Thread poster: Mariana T. Buttermilch

Mariana T. Buttermilch  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:41
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 3, 2011

Dear all,
I started working with Studio almost 2 months ago and the client sent me small projects first.

1) I've now received this assignment:

Words
Repetitions 8916
100% 1708
95 % - 99 % 13
85 % - 94 % 0
75 % - 84 % 0
50 % - 74 % 0
Neu (New) 32554

2) I do work with the following TRADOS chart:

100 % matches 20 %/total amount per word
95 % - 99 % 50 %/total amount per word
85 % - 94 % 50 %/ total amount per word
84 % -NO MATCHES TOTAL AMOUNT

Here my question:

Which % (of my chart) would apply to the 8916 repetitions or are these one referred only to numbers and signs and don't count at all???

Thanks in advance for helping me with this, have a nice weekend,
Mariana

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Repetitions can be tricky Sep 3, 2011

Hi Mariana,

I'm sure people will have different opinions, but for me, repetitions would be the same as 100% matches in your chart.

Studio determines the internal repetitions in a file, that is, how many segments are repeated, even if there are no matches in your TM.

Argentina
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yuo're right, they really can!! Sep 4, 2011

Yeap, you're right, that's why I'm asking because the whole wordcount is 43191 word and these 8916 words correspond to 3414 segments!

My question now would be: what's the difference between 100% matches and repetitions in Trados???.

Greetings from Argentina,
Mariana

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Whether they're in the TM or not Sep 4, 2011

Simply put: 100% matches are segments that are already in the TM, while repetitions are segments that are not in the TM.

For example, if I have a document with this content:

I see a green house.
There are many houses in this town.

My TM has a 100% match for "I see a green house", but nothing for "There are many houses in this town", so my Studio analysis results are:

100% match = 5 words
Repetitions = 21 words
New = 7 words

Which basically means:

-5 words are a 100% match because they already exist in the TM I used for my analysis (and this means you have to make sure you have the TM your client used for the analysis or you can end up with significant differences)

-The first time I translate "There are many houses in this town", those will be considered New words (7 words)

-The next 3 times "There are many houses in this town" comes up, they will be considered Repetitions. Of course, since I will have already translated them the first time they come up, they will now be 100% or CMs (Context Matches).

BUT... there is a problem here in assuming that those repetitions won't need to be touched, because what happens if there is more than one possible translation for the same segment?

For example, if a segment is just the word New, like this:

New
New
New
New

Studio will assume that it's 1 new word and 3 repetitions, but depending on the context, in Spanish New could be "Nuevo" or "Nueva", and Studio has no way of determining this, so I still have to go in and check each, just as I would with a 100% match for the same word.

[Edited at 2011-09-04 01:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-04 01:09 GMT]

Argentina
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
¡Mil gracias! Thanks a lot Nora! Sep 5, 2011

Dear Nora,
I thank you very much for your detailed answer, I just saw it this morning.

I can now understand how Trados counts words, and how I have to write my invoice according to that. You spent a lot of time in your explanation and it's really more than clear to me now. I appreciate your dedication!!

Greetings from Argentina and have a nice week,
Mariana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009: Wordcount

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search