Any clever way of copying large texts from Word to Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Vitals

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 04:30
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Sep 16, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have quite a bit of text to be copied over to Trados Studio 2009 Editor, i.e. I have the source text there, but the target needs to be copied from MS Word. It allows me to copy only sentence by sentence, which is a waste of time...copy - alt+tab - paste, copy - alt+tab - paste, copy - alt+tab - paste... Tons of sentences like this.

Is there any good way of doing this faster? Or copying the whole this (it is a book-like text with basically sentences).

Need your help.

Yours sincerely,
VS

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use SDLXLIFF converter Sep 16, 2011

Go to SDL page, search for OpenExchange, download the SDLXLIFF converter and convert the SDLXLIFF file to Word. Then adapt the target to fit the other Word file and there you go.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Align Sep 16, 2011

It sounds to me as if you've got a source file in Studio (is it originally a Word file?) and the translation in Word.
In that case you should use Winalign to align the two Word files.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Align or do it manually Sep 16, 2011

One option is to use an aligner - not necessarily WinAlign, there are better ones out there.
Another option is to just skip this particular section of the document in Studio, and then, when you've generated the target file, paste the translation into it. Of course this is only feasible if you know for a fact that the texts match, you only need to deliver a finished clean file (no TMX or sdlxliff) and there isn't too much formatting that needs to be recreated.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just to expand on Jerzys idea.. Sep 16, 2011

If the target doc is the same as the source then you could open the source file in Studio, and the target file in Studio. Copy source to target in both and then use the sdlxliff converter to create two word files in column format.

If the files are the same then you may be able to copy the whole target column of the target in one go into the target column on the source word document. Now import the source word document back in and you have your translation.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any clever way of copying large texts from Word to Studio 2009?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search