How can I insert a space before a colon in TRADOS?
Thread poster: Caroline Grenache

Caroline Grenache  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
English to French
+ ...
Sep 13, 2011

Hi,

I am a new TRADOS user and I am trying to figure out how to automatically insert a space, for example before a colon. When I work in Word, my keyboard is set up in French so it does so automatically; however, in TRADOS it doesn't.

If anybody knows how I can "customize" this in TRADOS, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

Caroline

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
English to Hungarian
This works for me... Sep 14, 2011

but your experience may be different, because of the differences in settings.

I opened the file (in MS Word 2003), started Trados, went to Tools/Automatic correction settings (or sth like this, I have Hungarian version), then clicked on Autocorrection tab and in the „Replace” box entered ":”, in the „With” box entered „_:” (without quotation marks). From then on colon has been printed with a space.

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Do you mean in Tag Editor? Sep 14, 2011

It's not possible to add it automatically, but you can insert a non-breakable space using CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
If it is about Tageditor… Sep 14, 2011

After finishing the translation, before cleaning, in Translator Workbench at File/Maintenance/Find and Replace (Target) I would do the same replacement, and would check the radiobutton „Update document” before cleaning.

Caroline Grenache  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it Tag Editor? Sep 14, 2011

Thank you Istvan and Marie-Claude for your responses.

Is it Tag Editor? I don't know... I just attended a TRADOS Beginner Webinar last week and I am in the process of using the software and practicing different things on it, I'm affraid I'm not too sure what Tag Editor is.

In any case, I will try the different solutions you indicated ans I'm sure at least one of them will work -- I know the CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE will do the trick, I guess it's just a matter of remembering to do it (vs it being done automatically).

Thank you both!

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Studio then? Sep 14, 2011

It would have helped if you would have mentioned the Trados version you're using icon_wink.gif

Yes, it's a getting used to, but after a while it becomes automatic for you! And it helps you remember the typographical rules too, instead of relying on a software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I insert a space before a colon in TRADOS?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search