Is it possible to count words in a TM (.txt) ?
Thread poster: Danuta Michelsen

Danuta Michelsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
German to Polish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2011

Hello,

I'm proofreading a TM delivered by a client as a .txt file. My question: Is it possible to count the words in the source segments? The TM is very big and I'm looking for a convenient and effective method.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Danuta

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try a work around Sep 13, 2011

I don't know of any tool that will count only some words in a file, however you should be able to work around this quite easily if you have Microsoft Word.

Just turn the text into a table (using tabs as the separator) and then get rid of the column with the translation, the text that's left is the source.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 09:35
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
There is PlusToyz... Sep 14, 2011

PlusToyz wiil allow you to convert the Trados export (.txt) to a Word table, where you can count the words in the source column only. Beware that the word count in Word may be different to TRADOS'.

PlusToyz has become tricky to find in the Web. I would send it to you if needed.

Saludos

xxxkalap
+Two other workarounds Sep 14, 2011

1) multiply the number of segments by the arithmetic mean of a sample of 10 or 20 segments in an old translation. This will give you a rough estimate.

2) export the TM into .tmx, convert it into a Wordfast txt file using Olifant or Wordfast itself, paste this file into Excel, and then paste the source column into Word, display the number of words in Word.

[Edited at 2011-09-14 07:31 GMT]

xxxjapoole
Local time: 15:35
TMX Sep 14, 2011

If you are able to convert the file into TMX format, you can create a DTD that could use the tu lang attribute to correctly expose only the language you want to word count.

If not, you could convert the TXT into a Word document, and paint anything you don't want to count with the Trados external style, and then run a word count on the document?

Danuta Michelsen  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 17, 2011

Thank you for your help!

Danuta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to count words in a TM (.txt) ?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search