Thread poster: jykim

jykim

Local time: 16:14
German to Korean
+ ...
Aug 30, 2011

Hello community,

Quick question regarding .xml and .xlif-files:

One of my clients asked me to provide him an ideal structure of xml-files to work with it in Trados 2007 (the company insists to use 2007). So, are there any specifications, beside the standard xml-blabla I could communicate him? It's mostly for Trados to interpret the files correctly without corrupting the translated files. I only remember that Trados got problems interpreting xml-files under certain circu
... See more
Hello community,

Quick question regarding .xml and .xlif-files:

One of my clients asked me to provide him an ideal structure of xml-files to work with it in Trados 2007 (the company insists to use 2007). So, are there any specifications, beside the standard xml-blabla I could communicate him? It's mostly for Trados to interpret the files correctly without corrupting the translated files. I only remember that Trados got problems interpreting xml-files under certain circumstances: for example, I am not able to fade out html-tags when they are outside CDATA-tags, or certain line brake tags will not be correctly written when saving the translated files - so any xml-expert out there? Is there anybody who could describe me his/her ideal xml-structure? BTW: What is the advantage of xml?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your support (-:
Collapse

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:14
German to Swedish
+ ...
XML advantages Aug 31, 2011

Among the advantages of XML compared to binary formats: Anyone can edit the file with a simple text editor; XML is to some extent self-documenting; XML file integrity can be validated using a DTD and standard validation applications; anyone can develop specialized applications by reading the DTD; XML can be displayed in any Web browser and formatted with CSS...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic definition for .xml and xlif

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search