Thread poster: Bogdan Dusa

Bogdan Dusa  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:08
English to Romanian
+ ...
Sep 6, 2011

Hi,

I have several xls files, but Trados Studio won't open them. I have installed the Microsoft Office 2007 compatibility pack, still nothing happens, I keep on receiving the same error message: Exception hes been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Any ideas how to solve this problem? Thank you!

Bogdan

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Try using Excel 2007/2010 to convert to XLSX Sep 6, 2011

Bogdan Dusa wrote:
I have several xls files, but Trados Studio won't open them. I have installed the Microsoft Office 2007 compatibility pack, still nothing happens, I keep on receiving the same error message: Exception hes been thrown by the target of an invocation.

You may want to ask someone to convert the XLS to XLSX for you using Excel 2007/2010. I've noticed the DOCX/XLSX/PPTX you obtain with Office 2003 and the compatibility pack are not necessarily identical to what you obtain directly from Office 2007/2010.
Feel free to send me an XLS file and I'll convert to XLSX for you. I can also check whether it opens OK in Studio 2009.
Btw, have you installed the latest version of Studio 2009?

Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've done that before Sep 6, 2011

Hi Dominique,

I've done that before (I had another project and I sent the xls document to a friend who had MS Office 2007 and he sent me back xlsx files) but I'd like to avoid doing this every time. Isn't there any other method? Thank you!
Yes, I have the latest version of Studio 2009.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
The right time to upgrade to Office 2010? Sep 6, 2011

Bogdan Dusa wrote:
I've done that before (I had another project and I sent the xls document to a friend who had MS Office 2007 and he sent me back xlsx files) but I'd like to avoid doing this every time. Isn't there any other method? Thank you!
Yes, I have the latest version of Studio 2009.

I understand your reluctance to upgrade to Office 2010, but if you have established already before that XLSX files as produced by the "real thing" can solve your problem, maybe it is the right time to bite the bullet and upgrade? Especially since you are using the latest version of Studio 2009 and that still doesn't solve your problem. It's quite likely that if there are bugs in the DOC/XLS/PPT filters, these won't be fixed if the corresponding DOCX/XLSX/PPTX filters work fine on the same documents.

Praxishandbuch
France
Local time: 16:08
French to German
+ ...
try Microsoft open XML converter Oct 19, 2011

Hi,
I had the same problem. I tried almost every solution suggested in this forum (install service pack 3 and the compatibility pack, ...) but nothing worked. Then someone suggested me to use the Microsoft open XML converter to convert the original Excel-file into an XML-file (in windows explorer: right click on the Excel-file -> open with -> microsoft open xml converter (download is free, but check if you don't have it already). It generates a new file which I could import into trados without any problems. After translating I exported the file, then reconverted the xml-file into an Excel-file.
Maybe this is not the most elegant solution but at least it works...
Kind regards,

phb

Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've also tried with OpenOffice Oct 19, 2011

Hi,

Looks like we need to use a third-party application... I've tried with Open Office (converted from Word to OpenOffice), it had some small problems regarding the conversion back to Word, but I got over it.
I'll also try with open XML converter, hopefully there won't be any reconversion problems at all. Thanx a lot for the suggestion!

Bogdan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 won't open MS Excel 2003 files

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search