The context list is null. Could not get the last child.
Thread poster: Shankaran Viswanathan

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:43
French to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2011

I get this error message when trying to preview a translated file in Word. I am using Studio 2011 in Early Access programme. I think there is a similar error in the earlier 2009 version but nobody in this forum could point out a good solution. I am writing to Trados support but do let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Vishwa

India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Impossible to get support Sep 5, 2011

I tried hard sending a query to Trados support but without luck. If only the software ran well, I could earn enough to pay for PSMA support!

EnglishandForm  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
German to English
I'm having the same problem... Oct 22, 2011

...and wonder where the Trados people are with an answer.

India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For once, it is not Trados problem! Oct 22, 2011

As far as I could make out, this error is not generated by Trados but rather by the different Visual Basic and Java components that are installed. I think in such cases it is useful to keep the TM intact so that you can translate the file again after saving it in a different format. I hope this helps.

After using Trados even for a relatively short while, I find that this kind of error is very frequent. It is very frustrating not to save your work in its native format after workin g long hours. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way out. Best of luck.

Vishwa
Dehradun
India

EnglishandForm  Identity Verified
German to English
Thanks - any tips? Oct 23, 2011

Thank you Vishwa. This never happened until I intstalled 2011. Would you have any tips on how to correct this? I appreciate your response.

Nadine Gleasure  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:13
English to German
+ ...
The same error message Oct 24, 2011

Hi,

I recently bought and installed Trados Studio 2011 and since then I have not been able to create a final translated document!! I always get the same error message "The context list is null. Could not get the last child". This is very frustrating. Is there a solution to the problem because at the moment, my newly bought CAT tool doesn't help me at all!
Many thanks

Catherine Eising  Identity Verified
German to English
Same problem, any solutions yet? Jan 31, 2012

Hallo I'm having the same problem. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

I'm running Studio 2011 with service pack 1.

regards Catherine

India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No solution but some tips Feb 1, 2012

I find that such problems arise most frequently with Excel files and have learnt to look out for some standard choke points

Best to check if you are able to save the source as... If not, it is risky to start the translation

Then, check under Excel for protection of cells, worksheets etc

In the worst case scenario, save individual sheets and translate them separately.

Hope this helps

Vishwa

jonetang
Local time: 16:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
SDL offical solution Dec 30, 2015

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4656.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The context list is null. Could not get the last child.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search