SDL Trados preventing my computer from working properly. Disgusted...
Thread poster: Isabelle F. BRUCHER

Isabelle F. BRUCHER  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:05
English to French
+ ...
Sep 1, 2011

Dear All,

On 8th August I downloaded and installed the following software programs:

• SDL Trados Studio 2009 Service Pack (SP) 3
• SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP4
• SDL Passolo Essential (part of Studio 2009)
• SDL Trados Win Align (part of Studio 2009)
• SDL Trados 2007 Suite

and ever since:

- my MS Word 2003 software program does funny things; it has a new toolbar, a new template;

- worse: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, which has MS Word 2003 as an editor, does even weirder things (like my e-mails would get sent without my pushing on the sent button, which can be most embarrasing), so I ended up disabling Word as my Outlook editor, so now my e-mails do not look so nice any more, I cannot make bullet lists, etc. But I don't know how to enable MS Word as my Outlook editor again, I have searched in the Microsoft website, to no avail.

- even worse: I cannot exit my PC with the normal function: Start - Turn Off Computer - Turn Off (or Restart), I have to press the big button on the side of the tower, which is a barbaric way of turning off a PC !

Did other people experience the same problems ?

Did you find solutions ?

How do you enable and disable MS Word as Outlook's editor ?

I HATE CAT TOOLS ! You know why: they make you LOSE time, actually ! I have no idea why a majority of translators accept lower rates after investing so much time and money in those tools. We must be the only stupid profession, I guess - or is it because anybody can become a translator and there is too much competition ? Translating IS a marvellous job, but I would recommend it as a career only to my worst enemy, for the moment, I guess...

A disgusted translator...

Ozgur Demirel  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sure anything other than SDL is not the culprit ? Sep 1, 2011

While I could say that programs of the same author with conflicting functions may give way to problems occuring, the symptoms you experience make me raise an eye brow.

Have you recently tried making sure that your PC is virus/malware-free ?

If not, first of all, get Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware from here (Free version will do just fine):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

After installing and running a thorough scan of your PC with the software and sweeping your PC clean, if needed that is; go for Microsoft Security Essentials which is free for Windows owners below if you don't have an antivirus installed:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Let it do its job and see if symptoms such as self-sending emails or prevention of shutting down of Windows persist.

I don't have experience with those tools -although nor with any other CAT tools, tbh- yet however let's try to eliminate what may be causing your woes first. SDLs may turn out to be innocent.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:05
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never seen anything like that Sep 1, 2011

Hi Isabelle,

While Trados can certainly be frustrating at times, I've never had it interfere with other programs with behaviors like the ones you've mentioned.

I agree with Ozgur that it sounds more like malware than SDL software interference.

While Trados does install new templates in Word (multiterm.dot(m) and trados.dot(m)), it doesn't really have anything to do with Outlook. And the Word templates work with your normal template, they don't really change things that much. The worst thing I have seen Trados do to Word is causing error messages to pop up when I'm closing or opening Word, asking if I want to save changes to the Trados or Multiterm template.

I have no idea what kind of new toolbar you're getting, but maybe if you could share a screenshot, the community can help you pinpoint the source of the problem. The Trados toolbar is additional to your main Word features, it doesn't really interfere, and, if anything, people complain about the toolbar and menu going away (usually due to the template being disabled), not the opposite.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated right now, and I understand where you're coming from. Hopefully things will be running smoothly for you soon.

In addition to checking for malware, I would try restoring the computer to a date before the behaviors started happening.

All the best,

Nora

[Edited at 2011-09-01 15:27 GMT]

Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Passolo Sep 1, 2011

Isabelle Brucher wrote:

- even worse: I cannot exit my PC with the normal function: Start - Turn Off Computer - Turn Off (or Restart), I have to press the big button on the side of the tower, which is a barbaric way of turning off a PC !

I think I've read somewhere that this problem might be caused by Passolo. Try uninstalling it, if you don't plan on using it.

Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL Trados and Multiterm SP4 on XP Sep 1, 2011

If you have XP installed on your PC, there might be a conflict between MultiTerm Widget and the Synergy Quick Start process. See this article from the SDL Knowledgebase to solve the problem:
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&t=&r=0.947995483875275

HTH

Luisa

Isabelle F. BRUCHER  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will uninstall Trados and sue, I think. Never gave them permission to interfere with other programs. Sep 1, 2011

Thank you All for your support.

I just uninstalled Passolo, then tried Start - Turn Off Computer - Standby (instead of Turn Off or Restart, for now) and it did not work.

Now, I NEVER gave SDL the right to interfere with my other programs ! This is a right they give themselves, WITHOUT the user's permission!

Like the other day I installed Babylon (following a quickpoll on the subject), then uninstalled it within 24 hours because it had taken the liberty (without my permission) to install a "B" button right next to the "Minimize" button in the top right corner of EVERY screen ! I must click on the Minimize button a hundred times a day, so I could see the day when I was going to click on Babylon instead of Minimize, thus losing precious time (translations are usually for yesterday)... These people should be forced to ASK PERMISSION before interfering with other programs - I'm going to ask the European Parliament to add this as a law (you can make that kind of proposal from your computer!).

