Problems with SLD Trados 2007 installation under Windows 7
Thread poster: Sally Winch

Sally Winch  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2011

I can't install SDL Trados on Windows 7, or rather I have and now it just says it can't work. Has anyone else had these problems? I am of course in the middle of a job...
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
SDL give you free support for installation Sep 4, 2011

I imagine that you're talking about Studio 2009?

You are entitled to free support for installation and licensing problems.

Go to http://kb.sdl.com/
and click on the solution finder tab. Go to Download and Installation problems > "I get an error message during installation." You'll come to a form that you can fill in and then SDL will contact you by e-mail.

HTH,
Emma

Petar Zivanic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Compatibility mode Sep 4, 2011

If it's Trados 2007 you're referring to (since that's what the title of the thread says), than try installing in compatibility mode, that should resolve the issues you're experiencing now.

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback Sep 5, 2011

Really appreciate the help so far - thanks - I did find instructions on the SDL site but didn't have time to read them. Also it seems that they apply to Windows Vista but not to 7.

Just for your info it is SDL Trados Synergy 2007, not Studio, sorry.

Meanwhile SDL contact me kindly saying that Trados 2007 is not compatible with Vista OR 7 (which is weird considering the computer I bought in 2008 should have been with Vista and I had to wangle an XP - I would have paid 800 euro for ONE YEAR with Trados!!) AND I can upgrade for a mere 330 euro! How kind! I rate that offer with those for 0,024 euro a word - No-one's dared to offer me less so far...

Any more feedback welcome - this is going to eb a saga - had I known I would have bought the cheaper computer!

UG.

Sally

toad
Local time: 19:31
English to Swedish
+ ...
Works fine here Sep 5, 2011

Sally Winch wrote:

Meanwhile SDL contact me kindly saying that Trados 2007 is not compatible with Vista OR 7
Sally

Huh? I don't know about Synergy, never used it, but I'm running Trados 2007 (Workbench and TagEditor) just fine on my Windows 7 machine, along with Studio 2009. The only thing that didn't work was Multiterm 2007, but apparently there's a way to get that working on win 7 too.

- Torsten

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados 2007 Sep 5, 2011

Hi Sally,

You should be able to install and run Workbench and TagEditor with the version you have (Build 835). Synergy will only work correctly if you have SDL Trados 2007 Suite (Build 863).

You will get this build included if you purchase SDL Trados 2009. Once we release Studio 2011 it won't be included anymore.

Regards

Paul

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More frustration Sep 5, 2011

Thanks Paul

I have "CCM Suite 2007 Freelance" which I can't install... I don't know how to break it down into Tag Editor and Translator's Workbench - it's divided into Trados and Multiterm.

Any further help?

Thanks

United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados 2007 / Problem > Info Sep 5, 2011

Dear Sally

First I want to say that SDL Trados 2007 Suite definitely works on Windows Vista/7. I use it every day

Also don´t get confused by the product name "CCM Suite 2007 Freelance". It was the name of the package. It doesn´t change the fact that you have three different installers available for download in your My Account Area > My Downloads.
The one you need of is important in this thread is the installer for SDL Trados 2007 Suite.
It includes Translators Workbench, TagEditor, WinAlign, S-Tagger etc. (but not MultiTerm and MultiTerm Extract).

To your problem....

...what exactly is the problem you receive?

Do you receive an error message? If yes, can you write it here?
When does the error/problem appears?

Kind regards
Richard

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conflicting information Sep 5, 2011

Thanks Richard

You'd better tell your sales team. I couldn't get the form to show on Saturday for posting my problem with SDL and received an email this morning from the sales team telling me it doesn't work with either and I HAVE to upgrade!

I quote:

"I am afraid, but yes, your current Version of our Software does not Support the use of it on Windows 7 and Vista 64bit. See below the Upgrade Option for your current License
Upgrade from CCM Suite 2007 Freelance to SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus (Activation Code) + SDL MultiTerm 2009 Extract (with PhraseFinder) (N)
Normally €365.00
Now €328.00"

I haven't got time to keep trying today, but have uninstalled Trados, Synergy and --- was it SDLX? Can't remember. Anyway they were the three components on Uninstall, but on the download it's just "Trados 2007 Freelance" and "Multiterm 2007 Extract". Then there is "Trados Studio 2009 Starter" which I have never tried.

I will try installing again when I have time - next week probably - so until then thanks very much to all for all your help. I am relieved to know that it SHOULD work!!

Sally

United Kingdom
English
Solution Finder Sep 5, 2011

Dear Sally

If you still receive problems please go through our Solution Finder.

It far easier to keep track of this problem. I´m a Support Engineer and don´t always have time to follow all the posts and problems.

I think it can be really confusing (I think we feel all the same) when you try to get information and from every corner you hear something different.

If you would create a Solution Finder incident ( here: http://goo.gl/WiVuM ) then myself or one of my colleagues would get in touch with you and you always would have one contact that see you responses and can react on it.

I wish you good luck when installing again. If the problem reappears I would be happy to help when you open a Solution Finder incident.

Kind regards
Richard

United Kingdom
English
Solution Finder Sep 5, 2011

Sally Winch wrote:

I couldn't get the form to show on Saturday for posting my problem with SDL

Hi Sally,

Just a quick update to Richards post. We have created the case for you through the solution finder as you seemed to have a problem doing this yourself so this will get picked up in the next day I should think.

Regards

Paul

Christina Kjaergaard  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Any solution to this problem yet? Oct 24, 2011

I have exactly the same problem.....

I work with SDL Trados Freelance 2007 and have succesfully installed it in a Windows 7 environment (64 bit), but when I try to open the program I get the error message "Trados has stopped working".

What to do?

Kind regards,

Christina

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
partial operation - roundabout way of starting prog Oct 24, 2011

Hi Cristina

Yes thanks, I have 'sort of' solved the problem. I redownloaded and reinstalled everything, and it doesn't work if I click on the Trados icon. Moreover it comes up withg the error message 'Trados has stopped working' every day, as well as 'Trados Synergy is already installed'... HOWEVER if I open the SDL tab under programmes I CAN open Translator's workbench and work from there... I had a similar-ish problem on XP in the sense that I could sometimes only open Trados using the workbench. I haven't tried Tag Editor or anything else because I have never used them anyway... I hope this little bit of info helps!!

Sally

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with SLD Trados 2007 installation under Windows 7

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search