https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207865-cant_reopen_a_sdl_studio_2009_project.html

Can't reopen a SDL Studio 2009 project
Thread poster: carondn2
carondn2
carondn2  Identity Verified
English to French
Sep 17, 2011

Hi everyone,
I just switched from Trados SDL 2007 to SDL Studio 2009, I work with Office 2007.
I worked all day yesterday and the day before on my new project, all was fine until, this morning, I tried desperately to open the project once more and each time, even after turning the computer on and off, SDL stops responding before the file is opened.
The only thing that I did between yesterday & today is to download a new version of Adobe reader (update message on my computer thi
... See more
Hi everyone,
I just switched from Trados SDL 2007 to SDL Studio 2009, I work with Office 2007.
I worked all day yesterday and the day before on my new project, all was fine until, this morning, I tried desperately to open the project once more and each time, even after turning the computer on and off, SDL stops responding before the file is opened.
The only thing that I did between yesterday & today is to download a new version of Adobe reader (update message on my computer this morning, the usual way).
I then got a little "interactive" window a the bottom of my screen asking me to look at the following message:

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

I had saved a copy of my project on gmail, retrieved it and opened it in gmail, which worked, then saved it back with a new name in a new folder and I can work for today, but I would really like to understand what's going on, in case I get the same problem tomorrow.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hope my explanation is clear enough.

Danielle C.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could you be more precise? Sep 17, 2011

What do you understand as "project"?
How were you able to save a "project" on Gmail and open it from there?
Studio will not open files on Internet locations AFAIK.
Does you Studio start or did that also stop working?

carondn2
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
More precise Sep 17, 2011

All right, I am new to Studio 2009 (first time user at this point), so I will try to be more precise.

I am talking about a .sdlxliff file with a TM.

At first, I couldn't even open Studio 2009, then I found on this forum that if I deleted the file
C:\Users\[Your_Username]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0
that might solve the problem in some cases, which I did. At least, I could then open the screen of Studio 2009 then, but not the file I was pre
... See more
All right, I am new to Studio 2009 (first time user at this point), so I will try to be more precise.

I am talking about a .sdlxliff file with a TM.

At first, I couldn't even open Studio 2009, then I found on this forum that if I deleted the file
that might solve the problem in some cases, which I did. At least, I could then open the screen of Studio 2009 then, but not the file I was previously working on.

What I am saying, is that last night, I did save a copy of my .sdlxliff file (forget about gmail - it's just that I often save my files there as an attachment to a message adressed to myself, that I keep in a folder).
So I was able to go into my e-mail with the .sdlxliff file attached, and open it from there without any problem, but incapable of opening it from SDL Studio.

I hope this is more clear.

DC
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Great - so we are talking about the translation of a single file Sep 17, 2011

The procedure to go when you want to translate a single file (in general) is this:
Start Studio.
Chose "Open file".
Select the file. In the following dialog select language pair and do the proper TM settings.
If you need more settings (AutoSuggest dictionary, termbase and so on), press Advanced and change the settings accordingly.
Open the file now.
Translate the file.
Remember to save the file from time to time - Studio has no auto-save function.
... See more
The procedure to go when you want to translate a single file (in general) is this:
Start Studio.
Chose "Open file".
Select the file. In the following dialog select language pair and do the proper TM settings.
If you need more settings (AutoSuggest dictionary, termbase and so on), press Advanced and change the settings accordingly.
Open the file now.
Translate the file.
Remember to save the file from time to time - Studio has no auto-save function.
When you now need to reopen the file to continue translation, DO NOT open either the source file again or the SDXLIFF file. This will create a new "project" in Studio.
Instead of doing so go to Files view in Studio and open the file FROM THERE.

Now in your case:
Does Studio start without any problems?
If yes, can you go to Files view and open the file from there?
Collapse

carondn2
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I works Sep 17, 2011

Well,
That was the only thing wrong: I didn't know that I was creating a new project by trying to open it by double-clicking on my original file.
It seems to work fine now.

Now, when I go into my Start menu, I see the Studio 2009 icon with, as a sub-menu, the file I have recently worked on. So I wouldn't be able to open that file from there by double-clicking on it either, right?

I hope I haven't created a problem by deleting the
C:\Users\[Your_Usern
... See more
Well,
That was the only thing wrong: I didn't know that I was creating a new project by trying to open it by double-clicking on my original file.
It seems to work fine now.

Now, when I go into my Start menu, I see the Studio 2009 icon with, as a sub-menu, the file I have recently worked on. So I wouldn't be able to open that file from there by double-clicking on it either, right?

I hope I haven't created a problem by deleting the
file however.

Thanks for your generosity and your time. It is really appreciated.