I also heard that there was a project to oblige all customers to pay within the month in the EU: it's about thime! A Belgian agency just wrote to me that it was supposedly "standard practice" to pay after "60 days end of the month"! The guts people have, whether it is software owners or translation agencies - these people tire me. I want my own, direct customers: no CAT tool and full rates, paid within 30 days. No more quoting, no more depending on dishonest idiots... Let's dream for a while...

As to viruses, I have always had Norton Antivirus and have never had any virus. The coincidence with Trados installation is very obvious, but thanks for thinking of it.

I might uninstall the whole Trados thing if problems persist and sue them for interfering with my other programs without my permission and stealing my precious time.

You know, this CAT tool thing, it's only making translation agencies and SDL people richer. There is a natural CAT tool in MS Word and it's the Autocorrect function, I have used it for years and it did make me save time, whether I would input translations or index files or document templates. And, guess what: it does not cost a cent, and it does not prevent your computer from working properly !

I also had problems with MS Word when I installed Wordfast in 2004, so I uninstalled it and all problems disappeared! And I had another computer than this one...

Thank you very much anyway...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removal requested by poster.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
--- Sep 1, 2011

I cannot exit my PC with the normal function: Start - Turn Off Computer - Turn Off (or Restart), I have to press the big button on the side of the tower, which is a barbaric way of turning off a PC !

Hi Isabelle,

From what you are describing here, your computer needs major maintenance (cleaning system clutter, fixing registry problems, tuning up the system, etc.) You clean your home regularly, don't you? You should also do the same with your computer. I would suggest using a good program to do this - System Mechanic, RegCure or other. Maybe it would be fine if you wouldn't do this yourself but better ask somebody other, maybe computer serviceman. After your system will be cleaned and fixed, all software will be running as is should run.

Natalia
P.S. One more minor remark. You write: "then tried Start - Turn Off Computer - Standby (instead of Turn Off or Restart, for now) and it did not work". Right, it will not work. Because Standby mode is far not the same as "turn-off and restart".

Ozgur Demirel  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
A newer route Sep 1, 2011

@Isabelle

So you say Norton was always there and, hopefully, running real-time (which I personally think a big hit on your system resources but anyways) then how about malwares ?

Toolbars don't come around for no reason and are generally spies opening the gates to your Personalii Computalium so I'd strongly suggest giving Malwarebyte's Anti-malware a shot.

Natalie wrote:

I cannot exit my PC with the normal function: Start - Turn Off Computer - Turn Off (or Restart), I have to press the big button on the side of the tower, which is a barbaric way of turning off a PC !

Hi Isabelle,

From what you are describing here, your computer needs major maintenance (cleaning system clutter, fixing registry problems, tuning up the system, etc.) You clean your home regularly, don't you? You should also do the same with your computer. I would suggest using a good program to do this - System Mechanic, RegCure or other. Maybe it would be fine if you wouldn't do this yourself but better ask somebody other, maybe computer serviceman. After your system will be cleaned and fixed, all software will be running as is should run.

Natalia
P.S. One more minor remark. You write: "then tried Start - Turn Off Computer - Standby (instead of Turn Off or Restart, for now) and it did not work". Right, it will not work. Because Standby mode is far not the same as "turn-off and restart".

Other than that, as Natalia mentioned above, you may be needing a registry cleanup as well, but not via the notorious iolo's System Mechanic. You may end up screwing your OS even further through that so I would, out of experience for 7 years now, suggest Tune Up Utilities 2011 (latest version). Download its fully functional 30-days-long demo and give its Registry Cleaner a go. Preferable run Complete scan twice or even thrice.

I understand how it obvious is since you claim all this mess broke loose after you installed SDL softwares but the symptoms are just too irrational.

Would you please take time to :

1- Update Norton's virus definition files now and run a full scan (keepin your PC running overnight, if you have to)
2- Download and install Malwarebyte's Anti-malware and run a thorough check
3- Download and install Tune Up Utilities 2011 and run a registry clean (and disk cleanup optionally)

and then report back to us how the result turns out to be ?

Sure, you can scrap SDLs away and see if it helps but we're trying to find a more friendly workaround that will ease your frustration with those CAT tools -maybe you'll love them.

Also Natalia is spot on about standby not being the same as shutting off.

Regards.

[Edited at 2011-09-01 22:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-01 22:39 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 1 working day
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Referring to a hidden post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
With or without SDL Trados... Sep 2, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

(.../...)
You know, this CAT tool thing, it's only making translation agencies and SDL people richer. There is a natural CAT tool in MS Word and it's the Autocorrect function, I have used it for years and it did make me save time, whether I would input translations or index files or document templates. And, guess what: it does not cost a cent, and it does not prevent your computer from working properly!

This is just your point of view, but you present it as would that be an absolute truth. Unfortunately it is as far from the truth as any other very subjective, personal statement.

Indeed - I have given up SDL Trados products back in 2009 and cannot say that I would be unhappy about that.

If colleagues want to use this software product or any other one, I'd say: the more power to them.

It is a matter of personal decisions.

[Modifié le 2011-09-02 09:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados preventing my computer from working properly. Disgusted...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search