Multiterm 2009 - still the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." problem
Thread poster: David Oliveira

David Oliveira  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 10, 2011

Hi,

I've been using Multiterm 2009 and Trados Studio 2009 for some time now and had no major problems until this week.

In fact, this problem appeared only last Tuesday, and what's weirder it's that on that same day my actions were:

1. Use SDL Trados Studio 2009 with a termbase - all fine

2. Stop work and shut down my computer - as anyone would do to cut costs on electricity

3. Resumed work later that day, opened Trados Studio and my termbases stopped working.

When I try to open the termbase through Trados it asks me to check whether the termbase I'm using is valid or if I have permissions. My reply would be: "it was valid a few hours ago, why not now??? // and // of course I have permissions!!!"

When I try to access the termbase through Multiterm the reply is the same "check whether the termbase I'm using is valid or if I have permissions" (grrrr, I'm not a happy camper by now).

When I try to create a new termbase in Multiterm, I get the message in the subject of this post.

I have tried several solutions:

1 repairing Multiterm installation

2 Uninstalling and reinstalling Multiterm

3 Repairing Trados installation

4 disabling the "Enable next-generation Java Plug-in" as recommended in a post I can't find anymore

5 and the names of my termbases don't include any characters as stated in the following thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/146185-multiterm_2009_error_message_object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_object.html#1221601

6 Browsed the Talisma KB and found no solution for this specific problem

Tech Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium
SDL MultiTerm version: 8.5.0.0
Phys. Mem: 8317616 MB
.NET framework: 2.0.50727.5446
Java versions:
1.6.0_22
1.6.0_14
1.5.0_10

Exception type:
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

The only update my OS did on that day (the day everything went wrong) was for windows defender.

This is becoming a very annoying problem, mainly because I teach use of Trados. Classes haven't started yet, but when they do I will really need it to work. How can I tell the students this is a valuable piece of software that they should invest in and not even manage to get it to work properly?

Pleease help!

David

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to remove MT settings files Sep 10, 2011

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\8.5.0.0\BaseSettings.xml
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\8.5.0.0\UserSettings.xml

or rename those files.
Restart MT - maybe that can help.

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no go Sep 11, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\8.5.0.0\BaseSettings.xml
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\8.5.0.0\UserSettings.xml

or rename those files.
Restart MT - maybe that can help.

Thanks Jerzy!

At first it seemed as though it was going to work because the application automatically updated itself after I deleted those files and restarted it.

One odd thing is that I had redownloaded the MT file available on the SDL website, and the version the application auto-downloaded is more recent.

Unfortunately, I keep getting the same problem. I even thought it might be something wrong with the hard drive where the termbases are located, but I keep having the same problem with my termbases on backup, which are on another drive and would definitely not have been changed or attacked or changed by any kind of virus or even the application itself.

The problem remains, even if I run the application as an administrator.

This leads me to believe the problem is really with the application or perhaps something else on my computer, either Java or .NET.

David

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:24
Italian to English
Update Java? Sep 11, 2011

David Oliveira wrote:

This leads me to believe the problem is really with the application or perhaps something else on my computer, either Java or .NET.

David

It probably wouldn't hurt to update Java. The latest version is 1.6.0_26.

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will try! Sep 13, 2011

Giles Watson wrote:

I havent't tried it yet, but will do!

In the meantime, I also tried opening my Termbases on two other computers:

One in Vista OS

One in another Win7 OS (this one with the 1.6.0_26 Java version)

Both computers had the latest version of Trados and MTerm installed with the most recent updates....

...and my Termbases worked on both of them....so this is not a problem of faulty termbases definitely.

I'm pointing at the Java problem!

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NOT JAVA PROBLEM Sep 13, 2011

David Oliveira wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:

I'm pointing at the Java problem!

Just updated my java to the 1.6.0_27 (latest version) and it still doesn't work......

I'm either shooting my computer or formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the system from scratch....

I'll keep you posted

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2009 - still the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." problem

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search