Trados Studio 2009 problem while exporting: 'An error occured while writing the document.'
Thread poster: Agnes Eglesz-Tabori

Agnes Eglesz-Tabori  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 23, 2011

Hello,

I'm working on a 10-page material for AI and I'm nearly finished. I thought I'd export the translation as I'd like to proofread it in Word, too but I keep getting the above mentioned error message: 'An error occured while writing the document.' It was a doc file originally. The same happens when I try to export the source... I think I changed nothing in any file structures and I've tried to export it on 2 PCs and it didn't help. I have the latest Service Pack.

What should I try next to be able to export the document? It would be somewhat painful if I should copy+paste every segment as there are a lot of charts in it.

I'd be glad if you could help me.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2011-08-23 15:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalya Sogolovsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:05
Member (2010)
Russian to Hebrew
+ ...
It's a pity Aug 24, 2011

no one seems to come up with a solution. I've had this problem quite a number of times and actually had to copy-paste the whole translation...

mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Hi Aug 24, 2011

I've been having that problem for some time now. It appears that some "hidden" formatting (e.g. bookmarks, hyperlinks, etc.) in original doc/docx files can sometimes cause problems in Studio 2009. It's worth to check the original file for formatting, or try to insert the file into Studio in alternative format (e.g. docx instead od doc). It also helps to do the following: Tools > Options > File types > click on file type (doc or docx) > mark all check boxes (maybe except for Asian characters)>OK. Worked for me, anyway.

[Edited at 2011-08-24 12:29 GMT]

Agnes Eglesz-Tabori  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Aug 24, 2011

mirekk: thanks a lot for your help, it worked. However, I had to import the previous xliff file into my TM because it didn't update itself automatically. Then I re-imported the original file as docx, added the TM and voila! In this format it has way more tags but I don't care as long as it can export my work. You made my day, thank you again!

mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Aug 24, 2011

Nevermind, always glad to help If you have too many non-relevant tags (e.g. tags specifying distances between characters, which I often get - it looks in Studio like letter-tag-letter-tag soup) I suggest you reformat the original text in Word: 1. clear all formatting, 2. restore original formatting without character spacers. Unless you talk about different tags...

[Edited at 2011-08-24 14:08 GMT]

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:35
French to English
+ ...
Same problem with me! Aug 25, 2011

I had a same or similar problem with an xls file where the finished translation could not be exported. I was finally able to identify the problem - the worksheet was protected !

What I mean is it is not easy to work with this software and its most dreaded scenario is that you put in long hours of painstaking work and end up not being able to use the results. My first exposure to Trados was more than 10 years ago and I had given it up very quickly. But with age comes wisdom and I realise today it is very complicated to develop and run such a complex software system. What I appreciate is the way these people keep going!
Vishwa
Dehradun
India

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
English to German
+ ...
Got the same error message in SDL Trados Studio 2011. Apr 25, 2012

Agnes Tabori wrote:

What should I try next to be able to export the document? It would be somewhat painful if I should copy+paste every segment as there are a lot of charts in it.

I am also trying to save the target text as a doc-file (in SDL Trados Studio 2011). Unfortunately, I receive the following error message.

Failed to save target content:
An error occurred while writing the document.

Does anyone have a solution? Delivery date is this evening...

United States
English to German
+ ...
Task result after Verify Files Apr 25, 2012

Warning: The source or the target language of the currently processed document is not defined in the selected termbase. Check the Terminology Verifier Settings.

I don't really know what I am looking for there...

United States
English to German
+ ...
Verify document by using F8 Apr 25, 2012

I verified my document now by using F8 and receive the following:

Verification complete. No errors were reported.

Hmmm...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe too late... Apr 26, 2012

Hi Marina,

If this file was part of a project sometimes you can resolve an error like this by opening the document on its own with the Open Document command, pretranslate against your TM (or Perfect Match if you have Professional), and then save the target from there.

If this doesn't work and you still have time, feel free to send me the source file and the fully translated sdlxliff (if appropriate) and I'll see if I can help.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

United States
English to German
+ ...
The early bird gets the worm! Apr 26, 2012

Paul wrote:

If this doesn't work and you still have time, feel free to send me the source file and the fully translated sdlxliff (if appropriate) and I'll see if I can help.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the offer, but according to the NDA I wouldn’t have been able to send you the confidential file anyhow.

Well, I had to copy and paste approximately 10,000 words until 5 am this morning. At least my client is happy about the result…

Cheers,

Marina

P.S. I’ll keep your address, if something should occur again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 problem while exporting: 'An error occured while writing the document.'

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search