How can I insert a space before a colon in TRADOS?
Thread poster: Caroline Grenache

Caroline Grenache  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
English to French
+ ...
Sep 13, 2011

Hi,

I am a new TRADOS user and I am trying to figure out how to automatically insert a space, for example before a colon. When I work in Word, my keyboard is set up in French so it does so automatically; however, in TRADOS it doesn't.

If anybody knows how I can "customize" this in TRADOS, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

Caroline

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:38
English to Hungarian
This works for me... Sep 14, 2011

but your experience may be different, because of the differences in settings.

I opened the file (in MS Word 2003), started Trados, went to Tools/Automatic correction settings (or sth like this, I have Hungarian version), then clicked on Autocorrection tab and in the „Replace” box entered ":”, in the „With” box entered „_:” (without quotation marks). From then on colon has been printed with a space.

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Do you mean in Tag Editor? Sep 14, 2011

It's not possible to add it automatically, but you can insert a non-breakable space using CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
If it is about Tageditor… Sep 14, 2011

After finishing the translation, before cleaning, in Translator Workbench at File/Maintenance/Find and Replace (Target) I would do the same replacement, and would check the radiobutton „Update document” before cleaning.

Caroline Grenache  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it Tag Editor? Sep 14, 2011

Thank you Istvan and Marie-Claude for your responses.

Is it Tag Editor? I don't know... I just attended a TRADOS Beginner Webinar last week and I am in the process of using the software and practicing different things on it, I'm affraid I'm not too sure what Tag Editor is.

In any case, I will try the different solutions you indicated ans I'm sure at least one of them will work -- I know the CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE will do the trick, I guess it's just a matter of remembering to
... See more
Thank you Istvan and Marie-Claude for your responses.

Is it Tag Editor? I don't know... I just attended a TRADOS Beginner Webinar last week and I am in the process of using the software and practicing different things on it, I'm affraid I'm not too sure what Tag Editor is.

In any case, I will try the different solutions you indicated ans I'm sure at least one of them will work -- I know the CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE will do the trick, I guess it's just a matter of remembering to do it (vs it being done automatically).

Thank you both!
Collapse

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Studio then? Sep 14, 2011

It would have helped if you would have mentioned the Trados version you're using

Yes, it's a getting used to, but after a while it becomes automatic for you! And it helps you remember the typographical rules too, instead of relying on a software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I insert a space before a colon in TRADOS?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search