Danielle C.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No problem when deleting the settings file you mention Sep 17, 2011

Sorry, this is beyond me.
When you go to Start menu, in usual Windows you will be shown programs. And you do not double click anything there. Usually you also do not right click things in Start menu on Windows.
So please again by all means: try to stick to some standard Windows terminology, that I have a slight chance to understand you.
I suppose you mean a context menu, as this is what you get when right-clicking a file in Windows Explorer.

carondn2
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
More details Sep 17, 2011

Sorry,
I translate from English to French, and I am not specialized in this kind of technical terms.

When you go into the Start menu, above "All Programs", you have a list of icons of the programs you have used the most recently; on the right of each of these icons, you have a small arrow. When you click on that arrow, you see a list of the files you have worked with recently.
So when I click on the Studio 2009 icon's arrow, I see the Studio files I have worked with the
... See more
Sorry,
I translate from English to French, and I am not specialized in this kind of technical terms.

When you go into the Start menu, above "All Programs", you have a list of icons of the programs you have used the most recently; on the right of each of these icons, you have a small arrow. When you click on that arrow, you see a list of the files you have worked with recently.
So when I click on the Studio 2009 icon's arrow, I see the Studio files I have worked with the most recently.
And I guess I wouldn't be able to open my file from there without creating a new project either, right?
I have to click on "All Programs", find Studio 2009 there and open the software first.
That is not very practical, I must admit.

I was used to work with SDLX & Trados, and I must admit that the fact that you can't open your files directly is not a step forward for me.

Danielle C.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio is diferent Sep 17, 2011

Studio is project oriented software.
TBH it is much easier to use, if you create projects even for the smallest source file, than to open single documents.
When opening single documents Studio is so much different from any other application, that your knowledge from there is quite misleading.

Imagine how Studio works:
Regardless if you open a single file or create a project, Studio always generates a sdlproj file and treats everything as a project. When you go to P
... See more
Studio is project oriented software.
TBH it is much easier to use, if you create projects even for the smallest source file, than to open single documents.
When opening single documents Studio is so much different from any other application, that your knowledge from there is quite misleading.

Imagine how Studio works:
Regardless if you open a single file or create a project, Studio always generates a sdlproj file and treats everything as a project. When you go to Projects view you will see all your projects from the past - this view will contain both "real" projects and all the single files you opened.
This is why you cannot use the same method as for example for Word.
The reason is also quite simple. The "Open document" command does not really "open" a document, but reads it and converts to translatable format.
Collapse

carondn2
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
All right Sep 17, 2011

Ok. I get it.

I still have a lot to learn about this new tool. Thanks for these further explanations. I will get the "knack" of it after a while.

Danielle C.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to open Studio Sep 18, 2011

carondn2 wrote:

I have to click on "All Programs", find Studio 2009 there and open the software first.
That is not very practical, I must admit.

I agree, that is not the most practical way to open Studio. There are different ways to do it. I just have a shortcut (AltGr+T) to open it. How? Like this:

Drag the Studio icon onto your desktop:
1. Go to your desktop (Windows icon +D or if you have Windows 7 you just click on the bar in the bottom right hand corner of your task bar)
2. Click on start>all programmes>SDL>SDL Trados Studio 2009
3. Now drag the programme "SDL Trados Studio 2009" out onto your desktop using Ctrl+drag (i.e. you copy the icon).
4. Now you can open Studio from your desktop, or set up a short-cut by right-clicking the icon, go to properties>short cut key. Enter any key combination that isn't assigned to anything else. I use AltGr+T.

Then open any file or project from within Studio.

This is basic computer stuff, but I hope it helps.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Starting the program first before you open the file... Sep 18, 2011

is IMHO (maybe unfortunately) the best practice.
Double clicking the file is (or can be) very dangerous - you go by the file extension or, even worser, just by file symbol and cannot be sure which program fits.
If you work only with Word, makes most probably no difference, but when you start having two or more versions of the program on your PC this will be a problem. Which version shall then open the file?

BTW, drag the Studio symbol from the desktop (which shall be the
... See more
is IMHO (maybe unfortunately) the best practice.
Double clicking the file is (or can be) very dangerous - you go by the file extension or, even worser, just by file symbol and cannot be sure which program fits.
If you work only with Word, makes most probably no difference, but when you start having two or more versions of the program on your PC this will be a problem. Which version shall then open the file?

BTW, drag the Studio symbol from the desktop (which shall be there by default) to the Quick Start bar, located beside the Start button.
You can also add the Studio icon to the Windows Start menu - then it is just one click to start the program.

[Edited at 2011-09-18 08:17 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't reopen a SDL Studio 2009 project

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »