https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207026-sdl_studio_2011_and_linux_os.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL Studio 2011 and Linux OS
Thread poster: Temperance
Temperance
Temperance
Italy
Local time: 07:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 6, 2011

Will Trados 2011 be compatible with Linux operating systems?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:28
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Sep 6, 2011

Trados of any version is for Microsoft Windows only.

Omar Lobao
Omar Lobao  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
Strange... Sep 6, 2011

Maybe someone of SDL Trados can explain why?!?

But as Linux (and Apple computers) are considered the most reliable computers for professionals, why (again) trados will not be compatible with Linux (and apple)??

I think at this moment can be one of the best "features" that trados can "offer" to their client!!!

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Impossible! Sep 6, 2011

Most of CAT tools are proprietary products and they don't support any open source operating systems. Neither does TRADOS nor do Déja Vu X2, ACROSS, Wordfast, MemoQ and so on and so forth.

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
CAT tools supporting Linux Sep 6, 2011

AFAIK Wordfast Pro, Swordfish, CafeTran and some other CAT tools do support Linux by virtue of being Java apps. Wordfast Classic supports Linux indirectly since it works inside Word which can be run under Wine or Crossover Office.

Then there is always OmegaT though I personally wouldn't be able to do serious work in it.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Professionals? Sep 6, 2011

Omar Lobao wrote:
But as Linux (and Apple computers) are considered the most reliable computers for professionals, why (again) trados will not be compatible with Linux (and apple)??

I think at this moment can be one of the best "features" that trados can "offer" to their client!!!

The CAT market is not that big... Considering that Linux and Mac are used only on a tiny percentage of desktop computers, development for those systems does not make any economic sense.

Moreover, the most common source format is Microsoft Word. Some CATs will not even process the files if the suite is not installed, translators need it to check the final result, so Windows is a must anyway.

Neyle wrote:
Most of CAT tools are proprietary products and they don't support any open source operating systems.

There is no direct relation: there are many proprietary programs which can be used with open source systems and, obviously, open source programs which can run on proprietary systems. Of course, the fact that Linux users expect most software to be free, just like the system, does not make the market more promising...

Temperance
Temperance
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not free but compatible Sep 7, 2011

Sorry but I don't agree that " Linux and Mac are used only on a tiny percentage of desktop computers" and that a "development for those systems does not make any economic sense" because I think that there's a growing number of Linux users among people and professionals.

Moreover, I do not expect Studio 2011 to be free at all! I can and I would pay for it as I do right now with some CD-ROM dictionaries I have that are compatible with Linux.

The fact that the operating sy
... See more
Sorry but I don't agree that " Linux and Mac are used only on a tiny percentage of desktop computers" and that a "development for those systems does not make any economic sense" because I think that there's a growing number of Linux users among people and professionals.

Moreover, I do not expect Studio 2011 to be free at all! I can and I would pay for it as I do right now with some CD-ROM dictionaries I have that are compatible with Linux.

The fact that the operating system is free doesn't mean that each programme must be free...

I would suggest that SDL thinks about this problem in the future, because this compatibility could, in my opinion, increase the number of Trados users.

By the way, thank you for the answers.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
mac market Sep 7, 2011

Temperance wrote:

Sorry but I don't agree that " Linux and Mac are used only on a tiny percentage of desktop computers" and that a "development for those systems does not make any economic sense"

Whether you agree with them or not, the facts remain facts. OSX has a global market share of around 5%, and all linux distros combined have even less. That's not a lot when the CAT market isn't that huge to begin with. Now think about how much development time it would take to rewrite Trados to make it platform agnostic (now it relies on windows-specific things like .NET). Also think about the extra effort that would need to go into development/testing and customer support for every future release, all for a 5-8% larger potential target audience.
It's hardly a surprise that SDL isn't interested.

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:28
German to English
What we really want Sep 7, 2011

is cloud-based, platform independent software. Which is the way the world is going. SDL are apparently doing some cloud stuff but not Studio. And I can't find any hint that they are planning it either.

toad
toad
Local time: 08:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
no thanks Sep 7, 2011

Gillian Searl wrote:

is cloud-based, platform independent software. Which is the way the world is going. SDL are apparently doing some cloud stuff but not Studio. And I can't find any hint that they are planning it either.

My experience with cloud-based services (Trados server TMs, Dropbox, Google docs, Spotify etc) is that there's always some kind of network problems just when you need the service the most. IMO cloud services are good for backups etc, but not for real-time work, unless someone can invent an internet that never breaks down

And I have no issues regarding the stability and professionality of Windows 7.
I've tried Ubuntu Linux on a few occasions (mostly for making music), but i'd never use it for any real work, too much hassle and no real support (unless you enjoy reading hostile forum posts by linux nerds).

