Is this fixed in 2011?
Thread poster: Tapsa

Tapsa
Local time: 02:46
English to Finnish
Sep 5, 2011

Referring to

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/195736-studio_2009:_bug_in_translation_memory_search.html

Can you do searches in 2011 on partial matches in tm?

Tapsa
Local time: 02:46
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
I found how the search behaves (or at least some of the behaviour) Nov 17, 2011

I accidentally found out how the partial match search (Contains) seems to work in custom text fields (at least in Studio 2011 - I don't have 2009 anymore, so I can't verify this in it).

If the custom text field does not accept multiple entries, the Contains operator works as expected, so if you have e.g the text "John Doe" in the text field, searching for substring "Doe" with Contains operator results in a match.

However, if the text field accepts multiple entries (as is in my case), the Contains operator does not seem to work the same way.

In multiple entries text field you may have multiple values for the field, in this example e.g. "John Doe" and "Mary Doe", but then the Contains operator does not find anything with search string "Doe".

Instead, it needs the full string of one of the entries, so it results in match with search string "John Doe", and also with search string "Mary Doe" if both of them are entered in the same TU.

And if you use "Equal to" operator in a text field accepting multiple entries, the search seems to result matches only, if there is only one entry in the field.

Although this is logical behaviour in a sense, it is confusing and does not help when you need true substring search also in text fields accepting multiple entries.

[Edited at 2011-11-17 04:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this fixed in 2011?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search