Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:33
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Sep 1, 2011

Hi.
I have spent the last 7 (now 8) hours trying to install MultiTerm with no luck. I’m posting some screen shots but as my operating system is in Spanish I’ll post what I believe to be the error messages in English. Trados 2007 installs fine as does Trados 2009, but when I try to install MultiTerm I get the message

“There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

The second error message is:
“SDL MultiTerm 2009 Setup did not complete. The error is:
Package ‘SDL MultiTerm 2009 Core Components’ could not be installed. Error irrecuperable durante la instalación (Fatal error during installation) Error number: 1603.

I have searched the forums and SDL support and tried all sorts of suggestions like:
For starters I watched an Installation webinar.
I disabled UAC (User Access Control).
Ran MultiTerm installer as administrator.
Set administrator account status to “Enabled”.
Logged on as administrator.
Installed KB3353-14.
Read this http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/kb/article.aspx?aid=3554&n=1&docid=4331
Then read article #229683. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229683 which I did not understand.
I also read this http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/kb/article.aspx?aid=3310&sf=1&var=
I downloaded the 63 page installation guide but can’t say I’ve read it all.
http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/support/sdl-trados-support
I also saw this http://www.msigeek.com/715/how-to-troubleshoot-the-error-1603-fatal-error-during-installation but I’m no IT expert and don’t understand it.
I JUST WANT TO TRANSLATE USING THE PRODUCT I JUST PURCHASED FOR USD $ 625. PLEASE HELP.
I really hope to be able to avoid paying USD $ 249.00 to get support for this.
Any help would really be appreciated as I was up translating until 4 am this morning and have work to deliver tomorrow also, which I will be doing without Trados I guess as I’ve already spent most of the day battling with this problem.
Thanks in advance

Rich

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could it be a corrupt download? Sep 1, 2011

Hi, Rich,

Sorry if this is too obvious, but did you try downloading the MT installation file again and then running it? Could it be a matter of files getting corrupted during download?

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not too obvious Sep 1, 2011

Hi Nora

I am re-downloading as we speak. I started about 15 minutes ago funnily enough. Fingers crossed it does the trick. It was actually the last thing that occurred to me.

I love your website by the way. Been there a few times and I might give Instant Text a go if I ever finish with this lark.

Thanks for your reply

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
had to install individual installers from installation folder Sep 1, 2011

I'd better post this in case anybody intends to provide a solution.

So its 3:59 am and after several re-installations with the same results, I finally have Multiterm installed by installing the individual installers from installation folder.

I have no idea why this was necessary but at least for now its done. Considering that it wasn't a regular installation it's yet to be seen whether things will function properly.

What a hassle. It's as through getting though all this ?#$%& is some sort of right of passage and having finally managed to at least for now have things installed as they should be, how would anyone ever wanna go though all that again, with this or any other software.

Good morning and good night.

Rich

MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:33
French to English
+ ...
Hello All Sep 1, 2011

I had a similar problem, different error messages, running Vista, that was on the second computer, which is almost a perfect copy of my main computer, almost identical hardware, and much the same installation of software, also Vista.
The only way I managed to install, was by shutting down just about every non essential service and programs.
That did the trick!

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe SDL Support will chime in soon Sep 1, 2011

I don't remember the last time I had problems installing Multiterm, although I certainly did at some point. I've been lucky (touch on wood) and things have run smoothly (installation-wise) recently.

Two colleagues I know recently installed Multiterm, one had all kinds of problems (eventually solved by installing one of the patches provided by SDL in the KB) and the other one didn't have any problems, so installation issues seem to be hit-and-miss.

Too bad Paul Filkin is not around this week, but he probably will have some words of wisdom when he's back or maybe someone else from SDL Support will chime in and help out.

Thanks for your kind words Rich and I hope you got some sleep!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:33
English
Windows Installer issue Sep 2, 2011

Hi Rich,

The issue you are having usually indicates an issue with Microsoft Windows Installer components on your machine, which we use in the background to execute your installer. This is why in your research of this error you are being constantly referred to Microsoft resources.

However, we do offer free support for Installation and Licensing issues through our Solution Finders:
http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2011/01/where-can-i-find-support-for-sdl-products.html

Cheers,
Luis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

7-8 hours trying to install SDLMultiTermDesktop2009_SP4_339

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search