https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/206191-trados_2007_freelance_tageditor_clean_up_failure.html

Trados 2007 Freelance TagEditor clean-up failure
Thread poster: Chris Dawe
Chris Dawe
Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2011

Dear All, I'm trying to clean a TTX file in Workbench and get the following error message:

(-2147467259): File "C:\Users\Chris Dawe\Documents\Client projects\To_Trans\IT\Redefine ITALIAN verbatims for Translation (18-Aug-2011).xlsx" not found.
File skipped!

I named my TM "Redefine Italian verbatims for Translation" while the TTX file is called in full "Redefine ITALIAN verbatims for Translation (18-Aug-2011)". I thought there might be a clash there so I edited
... See more
Dear All, I'm trying to clean a TTX file in Workbench and get the following error message:

(-2147467259): File "C:\Users\Chris Dawe\Documents\Client projects\To_Trans\IT\Redefine ITALIAN verbatims for Translation (18-Aug-2011).xlsx" not found.
File skipped!

I named my TM "Redefine Italian verbatims for Translation" while the TTX file is called in full "Redefine ITALIAN verbatims for Translation (18-Aug-2011)". I thought there might be a clash there so I edited the TTX file name to that of the TM. I had heard from a German Trados support engineer back in 2006 that the two names need to be virtually identical. Whether that is the case, I don't know.

Has anyone ever come across this clean-up issue before??

Chris
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't change TTX name Aug 26, 2011

Hi Chris,

I'd suggest doing two things:

1. Make sure you don't change the name of your TTX file (it doesn't matter if the name of the TTX is identical to the name of the TM, what matters is that it must be the same name as that of the source file it is based on, so don't change it).

2. Make sure not to move the source or TTX file to a different location. They must stay exactly where they were when the TTX was created (usually in the same folder).
... See more
Hi Chris,

I'd suggest doing two things:

1. Make sure you don't change the name of your TTX file (it doesn't matter if the name of the TTX is identical to the name of the TM, what matters is that it must be the same name as that of the source file it is based on, so don't change it).

2. Make sure not to move the source or TTX file to a different location. They must stay exactly where they were when the TTX was created (usually in the same folder).

If you have the entire translation in your TM, you could try creating a new TTX, not changing the name this time, populating the translation from your TM and then creating your target file.
Collapse

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Source file Aug 26, 2011

Hi Nora

Thanks very much for your kind feedback. I have changed the TTX name back to the exact original TTX name, though the clean-up failed then too (first time around). I didn't actually ever have the Source file, the client sent me the TTX to process in TagEditor....I'm still not sure why the clean-up failed, as the TTX was just sitting in my Client Jobs folder, where all jobs I'm working on reside. I might just send the TTX and TM to the client to see if they can clean it. Cheer
... See more
Hi Nora

Thanks very much for your kind feedback. I have changed the TTX name back to the exact original TTX name, though the clean-up failed then too (first time around). I didn't actually ever have the Source file, the client sent me the TTX to process in TagEditor....I'm still not sure why the clean-up failed, as the TTX was just sitting in my Client Jobs folder, where all jobs I'm working on reside. I might just send the TTX and TM to the client to see if they can clean it. Cheers,

Chris
Collapse

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
English to French
maybe this Aug 26, 2011

file created on different computer or different version trados 2009
I had a clean up problem a week ago and the client could solve the problem on his file (had no problem in fact)

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/96146-_2147467259:_unexpected_tag_while_cleaning_ttx_inx.html

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Software versions and physical locations Aug 26, 2011

Thanks very much Albert. Nora touched on the file location aspect too. The TTX was indeed created on my PM's machine (I think) and who knows, he may be using Studio, not 2007 Freelance. He hasn't [yet] come back to me saying he has the same problem, so I'm wagering he has managed to clean it. Tally-Ho! I hope. Chris.

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:42
Italian to German
+ ...
File skipped - cleanup ok Aug 27, 2011

Hi Chris,

when you do not have the source file, this error message will always appear since Workbench is looking for the source file in order to overwrite its content with the target language during the cleanup process.
If you do not have the source file because the customer did not send it to you, you can nevertheless perform a cleanup in order to update your memory. In spite of this message, the segments are cleaned in your memory (please make sure that the "Update TM" opti
... See more
Hi Chris,

when you do not have the source file, this error message will always appear since Workbench is looking for the source file in order to overwrite its content with the target language during the cleanup process.
If you do not have the source file because the customer did not send it to you, you can nevertheless perform a cleanup in order to update your memory. In spite of this message, the segments are cleaned in your memory (please make sure that the "Update TM" option is selected in the cleanup window).
Please take a look at the cleanup log and check the values listed under "cleanup total". You will see that there are values in the "Segments" column of the "Cleaned" and probably also of the "Updated" lines. Furthermore, take a quick look in the memory, e.g. perform a concordance search for a segment you know you have changed after translation without using WB and which was now updated during the cleanup process.

As a rule:
1. Never change the name of the ttx file (as Nora already said) - if you do, the PM will have to change it back to the original name in order to create the target file.
2. If the customer sends you the source file and the ttx file, make sure they are in the same folder when doing cleanup or creating the target file (normally it is no problem to copy them from the "customer original" folder to the "work in progress" folder, as long as you copy both files). Please make sure not to alter the source file which you keep paired to the ttx file in any way, e.g. do not highlight critical paragraphs etc., otherwise it might be impossible to create the target file.

HTH
Martina
Collapse

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Log file Aug 28, 2011

Hi Martina

Thanks very much for the precis. Much appreciated. Yes Indeed I did have "Update TM" as the default setting when I attempted to clean the file. And yes the log file does seem to suggest the clean-up was performed. My problem was the physical file wasn't cleaned and that was confirmed by the Workbench summary table at the end of the clean-up process. If I've been sent a TTX, I never get sent the Source file as well, so I wasn't aware of the issue that both the Source and T
... See more
Hi Martina

Thanks very much for the precis. Much appreciated. Yes Indeed I did have "Update TM" as the default setting when I attempted to clean the file. And yes the log file does seem to suggest the clean-up was performed. My problem was the physical file wasn't cleaned and that was confirmed by the Workbench summary table at the end of the clean-up process. If I've been sent a TTX, I never get sent the Source file as well, so I wasn't aware of the issue that both the Source and TTX need to be stored in the same folder, but I am now. We live and we learn.

Thanks again, Chris.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 Freelance TagEditor clean-up failure

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »