SDL 2009 Translation Memories
Thread poster: JoachimH

JoachimH
German to English
Sep 6, 2011

Hi,
we are working with SDL 2009 SP3 and are facing the following problem:

during the last years we translate (or better let translate) our software documentations form German (= source language) into different target languages (for example English, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian etc.).

For the translations into Asian languages we use English as source language. This means, for Asian languages our workflow consists of two steps: 1. German > English, 2. English > Japanese (for exampl.).

Now we are planning to use German as source language for ALL other languages, because we lose too much time and quality, if we perform this two step translation procedure.

My question is:

has anyone experience with using the content from a German-English and an English-Japanese TM and create a new German - Japanese TM based on those files?

I think, it must be a kind of alignment, like it was possible with SDLX 2007 for for different fm source files for example.

Any hint is welcome.

Thanks very much in advance.
Joachim

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
English
This may work... Sep 6, 2011

... but I can't say I have much real experience with this as I just tried it for the first time

Get a copy of Aspic Xbench and create tab delimited files from your TMs (so save to TMX first). Then open the txt files in excel and create a new excel file that contains columns for the German-English and English-Japanese. I used one as the base file and added two columns for the addition of the second. So I just copied and pasted English-Japanese in.

Then I aligned the rows on the English only and then deleted the two English columns (This was simple in my small test file). So now I have the excel file with German - Japanese. I save the file as a tab delimited file again and open this in Aspic Xbench. Then export this as a TMX after selecting the language codes.

The resultant file opened in Olifant ok... and imported into Studio too. But I did lose all the tags and formatting. So perhaps as a reference TM, text only, it might be useful... and perhaps someone cleverer on this forum who has done this in some seriousness could add their thoughts?

Regards

Paul

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
I was... Sep 7, 2011

... just going to suggest the solution that Paul described.

When you are at the stage where you get the four columns in excel (A - German, B - English, C – English, D – Japanese) perhaps you have not got the same English segments in the same row. To achieve this, I would sort column A and B according to B, and column C and D according to C. Now the same English segments should be in the same row. To check this, enter in cell E1:
IF(B1=C1,D1,”!”)
and copy that formula into each line by clicking and dragging down the right bottom corner of E1. Correct the rows having „!”. When corrected, copy column E and paste it (as values!) into column B.

JoachimH
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Sep 7, 2011

Hi,
everything works fine as you described it in your posts.

István, when I align the columns in the excel file and the rows in both english columns (B and C) are not identically, I should enter a formula in cell E1 and copying it down in all rows of column E.

So far I understand, but what I do not understand is: what do you mean with "Correct the rows having „!”.?

Thanks in advance for a small explanation.

Best regards,
Joachim

English to Hungarian
Correction Sep 7, 2011

Sorry, I omitted the "=" from the beginning of the formula to be put in E1. It is correctly:

=IF(B1=C1,D1,"!")

English to Hungarian
Hi Joachim, Sep 8, 2011

If you are sure that, after sorting, the English segments of German-English tm (column B) and English-Japanese tm (column C) are identical in each row, you can delete the two English columns – then you do not need working with column E at all.

Otherwise appearing of the exclamation mark in column E would show that in the given row the English segments are not identical, so German – Japanese segments cannot be automatically joined.

Best regards,
István

[Módosítva: 2011-09-08 06:01 GMT]

JoachimH
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi István, Sep 8, 2011

thank you very much for your additional hints.

When using Xbench I noticed that unfortunately it has no unicode support. In my opinion, this is a big issue; the other features I've tested (QA) seem to work all very fine.

The fact, that Xbench has no unicode support means, I connot use it for merging DE/EN and EN/PL into DE/PL. When trying to do so I lose some formatting for exapmple: Przegląd ( = overview) will convert into Przeglad.

Best regards,
Joachim

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Okapi Rainbow Sep 8, 2011

JoachimH wrote:
The fact, that Xbench has no unicode support means, I connot use it for merging DE/EN and EN/PL into DE/PL. When trying to do so I lose some formatting for exapmple: Przegląd ( = overview) will convert into Przeglad.

You can use Okapi Rainbow (make sure you get the new Java version) to output the files to tab-delimited files.

From there you can either go with the procedure described above, or simply convert the first base into two-column Excel file and then translate only the second column with the other TM.

The third option, most diffcult to setup, would be to translate the file directly in Okapi Rainbow. However, this would also be most efficient, as you can automate the whole process.
I cannot give you more specific directions, though, as I have not done it yet.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Olifant, too Sep 8, 2011

It turns out that the whole process can be done quite easily in Olifant, see:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/okapitools/message/2224

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Excellent tip.. Sep 9, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

It turns out that the whole process can be done quite easily in Olifant, see:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/okapitools/message/2224

Nice find... must have more of a play with this tool. Very clever.

JoachimH
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jabberwock, Sep 9, 2011

thanks very much for the link an the information.

Olifant works proper also with unicode and utf-8 files)

Best regards,
Joachim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL 2009 Translation Memories

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search