Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 21:32
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 9, 2011

Hello all,

Do you have any idea if it's legal/illegal to "lease" a Trados licence?

Say, I own a Trados licence, and a translator needs a Trados licence for a one-week $500 project, so he pays me $50 to use my licence for one week. Does anyone know if that would that be a breach of my purchase contract with Trados?

Thanks in advance!

Alain

Direct link Reply with quote

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Why not use the free trial instead? Sep 9, 2011

I'd be surprised if SDL - or any software provider, for that matter - would allow you to sublicense their software... But why bother, since SDL offers a 30-day free trial of Studio 2009, which your translator can use?

If it's just a matter of using a CAT tool for little or no cost, there are plenty or free/trial ones to choose from.

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 14:32
SITE STAFF
Starter edition Sep 9, 2011

http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-2009-starter/

The demo/trial of the full Studio 2009 may also work, but I believe there may be a limitation on TM or possibly some other reason why that might not be ideal (inability top export TM from demo?) perhaps someone can provide more detail.

The starter edition would enable you to do this project with minimal investment and ability to cancel after the month.

Good luck

Drew

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
limited size Sep 10, 2011

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

But why bother, since SDL offers a 30-day free trial of Studio 2009, which your translator can use?

There is a limitation: the translation memory accepts only 500 translation units.

Regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we "lease" a Trados licence?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search