help to choose Trados version
Thread poster: Evgenia M Attebery

Evgenia M Attebery  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
English to Russian
Aug 29, 2011

Hi! I'm just starting. I downloaded a free version of WordfastPro and learning how to use it, but there are a lot of jobs that require TRADOS. Which version of this tool is the best one and which one should I get just to start: SDL TRADOS STARTER, SDL TRADOS 2009, SDL TRADOS 2009 Plus?

Please help me to make the right choice. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Go for Plus Aug 29, 2011

Evgenia Attebery wrote:
Which version of this tool is the best one and which one should I get just to start: SDL TRADOS STARTER, SDL TRADOS 2009, SDL TRADOS 2009 Plus?

Many jobs that require "Trados" require Trados 2007, which is not included in the Starter edition. Also, the Starter edition can't import/export TMX and (AFAIK) doesn't have a glossary feature.

The Plus version allows you to install Trados on more than one computer, which IMO should not be an optional extra but a standard feature of any tool that is used by a freelancer (who commonly has at least two computers, e.g. a desktop computer and a laptop).

You can download a 30-day trial of Trados 2009, though. I'm not sure if the download includes Trados 2007, which would be the one that you should really learn to use.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:57
Hebrew to English
Be patient Aug 29, 2011

Why don't you wait for Trados 2011?

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Get memoQ instead. Aug 29, 2011

Hello Evgenia:

If you are just starting, I would highly recommend that you get memoQ (pro) instead (http://kilgray.com/ ), and stay away from Trados.

There are not as many jobs as you think that actually need Trados. Very often you can use another tool just fine. memoQ can export Trados compatible files. Also, if you can get your hands on a cheap old version of Trados (Workbench and TagEditor) somewhere/somehow, and actually buy and use memoQ, you are 100% compatible with Trados, but don't have to actually use it;)

Michael

[Edited at 2011-08-29 10:08 GMT]

Evgenia M Attebery  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
help to choose Trados version Aug 31, 2011

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Freelance Plus Sep 1, 2011

I agree if you're planning to get Trados, the Freelance Plus license is the best option. The key point for me is that you're allowed two installations, so you can switch between desktop and laptop, for example.

As for waiting, there is no need to wait in order to get Studio 2011. If you get SDL Trados Studio 2009 now you don't have to pay for an upgrade when Studio 2011 is released.

And as to whether you really need Trados, I guess it's a matter of your client base. In my case, the vast majority of my regular clients require Trados, that's why I got it in the first place and that's how I got some other clients afterwards, and while there's file format compatibility with other tools, I'd still rather do it in Trados if the client says they need/want me to use Trados.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:57
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
don't wait for 2011 - or wait long enough Sep 1, 2011

Ty Kendall wrote:

Why don't you wait for Trados 2011?

I'd say that after all we know about the company, you don't want to start using Studio 2011 anyway before at least the second service pack is out ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help to choose Trados version

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search