International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

A very bad day in Studio!!
Thread poster: Veronica Coquard

Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 15:40
French to English
Sep 5, 2011

The basic problem is that Studio just shuts down... Over, and over, and over. But there are some other weird symptoms.

For example, when I get it going again, either my project will disappear form the list, or it will change names and take on the name of the file itself.

At first, it was just shutting down on one segment. Now it is just shutting down all the time, as soon as I open it.

I had the same sort of problem last week, and thought it was linked to the segment itself. I was able to "trick" Studio into continuing by creating a new probject with my half-translated text and manually copying each translated segment until I got to the untranslated part. I finished the job and thought no more of it.

Now the problem is really serious and I've already lost an hour trying to fix it, but it's just getting worse. I have a lot of work to do and have resorted to directly translating in Word, which is slowing me down.

Please help!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update Sep 5, 2011

Okay, so I can use Studio (2009, btw)... I just can't confirm any of the segments. As soon as I confirm, the whole thing shuts down, and sometimes I can't get my project back.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
And of course... Sep 5, 2011

Of course, OF COURSE, how silly of me, I can't get my translation on paper unless I confirm the segments!!

Maximum expasperation!!!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
try deleting the settings files Sep 5, 2011

It might be worth deleting these 3 settings files:
BaseSettings.xml, Plugincache.xml, UserSettings.xml
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

Close Studio, delete the files and re-open.
Hope it solves your problems.

By the way, you can get your translation "on paper" without confirming the segments. Just save the target file with shift F12. Confirming the segments only puts them into the TM, it doesn't affect the target output.

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Emma, you are a star!! Sep 6, 2011

Things are looking so much brighter this morning than they were yesterday!! All it took was a good night's sleep and your precious advice, Emma! (I NEVER would have figured that out on my own, and still don't know what exactly I just did, but it worked, and I'm back in business!)

So thank you, thank you, thank you, Emma!!

Problem solved!

P.S. I couldn't even get to the point where I was saving the target file yesterday. Any key shut the whole thing down. But it's all right now!

Thanks again, a real gold star for that one!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A very bad day in Studio!!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search