Studio 2009: Can I do a QA/verification of all 14 .sdlxliff-files in the project at the same time?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2011

For example, "The following window appears" has been translated and quality checked for inconsistencies in one document by using F8 (quick and easy to immediately view any inconsistencies) and corrected as "Nedanstående fönster öppnas då."

In another file, the same sentence "The following window appears" has been translated and quality checked for inconsistencies as "Nedanstående fönster öppnas" (which is also a 100 % correct translation).

WITHIN each of the two documents, there is now complete conformity whereas BETWEEN the two different documents there is an inconsistency: "Nedanstående fönster öppnas då" vs. "Nedanstående fönster öppnas".
So how can I do a QA in Studio 2009 for all 14 files at the same time for a .sdlxliff?

The languages in the example are English to Swedish.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, you can Aug 30, 2011

However, the consistence check will NOT work outside single files.
You should have created a project (still can do for translated files) and merged the files.
Then the QA would have found that.

In this case:
- produce translated final TTX files
- create a new project with these TTX files
- merge the TTX files during the project creation in one single file
- use only "Convert to translatable format" and "Copy to target languages" batch tasks
- after project creation open the file "For Review"
- run the properly configured QA checker then
- correct errors
- save file and complete the review task
- run the "Finalize" task

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Fredrik Aug 30, 2011

It would be much easier and much more convenient to work with merged files. I would suggest creating a new project, add your files there and merge them right after addition.

Natalia

[Edited at 2011-08-30 09:50 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If I merge the 14 .ttx files, in the last step how do I split them again? Aug 30, 2011

If I merge the 14 .ttx files, in the last step how do I split them again so that the client receives each .ttx file? Is that possible at all, after merging 14 .ttx files and translated them and run the QA check, can I finally split them up back to the same original 14 .ttx files?

Should I then, as the first step now, produce translated final TTX files? What alternative is that?:

Save Target As... or Batch Tasks/Finalize?

Save Target As... will generate the translated file (just as in TW), but what's the difference between Finalize?

But if I do this (produce translated final TTX files) I will only get monolingual target language segments in Studio.

No, I think I understand it now: Probably I should Finalize the .sdlx file that I have translated and now is open in the Editor window. And instead of the .sdlx I get .ttx (finalized .ttx files). But they are bilingual, not the monolingual file I get with Save Target As...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please try to understand the processes, when you read their descriptions in Studio Aug 30, 2011

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

If I merge the 14 .ttx files, in the last step how do I split them again so that the client receives each .ttx file? Is that possible at all, after merging 14 .ttx files and translated them and run the QA check, can I finally split them up back to the same original 14 .ttx files?

Don't bother, Studio will do - Generate target translations or Finalize and you're done.

Should I then, as the first step now, produce translated final TTX files? What alternative is that?:

Save Target As... or Batch Tasks/Finalize?

If you have single files, use Save target as.
For several files use "Generate target translations".
Do not use Finalize here.

[quote}Save Target As... will generate the translated file (just as in TW), but what's the difference between Finalize?[/quote]
Just look what Finalize does - Generate target translations AND Update main TM.
I think you will see the difference then.

But if I do this (produce translated final TTX files) I will only get monolingual target language segments in Studio.

Have you ever seen a monolingual TTX files?
Your segments in Studio will be source and target.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I keep the TM clean and how do I get an overview of the inconsistencies? Aug 30, 2011

So I just confirm all segments in each of the 14 .ttx files now, and then run the

Project/Batch Tasks/Generate target translations (for each individual .ttx file)?

Just two things concern me:

1. Can I keep the TM as clean as possible even if I confirm a lot of faulty translations now at once?
For example, during the review phase later, for each faulty translation segment can I just choose to reject that translation and write the correct translation and then confirm again? Will that delete the old translation in the TM? Or will it just add (propagate) the TM with a new alternative translation? Isn't there any simple way to, in one go, just delete the old translation in the TM and replace with this new one?

2. The QA check: In Xbench when doing the QA check for .ttx files and TW it's very easy to correct because there is text information about each and every inconsistency so I directly see the inconsistencies compared to each other and lined up under each other.

But in Studio 2009 all I get is a red cross and a reference to segment number. For 30,000 words merged in one big file it can be a lot of references to segment numbers (perhaps 30 references for one segment). Can't I get more information about QA/inconsistencies in one overall view? Or do I have to scroll to each segment and check it against the references from the small QA window?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No option Customize in the final step Aug 31, 2011

When creating the new project (I've included all the generated .ttx files there) there is no alternative for me to customize the final step to only include "Convert to translatable format" and "Copy to target languages" batch tasks. So I made a backup and will try now to use one of the three alternatives I have: "Analyze only". But I still will get these Batch tasks automatically selected (no choice to deselect them):

Convert to translatable format
Copy to target languages
Analyze file
Populate project translation memories
Translation count

I have not confirmed the segments (a few are confirmed automatically by the client's TM). Will do that in the merged single file.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No alternative for merging files Aug 31, 2011

The option Merging files is greyed out so I can't choose that during project creation. Will I have to define my own project template and work from that when I create the new project and merge files at the same time?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Selected the files, then the option for merging became selectable Aug 31, 2011

I just selected the files so the option for merging became selectable. But still I can't proceed with the final step because I can't choose any batch options, I only get the three alternatives for a Task sequence and for each of these Task sequences the Batch Tasks are already predefined (not possible to choose which Batch Tasks to use). Do I have to change the project template from Default to some other?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can I only customize batch tasks in the agency version of Studio 2009 SP2? Aug 31, 2011

Can I only customize batch tasks in the agency version of Studio 2009 SP2? No matter what I choose during project creation, there are no alternatives to customize the batch tasks (task sequence) in the final step of project creation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Can I do a QA/verification of all 14 .sdlxliff-files in the project at the same time?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search