https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/20724-how_to_create_a_target_file_for_the_trados_source_files_i_have.html

How to create a target file for the Trados source files I have?
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
English to Arabic
Apr 28, 2004

I'm new to TRADOS, and I've been asked to provide translation from English into Arabic using trados. How do I create a target file for the Trados source files I have?

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:55
German to English
+ ...
View the intro material on the installation CD Apr 28, 2004

The Trados installation CD has several useful intro sequences for working with the software. A lot of your questions will probably be answered once you have looked at those explanations.

HTH
Dorothee

Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Preparing target document by using Trados Jul 5, 2004

Assuming you have prepared both Trados and Word to work together, you can start the translation process by first organizing your word files. This is what I usually do. You can do the same or follow your own design:

1- I open a new folder for the project.

2- Inside the new folder I open two separate folders
a- Source file - I copy the original file here.
b- Target file - I open the source file and resave it as RTF in the target folder which can be handled eas
... See more
Assuming you have prepared both Trados and Word to work together, you can start the translation process by first organizing your word files. This is what I usually do. You can do the same or follow your own design:

b- Target file - I open the source file and resave it as RTF in the target folder which can be handled easily by Trados.

3. Open the Multiterm.

4. So now you have three applications open at the same time, Word, Trados & Multiterm.

5. In Trados, I open a new memory file.

6. I go to Word document a place the cursor at the beginning of the text.

7. Then I click on the red open bracked and downward black arrow (Open/Get)

8. Trados will open the first text segment for translating into Arabic. It will also open a blank window to type in the Arabic translation.

9. After translating the segment and making sure of its correctness, I would select (Up and down arrow between the two red brackets) (Set/close next Open/get). This will save the translated segment and open a new segment for translation.

10. I will repeat step 9 until all the segments are translated.

11. What you get is the bilingual file (English/Arabic).

12. The last step is to clean the file using Trados cleaning
function.

13. What you get after cleaning is the "Target" file, which is the clean Arabic translation.

But, of course, you have to study the instruction manual as Dorothee explained.

Kind regards,

Sami
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This depends on the kind of source files you get Jul 5, 2004

Sami wrote:

b- Target file - I open the source file and resave it as RTF in the target folder which can be handled easily by Trados.

Why for God´s sake this? If it is Word document, leave the format as it is. Other source files come as rtf, if they can be processed with Word (ie. exported Framemaker files), so there is no need to resave them as RTF.

Using story collectors you´ll get file formats, which have to be processes with TAG Editor. Then there are some T-Windows for various file types. On top you can process Excel and Powerpoint directly in TAG Editor.

The best you can do is to take some look in the manuals and download tutorials from www.translationzone.com

7. Then I click on the red open bracked and downward black arrow (Open/Get)

8. Trados will open the first text segment for translating into Arabic. It will also open a blank window to type in the Arabic translation.

9. After translating the segment and making sure of its correctness, I would select (Up and down arrow between the two red brackets) (Set/close next Open/get). This will save the translated segment and open a new segment for translation.

10. I will repeat step 9 until all the segments are translated.

11. What you get is the bilingual file (English/Arabic).

12. The last step is to clean the file using Trados cleaning
function.

Use keyboard commands instead of mouse; ie ALT+HOME to start translating or ALT+(NUM+) to close and save segment and open the next one. You will be faster and this is more easy as using the mouse.
After opening the segment you can get a blank line, you can set Trados to copy source on no match (very usefull) or - if there is one - a match showing in your line and waiting to be adapted to the new source.
And you do not necesarilly need to clean up Word files in the Workbench. Sometimes it is advisable to clean up in Word.
All other kind of files do not need to be cleaned at all.

Regards
Jerzy

Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Let us not confuse the asker! Jul 10, 2004

Dear Jercy,

Your "For God's Sake!" gives me the impression that, for some unknown reason, you seem to be annoyed by my suggestion to convert files to RTF format before starting to translate with Trados. But, this is the very advice given in the Trados instruction manual. Isn't it?

On the other hand which files do not need cleaning? If (at the end of a hard mind-squeezing day) I have a bilingual file containing both the source and target languages, I should get rid of th
... See more
Dear Jercy,

Your "For God's Sake!" gives me the impression that, for some unknown reason, you seem to be annoyed by my suggestion to convert files to RTF format before starting to translate with Trados. But, this is the very advice given in the Trados instruction manual. Isn't it?

On the other hand which files do not need cleaning? If (at the end of a hard mind-squeezing day) I have a bilingual file containing both the source and target languages, I should get rid of the source language. Shouldn't I? This is also advised in the instruction manual.

Kind regards,

Sami
Collapse

Silvia L-C
Silvia L-C
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cleaning how? Sep 18, 2009

Hi,

I know it's been quite a while since you started this conversation, but I have a question about your instructions. The problem I'm having with my word file is that it shows both languages at the same time and I want only the target language. You mention sth about a cleaning tool, but I can't find it.

I tried editing with TagEditor, where it clearly shows you how to save only the target, but the format is completely lost.

How do I finish it up in Word?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TWB > Tools > Clean Up Sep 21, 2009

Hi Silvia,
in Translator's Workbench select Clean Up in the Tools menu, then in the Clean Up dialog box press Add to select the file you want to clean up and press the Clean Up button.
That's it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a target file for the Trados source files I have?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »