Thread poster: Vipec

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:24
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 19, 2011

Hi,

does anybody know how to import a MultiTerm2009 Termbase in SDLX?

Thanks in advance
Vittorio

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Which version of SDLX? Aug 20, 2011

Vipec wrote:

does anybody know how to import a MultiTerm2009 Termbase in SDLX?

Which version of SDLX?

The latest (patched) SDLX 2007 versions (at least, build 7080) handle Multiterm 2009 directly.
I hope you have this version.

If you have an earlier version, welcome to the Multiterm export filters hell.

If the termbase structure is complex (multiple languages etc.), it's completely unmanageable.
In terms of interoperability, none of these filters work correctly.

If your need a bilingual termbase, probably the easier way to do it is to export as Multiterm 5, replace the stupid language identifiers by the sound ones (language names), then import in SDLX using the wizard (select Multiterm file type).

If your termbase is multilingual, ask SDL for working CSV export filter.

Cheers
GG

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I own SDLX 2007 build 7080 Aug 22, 2011

Hi Grzegorz,

thank you very much for your reply.

I've got SDLX 2007 build 7080 but I still don't know how to use a MultiTerm 2007 Termbase in SDL.
To be honest I used SDLX only once and translating as well as using Trados 2007 TM was really intuitive and easy.
That time I could use a SDLX *.tdb Termbase which I received, but this time I need to use my *.sdltb MultiTerm 2007 Termbase but SDLX doesn't recognize that file extension by importing it.

Do you know how I should proceed?

Kind regards
Vittorio

French to Polish
+ ...
SDL Edit menu, then continue just like in Workbench... Aug 22, 2011

Vipec wrote:

I've got SDLX 2007 build 7080 but I still don't know how to use a MultiTerm 2007 Termbase in SDL.
To be honest I used SDLX only once and translating as well as using Trados 2007 TM was really intuitive and easy.

You can always open ITD files in TagEditor or Studio.
I never tested it in Studio but TagEditor is OK.
The terminology recognition will be more stable than in Studio.

That time I could use a SDLX *.tdb Termbase which I received, but this time I need to use my *.sdltb MultiTerm 2007 Termbase but SDLX doesn't recognize that file extension by importing it.

Do you know how I should proceed?

Simply select your termbase in the MultiTerm menu in SDL Edit, then follow the standard procedure (the windows are the same as in Workbench).

Cheers
GG

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which file extension should I export? Aug 22, 2011

Hi Grzegorz,

which file extension should I use to export my MultiTerm 2007 Termbase in SDLX and edit it in SDL edit.

SDL Trados Translator's Workbench recognizes nearly automatically MultiTerm 2007 Termbases.

Cheers
Vittorio

French to Polish
+ ...
Remarks and questions... Aug 22, 2011

Vipec wrote:

which file extension should I use to export my MultiTerm 2007 Termbase in SDLX and edit it in SDL edit.

SDLTB
You don't need to export it.
You need just to declare it as a termbase to be used for your job.

BTW:
1) SDL Edit is NOT a termbase edition environment, it's a translation environment.
2) If you haven't Multiterm 2009, you will not be able to open this termbase in Multiterm 2007.
3) it seems in some operating systems the file/folder name aliases are not handled correctly by SDLX, so if you use a folder like "My documents" in your profile, the file may not be visible if your Windows is not English.

SDL Trados Translator's Workbench recognizes nearly automatically MultiTerm 2007 Termbases.

Sorry, a stupid question.
If you have SDLX 2007 build 7080, I assumed you have Multiterm 2009 (the build 7080 was distributed as a patch for Multiterm 2009 compatibility).
I'm right?

Cheers
GG

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm 2009 not 2007, sorry! :-) Aug 22, 2011

Hi Grzegorz,

sorry for the confusion, I meant MultiTerm 2009 as I have Studio Suite 2009 which contains SDL Trados and SDLX 2007 (which was likely the rason of my unconscious error).

Anyhow, I found out how it works thak to yous help:
Open SDLX->SDL Edit->MultiTerm menu-> Select and you can select directly MultiTerm 2009 termbases.

Thanks a lot again and sorry for the confusing reference to MultiTerm 2007

Cheers
Vittorio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

import a MultiTerm2009 Termbase in SDLX

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search