SDLX won't convert a HUGE file
Thread poster: Jennifer Schottstaedt

Jennifer Schottstaedt  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Sep 10, 2011

Hello,

I'm having a massive problem with SDLX 2007. I have a massive SDLX translation measuring 113,000 KB as an .itd. The .rtf file is 460,000 KB, which is absurdly large, but I've deleted everything I dare to and I'm 99% positive I have enough disk space. I could not create a word document and finally just went through the SDLX main menu and created a translation there.

This translation keeps shutting Microsoft Word and apparently causes some kind of huge intra-Microsoft huge error, even though it's supposedly only 17,000 KB. I can't even look at it to see if SDLX translated it properly. I waited 45 minutes while Adobe tried to convert that file to a PDF and finally gave up, since it had only converted about 5% and I'm on a deadline.

I've tried splitting the original .itd file. After splitting them and trying to view the translation, they tell me SDL does not recognize these files and/or they do not exist.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am so lost. This conversion process has taken two hours and I have gotten exactly nothing done.

Help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:25
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Reduce size Sep 10, 2011

Hi, can you save the RTF as TXT? or Save parts of it and make several smaller files?
That would be a better starting point.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RTF can't open, either Sep 10, 2011

I can't even open the RTF. After 7 hours, it had barely loaded 2%.

Thank you, though!

Marc Duriez  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Software Sep 10, 2011

First, the source of the problem must be identified: software, operating system, computer (RAM, for instance) or file. A solution is to send the file to someone and see if they can open it.

Are you really speaking in thousands of KB? Do you mean that the .rtf file is 449 MB (corresponding to 460,000 KB)? That would be huge, for sure. This corresponds to about 450 million words with little or no formatting, but probably still millions of words with a lot of formatting.

Try opening the file in WordPad, maybe? The big softwares like Office take forever to open large files. I made a 6 MB .rtf file: it takes 3 seconds to open it with WordPad and I can scroll quickly to any page, while it takes 9 seconds to open it with Office 2010 and scrolling down is slow because it does not seem to load the document entirely at first.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fail! Sep 10, 2011

Okay:

I've sent it to another computer, which is a much better one than mine. WordPad will open the .rtf document, but it's lost at least half the images, turned the cover page into a large blinking color rainbow, and screwed up a lot of formatting. I honestly think SDLX didn't create the entire .rtf file that it needed to, so a lot of the coding just isn't in that document.

I really am speaking in thousands of KB. This document is 110 pages of very image-heavy text and loads of formatting, with only about 10,000 words.

Thanks very much for your help, though! I truly do appreciate it.

France
English to French
+ ...
Characters Sep 10, 2011

"This corresponds to about 450 million words with little or no formatting, but probably still millions of words with a lot of formatting." I meant characters, not words.

France
English to French
+ ...
Pictures Sep 10, 2011

etoilevineta wrote:

Okay:

I've sent it to another computer, which is a much better one than mine. WordPad will open the .rtf document, but it's lost at least half the images, turned the cover page into a large blinking color rainbow, and screwed up a lot of formatting. I honestly think SDLX didn't create the entire .rtf file that it needed to, so a lot of the coding just isn't in that document.

I really am speaking in thousands of KB. This document is 110 pages of very image-heavy text and loads of formatting, with only about 10,000 words.

Thanks very much for your help, though! I truly do appreciate it.

You're welcome. Yes, I think the file is corrupt. I thought it was a text-only document, but all the pictures made it huge, of course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX won't convert a HUGE file

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search