a bit especially with the new side-by-side layout.

In any case, I am happy that Trados 2007 and 2009 can be installed on t
... See more
Hi there,

I am mainly working for Japanese translation agencies or European agencies with Japanese clients and in the past months I received several requests for Trados Studio. At least for Japanese companies Trados Studio is getting momentum, it seems.

Therefore, I have just recently upgraded to Trados Studio, but I am still struggling a bit especially with the new side-by-side layout.

In any case, I am happy that Trados 2007 and 2009 can be installed on the same machine and I am switching back and forth between both versions depending on the requirements from my clients. It seems to work fine for the moment.

Have a nice weekend,
Silvia
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Only one intent... and failed... Aug 20, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

The only customer who asked me for Studio 2009 also was a Trados reseller.

I was asked only one time for Studio 2009, finally the job was delivered as Trados 2007.

All the friendly translation offices use almost exclusively Trados 2007 even it they have T2009.
Some of them (few ones) explicitely forbid the Studio use (sometimes the TTX files generated by Studio are screwed up, especially if a Trados version earlier than 2007 Suite is used to create the TTX files).

The reason seems simple.
Even if one says T2007 is old, buggy, primitive, whatever, its bugs are well known and tested i.e. it's quite predictable unlike T2009.
Most translation offices adopt only well tested solutions, T2009 was not.
The corporate users never rush on this kind of product.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2011-08-20 09:29 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Quite so Aug 20, 2011

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

(.../...)
The corporate users never rush on this kind of product.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2011-08-20 09:29 GMT]

Quite so, Grzegorz. Rushing would indeed mean fixing issues rather than doing actual (rentable) work.

Although I have take my distances from Trados, I can say that T2007 is quite rentable... all things being equal.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Most agencies Aug 20, 2011

Most of the agencies I work with still use Trados 2007.

No problem, I always use Studio 2009 and deliver TTX files. I've never had a complaint from an agency about this.
And soon I will even be able to deliver bilingual docs with Studio 2011.

If agencies don't want to draw on the benefits of Studio, let them continue in their old ways.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many people are still using Trados 2007?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search