Trados doesn't recognize previous translations but concordance does
Thread poster: crista_b

crista_b
United States
Local time: 03:58
French to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with Trados not picking up a previous translation if the capitalization is different. (I am working in Word files with Trados 2007 with general and concordance minimum match values at 70%)

For example if I have translated "My name is Crista" to "Je m'appelle Crista" and it is saved in the TM, later I come across the sentence with part of it in all caps ("my NAME is CRISTA"), and I select "Open/Get" in the Word file, the TM shows that it hasn't been translated, but if I open the concordance and copy it exactly as the English is (some words in all caps), it will bring up my previous translation. Consistency is very important so the translations must be the same; therefore, I can't have "My name is Crista" = "Je m'appelle Crista" and "my NAME is CRISTA" = "je SUIS CRISTA" (I know this is a simple example that wouldn't actually cause problems, but you get the idea) It's not very realistic to plan to look up everything I translate in the concordance to see if it was previously translated in a different case, but right now that's my only option.

Does anyone have experience with these issues? Is there a way to fix this? Am I just being dumb (highly likely icon_smile.gif)?

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was intrigued by your post Sep 1, 2011

Hi Crista,

I was intrigued by your post, it didn't make sense to me that you wouldn't be getting a fuzzy match, so I went and entered your sample sentences in a blank Word document, then used Workbench to process them. I get a 75% match on the second instance.

My TM options are set to 75% minimum match value.

So while I can't really help with why it's happening, I thought I'd at least chime in and say it's not usual behavior.

BTW, I made a short video to document this, please contact me by email if you'd like me to send it so you can see how it went.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados doesn't recognize previous translations but concordance does

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search