Spell Check on SDL Trados Studio 2009 doesn't work
Thread poster: Phillip C

Phillip C
United States
Local time: 03:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2011

My spell checker for Trados Studio 2009 is dimmed. I have tried just about everything I read in the documentation, in the forums on this site and other sites as well as in the articles on SDL Trados support ; so far unsuccessfully. It remains dimmed. I know the dictionaries are there in my program because I've been able to open them in notepad. The problem is I can't activate them. (I translate to English, Spanish, and Portuguese) As far as Spanish I translate mainly to the Colombian variation of that language and therefore most of my translation memories have names that include Sp-Co which is the Colombian variation of Spanish. I understand that the Hunspell dictionaries included in Trados 2009 only contain the Mexican and Spaniard variation of Spanish es_ES.dic and es_MX.dic. Could this be the problem? I read in another forum that if the name of your translation memories does not coincide with either the Mexican or the Spanish (from Spain) variation the spell checker does not work. Is this true? I tried giving my translation memories, names that include either the es_ES or es_MX but I still get no results. Any suggestions anyone? I desperately need the spell check to work.
Phillip

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
English
Add a dictionary Sep 14, 2011

Hi Phillip,

There is a KB here:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2691&p=1

That explains how to add additional dictionaries if the language flavour you are using is not part of the default set. It's not too difficult and will probably resolve your issue.

Regards

Paul

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already download it the dictionaries from Hunspell Sep 14, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion Paul but that I had already read that article and downloaded the dictionaries from Hunspell, before I did this posting. They were the same ones that already came included in Trados studio 2009, so now I have 2 copies of the same dictionaries, but that didn't solve my problem.

United Kingdom
English
Don't just add the same ones Sep 14, 2011

Hi Phillip,

I don't have time right now to go into a step by step, but the idea is to create a new dictionary that will be based on the language code you want. This article, and related areticles in it, explain how to do this. So basically you will be using the existing to make a copy and edit it to work with your language code.

I'm sure I explained this before in ProZ (or maybe TW_Users), but if you can't find it I will explain later in the week.

Regards

Paul

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Procedures to make the spell checker in Trados Studio 2009 work. Sep 14, 2011

Thank you Paul,
I was able to solve the problem. As mentioned before, it all has to do with the different varieties of the language. In my particular case it had to do with the variety of Spanish. I'll explain in detail how to do this, so that other people who may have encountered the same problem can solve it easylly. It didn't take me more than 3 minutes to take care of the problem. Trados Studio 2009 already has dictionaries and spellcheckers included in the bundle. For instance for Spanish it includes the dialect variation for Spain and for Mexico. You'll find these dictionaries and spell checkers here in your hard drive:

C:\ProgramFiles\SDL\SDLTradosStudio\Studio1\HunspellDictionaries\

In this folder (HunspellDictionaries) you'll find some (but not all) of the different regional variations of the languages that are included in Trados Studio 2009. Every language (or variety of that language) contains 2 files. For instance, for Spanish from Spain, you'll find the following files:

es_ES.aff
es_ES.dic

All you have to do is copy and paste these 2 files in the same folder (HunspellDictionaries). If you want the Argentinian variation of Spanish for instance, you'll proceed to rename those 2 files you just pasted so they look like this:

es_AR.aff
es_AR.dic

In my case I wanted the Colombian variety of Spanish, so I renamed the files to look like this:

es_CO.aff
es_CO.dic.

Once you've done this, you're going to do a search in your computer for this file:

spellcheckmanager_config.xml

This file is located in the folder \HunspellDictionaries but typically you won't be able to see it because it is an .xml file and those files are generally "invisible". Once you've found this file, you'll open it with note pad or any other word processor. In it, you'll see all the languages and varieties of the same language that are included in Trados Studio 2009. Every language will contain 4 lines. For instance Spanish from Mexico will look like this:

""
"es-MX"
"es_MX"
""

So if you wanted the Argentinian variety of Spanish you'll copy and paste the preceding 4 lines within the same file (spellcheckmanager_config.xml). Then, you'll modify the copy you just pasted to look ilke this:

""
" es-AR"
" es_AR"
""

After this you'll do a save and close the file. Now your spell checker will work for the Argentinian variety of Spanish. You can do the same thing for any language or variation of it. I hope this helps.

Phillip

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
incomplete posting Sep 14, 2011

Apparently the last part of my posting appears to be incomplete. I'm talking about the 4 lines that I refer to at the end of my post and which appear in the file "archivospellcheckmanager_config.xml". My posting is only showing 2 lines. Even though I wrote all four lines when I sent it, only 2 lines are showing. They don't show because they contain symbols such as this: < so the lines were interpreted as HTML language and don't show. I regret this happening. However, if anyone is interested in receiving the complete instructions to activate your spell checker, you can send me an email at mambo2me@gmail.com and I'll gladly send them to you.

