I want to make some Tags Untranslatable!!
Thread poster: Adham Abdulraheem

Adham Abdulraheem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 06:52
English to Arabic
Sep 12, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I've read EVERYWHERE about this problem and noboy seems to have an answer!!!

I have an excel file with many tags (like <key> </key>, <label></label<, etc, that TageEditor doesn't recognize as tags and therefore treat them as translatables. This is reallly a waste of time since all segments actual contents are 100% matches in the TM client provided me, but TagEditor doesn't recognize the match (not even fuzzy) because of the many tags.

Please! I need TagEditor to recognize those tags (the tags themselves, not their contents of course) as untranslatable and spare me the fuss!!!

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

[Edited at 2011-09-12 16:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:52
English to French
+ ...
First things first Sep 12, 2011

What is your version of Trados, what is the version of Trados your client has, what is the original file format you want to translate?

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Versions Sep 12, 2011

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

What is your version of Trados, what is the version of Trados your client has, what is the original file format you want to translate?

I use Trados 7 and the client seems happy with it but I don't know what version are they using.

The original file is Excel sheet .xls

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
and those tags... Sep 12, 2011

Are they HTML tags?

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
I am not expert in this stuff Sep 12, 2011

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Are they HTML tags?

to be honest, I don't know whether they are HTML or XML tags or whatever. They are mainly and repeatedly 3 tags:
<label> Text to be translated </label>
<key> Mostly text not to be translated </key>
<value> Mostly text to be translated </value>

[Edited at 2011-09-12 16:57 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tags Sep 12, 2011

I don't have a solution for your problem (although I'd be interested in one myself).
I can help fix your original post, though. You can't just post tags in the forum, they won't show up. To fix this, you have to replace < with &lt; and > with &gt;.
I fixed your post:
Adham Abdulraheem wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've read EVERYWHERE about this problem and noboy seems to have an answer!!!

I have an excel file with many tags (like <key></key>, <label></label>, etc

[Edited at 2011-09-12 16:31 GMT]

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
LOL Sep 12, 2011

Thanks Farkas, I've just realized they didn't appear!! Stay tuned for the solution

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Round trip Sep 12, 2011

A solution which might be worth checking:

Copy the content of the xls to a Word document, mark the tags with tw4winInternal style, translate, export and then copy back to xls.

Please note that the round trip might result in loss of some Excel attributes (especially with more complex sheets), so make sure it works before you start translating!

By the way there's one other CAT that does it very well - you can tag regex expressions on the fly! I won't mention the name out of respect for Paul... If it proves to be useful enough, the feature will find its way to other tools - most of them do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want to make some Tags Untranslatable!!

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search