Studio 2009: Which files should I send to my client?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2011

The files I have on my HDD after having translated everything (though not confirmed the translations yet) are these:

.sdlxliff, sdlproj, the original .ttx

Furthermore, there is also a folder for each translated file which is called "File Types". But the files in this folder seem to be exactly the same for all 14 folders. So I wonder if I can exclude them when I submit my translation project to the client? And only e-mail .sdlxliff, .sdlproj and the original .ttx?

If I later also create a project and include the translated files in this project, are there any additional files (for the newly created project) that should be e-mailed to my client?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What did the client order? Aug 30, 2011

A translation, a translation in TTX files or SDLXLIFF files?
This is only you who can decide.
Leaving the segments unconfirmed is not the way Studio is designed to work, as that way you do NOT use the TM for matching within the file, so you omit all the internal fuzzy matches and also risk, that repetitions are not translated cosistently.
What is the reason for not confirming the translations while working?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The client ordered a finished translation and updated TM Aug 30, 2011

The reason I didn't confirm the segments is because it was actually recommended in a video tutorial for Studio 2009 that I downloaded. And I think it's really the best method because I can run a QA check for inconsistencies and correct them before finally quickly going through everything as the final step and confirm all segments.

So I will confirm the segments as the final step.

I was provided with a TM from the client but in this TM there are many inconsistencies (the same word translated differently).

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why making your life so complicated when things are so easy? Aug 30, 2011

You translate and confirm segments in the first step.
Then you open the same file for review and make changes - should the changes apply to repeated segments, they will be propagated.
I do not know that tutorial, but must admit it wonders me, what it recommends.
The way of working recommended by the tutorial simply means doing everything manually as would you NOT use a CAT... What shall be the advantages of a CAT when you do not fill the TM when translating? And if you are concerned about the quality of the TM, use project TM - then all the "dirty" translations will only be there, but the main TM will be updated with just reviewed translations.
Afterwards you deliver the translated file (task Finalize) and an updated TM - update the customers TM using the final translation and deliver that one.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use the procedure you describe with TW Aug 30, 2011

I actually work the way you describe when translating with TW so I was also a bit surprised when I found this recommendation in the tutorial. It's the SDL Trados Studio 2009 for translators tutorial by the way.

So the best way is then to translate and confirm, then review and finalize to get the target translated file. But I'm concerned about the quality of the TM so when there are many translations I'm not very certain about, what if I still leave these unconfirmed? Perhaps this was the point this tutorial was trying to make (although still confirm the segments before the QA check). And then, before I begin the QA check I confirm everything?

I'm not clear about what "use project TM" means. I mean, I have a TM from the customer that I use all the time. Isn't that the same as what you mean?

In TW when I changed anything (a confirmed segment) I think it was no problem because when doing the cleaning (finalize in Studio) the TM was updated with the new confirmed segments (provided I had checked the radio button for Update TM).

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Using project TM Aug 30, 2011

means, that when you start the project, a project TM is created, which contains an extract from the main TM, necessary to translate the job.
With this project TM you can do what you want, even feed it with nonsense, as it remains a part of the project and has no influence on the main TM. The main TM will be updated only with confirmed (and thus reviewed) translations after the project is finished.

My recommended way of working would be as follows:
- create a project including a project TM
- merge files to one single file for consistence and speed purposes during the project creation
- change the setting for AutoPropagation in "Prompt user" to "Always"
- activate the setting "Confirm segment after auto-propagating of an exact match"
- translate the merged file, confirming all segments
- in case of doubtfull segments, where you are insecure about translation, leave the Draft status
- in case of segments, which do not deliver an acceptable translation (ie. "broken" segments, where a complete sentence has been divided in segments by hard returns or segments, which imply "cross translation" - ie. segments, where the translation for the preceeding segment ist to be put in the next target segment and vice versa) right click on the segment, chose "Change segment status" and change the status to "Translation rejected" or even "Sign-off rejected"; this way such segments will appear translated in the target file, but never be used to update the TM
- save the translated file, close
- open the file for Review
- when reviewing confirm only segments, which you apply changes to - should that be repeated segments, the AutoPropagation will work again (as the Review process is overlayed on the Translation process)
- when reviewed, click the "Finish review" button to have all segments set to status "Translation approved"
- NOTE: segments set to "Translation rejected" or "Sign-off rejected" will NOT be automaticall changed status within the Review or Sign-off process unles you do that manually there
- go for Sign-off process if necessary
- Finalize the project

This will then produce the target translation and update the TM with all reviewed segments. Rejected segments will not be written in the TM.

This process is IMHO the optimal way of working in Studio for freelancers, even if that seems a process for a translation agency.
Using projects is a much better and sophisticated way for freelancers, even if many colleagues do answer, that they are not project managers...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Which files should I send to my client?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search