Is this fixed in 2011?
Thread poster: Tapsa

Tapsa
Local time: 07:40
English to Finnish
Sep 5, 2011

Referring to

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/195736-studio_2009:_bug_in_translation_memory_search.html

Can you do searches in 2011 on partial matches in tm?

Tapsa
Local time: 07:40
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
I found how the search behaves (or at least some of the behaviour) Nov 17, 2011

I accidentally found out how the partial match search (Contains) seems to work in custom text fields (at least in Studio 2011 - I don't have 2009 anymore, so I can't verify this in it).

If the custom text field does not accept multiple entries, the Contains operator works as expected, so if you have e.g the text "John Doe" in the text field, searching for substring "Doe" with Contains operator results in a match.

However, if the text field accepts multiple entries (as is in my case), the Contains operator does not seem to work the same way.

In multiple entries text field you may have multiple values for the field, in this example e.g. "John Doe" and "Mary Doe", but then the Contains operator does not find anything with search string "Doe".

Instead, it needs the full string of one of the entries, so it results in match with search string "John Doe", and also with search string "Mary Doe" if both of them are entered in the same TU.

And if you use "Equal to" operator in a text field accepting multiple entries, the search seems to result matches only, if there is only one entry in the field.

Although this is logical behaviour in a sense, it is confusing and does not help when you need true substring search also in text fields accepting multiple entries.

[Edited at 2011-11-17 04:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this fixed in 2011?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search