Phillip

[Edited at 2011-09-14 17:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-14 17:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-14 17:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-14 17:49 GMT]

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:21
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
slightly off topic but still on dictionaries Sep 14, 2011

I'm sure this is common knowledge and found somewhere in the manuals which I can't say I've read very extensively, but I thought I'd post it.

I have spent years customizing my dictionaries in MS Word and "found" a way to add these for use in Trados.

Simply go to the location of your MS Word custom dictionaries (Windows 7 default location C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof) then go to Trados spellchecker CUSTOM dictionary (Windows 7 default location C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SpellChecker) and just copy all words for MW Word dictionary to Trados Custom dictionary. Done!

So like I said, I guess most people already know this, but I was relieved to see this was possible after years of adding words in MS Word.

Rich

Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 13:21
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
thank you Sep 14, 2011

Thank you very much.

I will try in a while.

Cheers

Hakan

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Instructions to activate spell check in Trados 2009 Sep 15, 2011

For those who read my instructions on how to activate the spell check in Trados Studio 2009, but couldn't benefit fully from them because they appear mutilated at the end, I found a way for you to see the complete instructions. Go to the posting of my instructions and press the button "Quote" as if you were going to respond to me. This will open another screen where you can see the instructions complete and uncut.

Phillip

United Kingdom
English
The alternative... Sep 16, 2011

Phillip C wrote:

For those who read my instructions on how to activate the spell check in Trados Studio 2009, but couldn't benefit fully from them because they appear mutilated at the end, I found a way for you to see the complete instructions. Go to the posting of my instructions and press the button "Quote" as if you were going to respond to me. This will open another screen where you can see the instructions complete and uncut.

Phillip

... for your future posts could be to use the following when posting these characters:

> will appear when you use this character entity &gt;

< will appear when you use &lt;

Regards

Paul

Bruno1011
German to Spanish
+ ...
Same solution for TagEditor 7 with WinterTree? Sep 16, 2011

Is there a similar solution to allow WinterTree in TagEditor 7 to check the spelling of a language "flavour" not included originally?

Thanks in advance!

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:21
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks, Phillip Dec 20, 2011

Phillip C wrote:

Now your spell checker will work for the Argentinian variety of Spanish. You can do the same thing for any language or variation of it. I hope this helps.

Phillip

Tank you very much. It was very useful and works like a charm.

Cheers,

P.

Phillip C
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Complete instructions to activate Spell Check in SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2009 or 2011 Jul 13, 2012

Trados Studio 2009 already has dictionaries and spellcheckers included in the bundle. For instance for Spanish it includes the dialect variation for Spain and for Mexico. You'll find these dictionaries and spell checkers here in your hard drive:

C:\ProgramFiles\SDL\SDLTradosStudio\Studio1\HunspellDictionaries\

In case you are doing this in TRADOS STUDIO 2011 then you'll find it here:

C:\ProgramFiles\SDL\SDLTradosStudio\Studio2\HunspellDictionaries\

In this folder (HunspellDictionaries) you'll find some (but not all) of the different regional variations of the languages that are included in Trados Studio 2009 or 2011. Every language (or variety of that language) contains 2 files. For instance, for Spanish from Spain, you'll find the following files:

es_ES.aff
es_ES.dic

All you have to do is copy and paste these 2 files in the same folder (HunspellDictionaries). If you want the Argentinian variation of Spanish for instance, you'll proceed to rename those 2 files you just pasted so they look like this:

es_AR.aff
es_AR.dic

In my case I wanted the Colombian variety of Spanish, so I renamed the files so they look like this:

es_CO.aff
es_CO.dic.

Once you've done this, you're going to do a search in your computer for this file:

spellcheckmanager_config.xml

This file is located in the folder \HunspellDictionaries but typically you may not see it because it is an .xml file and those files are generally "invisible". In case is not visible go to folder options and click "show hidden files, folders, and drives" and click OK. Once you can see the file, open it with note pad or any other word processor. In it, you'll see all the languages and varieties of the same language that are included in Trados Studio 2009. Every language will contain 4 lines. For instance Spanish from Mexico will look like this:

<language>
<isoCode&glt;es-MX</isoCode>
<dict>es_MX</dict>
<language>

So if you wanted the Argentinian variety of Spanish you'll copy and paste the preceding 4 lines within the same file (spellcheckmanager_config.xml). Then, you'll modify the copy you just pasted so it looks ilke this:

<language>
<isoCode>es-AR</isoCode>
<dict>es_AR</dict>
<language>

After this you'll do a save and close the file. Now your spell checker will work for the Argentinian variety of Spanish. You can do the same thing for any language or variation of it. I hope this helps.

Phillip

Gabriela Carlini  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Phillip for your post! Jun 3, 2013

I just wanted to thank you! I managed to solve the same problem

Great post!

Gabriela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell Check on SDL Trados Studio 2009 doesn't work

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search