SDL Trados Support Opinions
Thread poster: slickrock22
slickrock22
Local time: 17:25
Sep 1, 2011

All,

I am considering purchasing SDL Trados 2009/2011 Professional edition. I have been evaluating for the last few weeks and have posed 2 relatively simple questions to my pre-sales support contact at SDL. It is going on 2 weeks now and they have not been able to even look at the issue that I posted on this forum due to 'resource constraints' and i just posed another one today about my XLF export failing which I will post later today.

What I wanted to know without starting a flame war, is I have found that during the interview people are nearly the best they will ever be. I think this applies to software as well. During the trial period support is usually a pretty good reflection of what you can expect down the road. Before I make a purchase decision between the options, I wanted to collect some feedback about whether post sale trados support is as bad as pre-sales trados support.

They are also trying to sell me an ongoing support contract that I having trouble believing will be worth anything base don what I have experienced so far.

Thoughts an opinions, while staying professional, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefano Nicola D'Amato  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Little help from SDL, but there are always the forums! Sep 1, 2011

Hello,

I had the same issues as you did back in the month of June when considering to buy Trados or not.

This was my first experience with CAT software. From what I read, Trados is pretty bad when it comes to getting support. I may be mistaken, but I believe you have to purchase the option to get technical support.

Anyway, there are always employees of Trados monitoring these forums and they seem to give a hand when they can.

But to be honest with you, the absolute best technical support I have found for Trados are our peers in the forums. Most are more than willing to help you with a problem.

I know that is not what you should expect when spending a large sum of money on software (that may or may not force you to lower rates...that is a whole other can of worms), but that seems to be the reality. Good luck with your decision, and don't be shy to ask questions in the appropriate forums.

slickrock22
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 1, 2011

Thank you for the feedback!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:25
Finnish to French
Why Professional edition? Sep 1, 2011

slickrock22 wrote:
I am considering purchasing SDL Trados 2009/2011 Professional edition.

Just curious: why would you be considering the Professional edition (rather than the Freelance edition), ie. what features do you need that are not in the Freelance edition?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:25
Finnish to French
PSMA Sep 1, 2011

Stefano Nicola D'Amato wrote:
I may be mistaken, but I believe you have to purchase the option to get technical support.

No, you are not mistaken. It's what they call Premium Software Maintenance Agreement (PSMA), available in two flavours: Level 1 and Level 2. More info (for the Professional edition) at http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/support/sdl-trados-support/

slickrock22
TOPIC STARTER
Editions Sep 2, 2011

It is my understanding that the freelance edition can only translate up to 5 specified languages. I need to be able to tranlsate 40+. I am mostly just consuming updated TMs provided by freelancers in TMX format. If i have misunderstood please let me know.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:25
Member (2004)
German to English
PSMA Sep 2, 2011

I would go for the PSMA - flavour up to you. You never pay for another update again and they do respond to support requests within a reasonable time - if you mark them with the highest priority.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Support Opinions

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search