- Torsten

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Studio Online and the Cloud Sep 7, 2011

Gillian Searl wrote:

Hi Gillian,

Maybe take a look at this for the work we have been develolping for Studio in a browser:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/products/translation-management/sdl-tms/studio-online-2011/default.asp

The functionality is incredibly rich for a browser based application and it will become available for all of our Enterprise solutions. Working in a browser allows it to work on Linux or anything else of course... but I am in agreement with some of the comments already made in this thread that there is really no business model for us to invest the time in developing Studio to run natively in these environments. I know a few, not many, users who already run Studio on Linux and a MAC but through the use of virtualisation software.

Then of course we also have SDL BeGlobal:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/products/automated-translation/sdl-beglobal.asp

This is an exciting and growing area that is very focused on the cloud and does have good integration with Studio 2011 for utilising machine translation as well as post editing to help improve the quality of trained machine engines for specific verticals.

We have also set up an Innovation in the Cloud centre where you can learn a little more and get involved if you are interested:

http://events.unisfair.com/index.jsp?eid=741&seid=22

Just a few things for your interest.

Regards

Paul

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
So it does exist then? Sep 7, 2011

Thanks for that Paul. I have just been looking at BeGlobal - which is MT, if I understand it correctly. But having Studio via a browser makes a lot of sense to me. I could work anywhere on any computer I want to and not be limited to a Windows PC.
Gillian

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You might be interested in this Gillian Sep 7, 2011

Gillian Searl wrote:

Thanks for that Paul. I have just been looking at BeGlobal - which is MT, if I understand it correctly. But having Studio via a browser makes a lot of sense to me. I could work anywhere on any computer I want to and not be limited to a Windows PC.
Gillian

http://www.sdl.com/en/about-us/press-room/news/2011/sdl-cloud-translation-solutions.asp

David Oliveira
David Oliveira  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Teufelskreis Sep 10, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

but I am in agreement with some of the comments already made in this thread that there is really no business model for us to invest the time in developing Studio to run natively in these environments.

Although I understand your way of thinking, this is the kind of opinion that prevents our global society from liberating from the almighty Windows (the weakest link in our electronic world)....

Revolutionary talks aside, as a german would say, this is the typical "Teufelskreis" (vicious circle).

And why a vicious circle? I have Linux and don't intend to buy Windows but > my clients demand Trados> Trados only works on Windows>I have to buy Windows in order to be able to use Trados and meet my clients' demands> Windows grows in the translation market>other OSs lose force in the translation market> SDL doesn't see a business opportunity for linux and they keep to Windows>Newcoming translators have no money so they adopt Linux>their clients demand Trados> I think you can figure out the rest........
Talk about perpetuating the error......

Moreover, if there were no business models other than those that include use of Windows I guess Microsoft wouldn't have given itself the trouble of developing an Office for Mac, right? Plus, nowadays there are a lot of companies working on third-party paid software for linux and they seem to be getting along just fine!

Ever thought that an actual Linux/Mac release for Trados could increase the number of translators using Linux/Mac or that this "impediment" is preventing those translators from using these OS more frequently? I tell you, if it weren't for this limitation, I wouldn't have to have two computers, one for windows (which I mainly use for Trados) and one for Linux (for everything else).

Kind regards to you all,

David

PS: I always thought that the best way for a company to evolve and be successful was to search for or even create new markets or help them develop...but hey... I'm just a translator, not an economist...

ybhask
ybhask
India
CAT Tools for Linux 36bit (I use Ubuntu15.04) Nov 9, 2018

After reading the above comments, I have today tried to some of the CAT Tools based on Linux. I found that most of them such as AFAIK given above are for 64bit computers. The world seems to be tightening towards 64bit usage. For 32bit I found Cafetran. It is a Java application, Platform independent. I use portable jdk8. This can be downloaded from Net. Thus both java and Cafetran have become portable.

So far so good. Fortunately, the Cafetran.jar is also opening. Interface
... See more
After reading the above comments, I have today tried to some of the CAT Tools based on Linux. I found that most of them such as AFAIK given above are for 64bit computers. The world seems to be tightening towards 64bit usage. For 32bit I found Cafetran. It is a Java application, Platform independent. I use portable jdk8. This can be downloaded from Net. Thus both java and Cafetran have become portable.

So far so good. Fortunately, the Cafetran.jar is also opening. Interface is also good. Very rich in features. I started a New Project. Selected English-US as source. Gujarati as target languge (Menu has a number of option languages). I have also loaded an English .txt file (doc file can also be loaded). There is also an option to get Translation Segements from Internet Sources.

There may be some teething troubles from this point. But, I am confident, that something can be done.

Shall report further progress, if any good progress is made. I welcome suggestions, if anybody is using Cafetron and jdk8 portable or jre.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2011 and Linux OS

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »