Weird Problem While Translating CSV Files
Thread poster: spiritfly
spiritfly
Local time: 17:41
Aug 24, 2011

Hello,

I'm new to SDL Trados Studio 2009, but I have managed to understand it as much as I need to. I have about 20 CSV files which should be translated. The thing is that when I open the CSV in the Editor in Trados, they don't convert correctly. There are some sentences which containt a comma in them, but they are in quotes, and Trados just won't reckognize the quotes as text qualifiers like Excel does for example. It simply treats the comma as a separator and brings the rest of the sentences into the second column.

There are many sentences like that. What should I do, any suggestions?

Regards.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lifeng Yang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:41
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why don't you open those in Excel, save as xls, then translate? Aug 24, 2011

How about translating in Studio as xls, then export and save them back into csv?

spiritfly
Local time: 17:41
TOPIC STARTER
It was right before my nose! Well not exactly but.. Aug 24, 2011

Project Settings - File Types - CSV - Format = "Text is enclosed in quotes"

There, I ticked that and everything is all right.

Now that I have your attention.. I have another set of already translated CSV files, and most of the terms are about 70-100% match to the ones I need to translate.

How should I use the translated CSV's in Trados? Add them as Termbase, Memory ..What? And how? (sorry mentioned I'm beginning with this)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird Problem While Translating CSV Files

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search