Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:18
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Sep 8, 2011

Hi all.
My biggest concern is that I am not yet using Trados for clients that require it, basically because I'm worried that I don't have enough experience when it comes to working with packages and I have never used Trados 2007, and what especially worries me is that I am constantly coming across discussions regarding "unclean bilingual files" and other file types related to Trados 2007 of which I have no understanding. I have read quite a few posts from new users like me having completed translations and not knowing how to create the Trados 2007-specific files required by the client. I read this discussion http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207085-trados_studio_2011_download_ok_bilingual_word_files.html and from there read this http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2011/07/studio-2011-series-the-return-of-the-bilingual-word-filetype.html which is beyond me so I wonder if there is a proz course that would cover this and other topics to prepare me for 2007 compatibility issues when it comes to working with clients who "demand" use of Trados 2007? Would these topics be covered in the Advanced Trados Studio 2009 Certification course? Do these courses have more value than adornments for profiles or CVs?

So to sum up, although I now feel comfortable in the single document translation process in Studio 2009, I’m pretty scared about taking on a Trados 2007-required project. I would really appreciate any advice on this or on the right course to take.

Rich.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:18
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Trados 2007 Sep 8, 2011

Hi Rich,
Since I think I read on another post that you were going to upgrade to 2011 but already have 2007 and Studio 2009, you are in an ideal position.

You won't need to work in Trados 2007 in the future, because you will be able to use 2011, but it is worth getting just a little familiar with it. Right now, have a quick look at Trados 2007. Open up workbench from inside Word (make sure the Trados8.dotm template is in your Word Start-up folder under add-ins). Follow the video step-by-step guide that you have installed here:
Start>all programs>sdl international>sdl trados 2007 freeelance>tutorials>translation in sdl trados.
Don't try the tutorial on a real job. Just open any short doc file to translate it as practice.

Once you have understood how 2007 works, produced a bilingual file in Word, and cleaned it up, then you are ready to forget all about working in Trados 2007!

As soon as you have 2011 installed, you will only have to simply presegment a doc file in Workbench, and then open it in 2011 and translate it there (luckily you know how to translate a file in Studio already). Then you will be able to save it as a bilingual word file at the end of your translation.

By the way, the advanced Studio 2009 course and certificate do not cover bilingual Word files as they are not compatible with Studio 2009. The course is indeed useful to learn things you never knew about 2009. Start from the beginners one, and work your way up through the intermediate and advanced. Or, better still, wait for the 2011 courses to come out, because I'm sure they will cover bilingual word files.

So, now you don't have to dread taking on work from agencies that insist on bilingual word files as their delivery format any more.

Martyn Thirlway  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
What about using Trados-compatible software? Sep 8, 2011

I have a customer who uses Trados by default. However, I use Wordfast, which is much easier to use and can provide files completely compatible with Trados. Just an idea...

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:18
Member (2004)
German to English
Why not work with Trados 2007 for a few docs? Sep 8, 2011

You can do a few trial projects in Word + WB and TagEditor + WB just to get the hang of it. If you have a customer who insists that you deliver Word + WB (and first you should try to persuade them to accept tageditor files instead), give them the link to the blog on preparing bilingual Word + WB files and tell them to do it. After all they are insisting on using an out-of-date technology. If they can't do it I wouldn't have much sympathy with them at all - tell them you will deliver tageditor files instead.

Using tageditor plus Studio 2009 is really easy:
1) Open Word file in tageditor
2) Open workbench and create/open a TM in the relevant language pair.
3) Save Word file in tageditor
4) Close tageditor + Workbench and forget about both
5) Open Studio 2009 and translate. Create tageditor file and Word file in Studio 2009. Send back to customer

Make sense?
Gillian

Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Thanks Sep 8, 2011

I am so glad you brought this up as I have felt the same way recently.

And thank you to the ones who replied. You somewhat managed to demystify Trados 2007 and I will now give it a go using your helpful steps!

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
still confused but... Sep 8, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
it is worth getting just a little familiar with it. Right now, have a quick look at Trados 2007. Open up workbench from inside Word (make sure the Trados8.dotm template is in your Word Start-up folder under add-ins). Follow the video step-by-step guide that you have installed here:
Start>all programs>sdl international>sdl trados 2007 freeelance>tutorials>translation in sdl trados.
Don't try the tutorial on a real job. Just open any short doc file to translate it as practice.

Once you have understood how 2007 works, produced a bilingual file in Word, and cleaned it up, then you are ready to forget all about working in Trados 2007!

I will definitely take your advise and familiarize myself with 2007 as I'm still totally confused but of course you're right, I was equally or more confused when I first opened up Trados 2009, and I didn't learn a thing by thinking about it, so I'll start playing around with 2007. Thanks for the encouragement.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Start with tageditor + WB Sep 8, 2011

rich. wrote:
I will definitely take your advise and familiarize myself with 2007 as I'm still totally confused but of course you're right, I was equally or more confused when I first opened up Trados 2009, and I didn't learn a thing by thinking about it, so I'll start playing around with 2007. Thanks for the encouragement.

It is accepted by most customers. Only delve into Word + WB if you really have to. I wish you every success - I promise it gets easier as you go along.
Gillian

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
glad to hear I'm not the only one Sep 8, 2011

there are probably more of us...

Ditte Duclert wrote:
I am so glad you brought this up as I have felt the same way recently.

I was almost scared of opening up 2007, but hearing Emma's advise puts my mind at ease.

All the best!

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
customer acceptance Sep 8, 2011

Gillian Searl wrote:

It is accepted by most customers. Only delve into Word + WB if you really have to. I wish you every success - I promise it gets easier as you go along.
Gillian

thanks to you too for your encouragement

customer acceptance is what was really had me worried especially reading things here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205805-how_many_people_are_still_using_trados_2007.html
From my own experience, 95% of my clients still use 2007, although some have other CAT tools, like MemoQ"

and

Yes, words from many users of 2009 are not so positive as 2007. They have chosen to come back to 2007.

and

The only customer who asked me for Studio 2009 also was a Trados reseller.

and

95% still use 2007

and

I'd say 70% of my Trados clients want 2007, and the other 30%

but then Emma comes to the rescue again

No problem, I always use Studio 2009 and deliver TTX files. I've never had a complaint from an agency about this.
And soon I will even be able to deliver bilingual docs with Studio 2011.

xxxjapoole
...why this is a bad idea! Sep 8, 2011

Martyn Thirlway wrote:

I have a customer who uses Trados by default. However, I use Wordfast, which is much easier to use and can provide files completely compatible with Trados. Just an idea...

I would strongly advise discussing this approach with any customer you are taking on work from. Although the output files are 'compatible' (in that, they can be cleaned into a Translation Memory, and Opened in TagEditor), using WordFast will have an impact on the clients side.

The segmentation, word counts, and tags can differ between the products, which will have an effect should the client wish to reuse the resulting translation units in a different project, and this will than have a knock-on effect to any ICE/In Context/Xtranslate workflow that they may wish to run.

Best advice is, if the client expresses a preference on software, make sure you understand their reasons before deciding on a different product.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dreading taking on work that requires Trados 2007

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search