Weird Problem While Translating CSV Files
Thread poster: spiritfly

spiritfly
Local time: 00:55
Aug 24, 2011

Hello,

I'm new to SDL Trados Studio 2009, but I have managed to understand it as much as I need to. I have about 20 CSV files which should be translated. The thing is that when I open the CSV in the Editor in Trados, they don't convert correctly. There are some sentences which containt a comma in them, but they are in quotes, and Trados just won't reckognize the quotes as text qualifiers like Excel does for example. It simply treats the comma as a separator and brings the rest of the sentences into the second column.

There are many sentences like that. What should I do, any suggestions?

Regards.

Lifeng Yang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why don't you open those in Excel, save as xls, then translate? Aug 24, 2011

How about translating in Studio as xls, then export and save them back into csv?

spiritfly
Local time: 00:55
TOPIC STARTER
It was right before my nose! Well not exactly but.. Aug 24, 2011

Project Settings - File Types - CSV - Format = "Text is enclosed in quotes"

There, I ticked that and everything is all right.icon_smile.gif

Now that I have your attention.. I have another set of already translated CSV files, and most of the terms are about 70-100% match to the ones I need to translate.

How should I use the translated CSV's in Trados? Add them as Termbase, Memory ..What? And how? (sorry mentioned I'm beginning with this)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird Problem While Translating CSV Files

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search