Can't send .sdlxliff to MS WORD
Thread poster: Oliver Hartmann

Oliver Hartmann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
English to German
Sep 2, 2011

Hi,

I've got an urgent request: Suddenly my SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 is playing up big time. First I had an error on computer start up for a while now, saying:

"An error occured whilst parsing the xml. Please check whether the file at C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDLMultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml is well formed. Root element missing." Then a second message appeared, telling me: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I deleted the error message and could keep on working as normal. Then after a while my MS WORD application started with an error message, saying: "An error occured in sending the command to the application". That happens now every time, when I want to view the .sdlxliff file in WORD, to save it as a .doc document. Now I can't open the Trados file in Word and therefore can't send the tranlated file to my client.

Has anybody an idea, what I can do to fix it? I'm desperate, as I'm about to finish my job, but can't submit it to my client.

Just to let you know: I'm very new to Trados and only know the basics. Maybe I made a mistake, maybe not. I've completed quite a few translations with my Trados program and never had any problems.

Please help me out!

Thanks you,

Oliver

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No idea, but... Sep 3, 2011

since you have Studio 2009, you must also have Trados 2007... export the memory to .tmx, import it in Workbench and use Trados 2007 to retranslate the file (either directly in Word or with TagEditor). Remember to update the memory in Studio before you export it, otherwise you won't get any hits.

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:09
French to English
+ ...
This might be similar... Sep 3, 2011

I had a similar problem with the with xml using MultiTerm widget. I solved it after reading this post:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/204404-studio_2009_multiterm_widget_error_message.html

I'm not sure if it will work for your Studio problem but it may be worth a try. You should back up the xml file before deleting it, of course.

Maybe Paul from SDL can chime in here, he usually reads these messages.

Good luck

United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Widget Issue Sep 3, 2011

The widget issue was resolved by just deleting the application. Didn't need it anyway and the error message never came back. But the problem with WORD is still present. Soon as WORD is trying to open, it will show me the described error and I can't open the Trados file to covert it into .doc.
Thanks for the help so far anyway.

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:09
Spanish to French
+ ...
conversion Sep 3, 2011

Hi Oliver,

I am a bit confused here. There is no conversion in Word.
If you have worked in Studio, you must save as target (therefore generating a target only file).
(Or you can use a plug-in from OpenExchange to export your file as a table with both source and target segment.)
But you cannot save the sdl xliff as a TRADOS segmented Word file.

Is that what you were trying to do?

Nicolas

Oliver Hartmann wrote:

The widget issue was resolved by just deleting the application. Didn't need it anyway and the error message never came back. But the problem with WORD is still present. Soon as WORD is trying to open, it will show me the described error and I can't open the Trados file to covert it into .doc.
Thanks for the help so far anyway.

[Modifié le 2011-09-03 17:47 GMT]

United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Open Word file direct from Studio Sep 3, 2011

Hi Nicolas,

Sorry for being confusing. What I usually do is the following:

As soon as I have translated my document I click on the button in the top left corner "View Target" next to the "View in:" button (right above the Editor). You have the choice of MS Word or Print Preview. That usually opens the file I have just translated in Word and I save it as .doc document. It's the easiest way I know and always worked fantastic.

Is that any clearer, or am I doing something wrong? As previously stated, I'm a coplete novice in Trados, but that worked so far for me.

P.S.: You have the choice to view the source or the target document in this option. This is also how I convert PDF into Word to get a proper word count.

Thanks,

Oliver

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:09
Spanish to French
+ ...
only this doc? Sep 3, 2011

OK, I see now. Have you tried with other docs and see what happens?
I've had issues in the past with Word docs because of format issues. For example, when it's a document generated from a PDF, you end up with a plethora of tags that can drive other pieces of software crazy.
Also, does it display the same message if you try and save as target?

United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Problem found (probably) Sep 4, 2011

Hi Nicolas,

I think, I found the problem, or at least a part of it.
Studio was linked into my Word program (to be seen on top of the Word window), which it should be. That alone caused probably havoc, when the formatting (tags) was a nightmare (as you already suggested). As I'm running british software, I needed a German spell checker for my work. I installed the German software "Duden - Deutsche Rechtscheibung) to do the grammar, spelling, context etc. checks for me and that's where the problem must have been. The combination of 2 very different add-ons in Word probably made Word committing suicide. I de-installed the spell checker and I've seen an improvement immediately. Word still didn't open on the first attempt, but when I tried it a few times, it worked.
Of course I was still not happy, so I decided to backup my computer, save all necessary files and wipe all SDL software of my system. After re-installing everything (exept the spell checker) I decided to try it again and it was running like new. No problems at all.
My conclusion is: Studio is overloading Word and after a while Word is just changing some properties (no idea which ones though). I'm sure, that Word 2007 on Windows 7 is not fully compatible with SDL software. Maybe some bugs need sorting by SDL. That causes the problems. I'm sure I will come across the same problem again in a while. I have not tried to install the spell checker on my laptop again. It is now installed on my second laptop where I will check the files in future. All is goodicon_smile.gif

Thanks for all your help and if you have any further suggestions, ideas or comments regarding this subject, I would love to hear them. Maybe it is still my fault as an unexperienced Studio user and I've done something fundamentely wrong (subconsciously of course).

Have a nice day,

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't send .sdlxliff to MS WORD

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search