Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:58
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 17, 2011

Hello there,

I am still getting accointed with this for me new interface. So far so good, but one thing that really drives me mad and tremendously slows my productivity is the column display.

I have on the left column the source text, in the right column the translation.

This feels very unergonomic to me.

Anyone who could tell me how to organise the segments on top op each other
like in the 'good old Trados'
would really make my day.

Cheers!!

Pascale

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
um... Sep 17, 2011

.. you can't, but you'll get used to the side by side view eventually. We all have.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 14:58
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
feature request Sep 18, 2011

You can do that in Déjà Vu X2 and memoQ. Switching to vertical or horizontal editing is easy with one click only. Why don't you write to SDL and request this feature?

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:58
English to German
+ ...
Could this have to do with how our brain processes impressions? Sep 18, 2011

Could this have to do with how our brain processes impressions?

I really mean this seriously.

Sincerely,

Marina

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:58
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
SDL feature Sep 18, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

You can do that in Déjà Vu X2 and memoQ. Switching to vertical or horizontal editing is easy with one click only. Why don't you write to SDL and request this feature?

Because they usually ignore us and do not really care what we want. It is the same as the request for an option to modify the source (e.g. for OCR files). They do not believe we should be able to modify the source so they will not implement such a feature.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not quite... Sep 18, 2011

Alina - Maria Chiteala wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Because they usually ignore us and do not really care what we want. It is the same as the request for an option to modify the source (e.g. for OCR files). They do not believe we should be able to modify the source so they will not implement such a feature.

I can assure you, "they" do believe and do listen. However, priorities have to be set for software development. You would be really surprised to see how many user requests have been implemented already.
This said I also must admit, that the priorities set by SDL seem not to fit to the needs of most translators, and this causes frustration. Nevertheless I have not gived up the hope this will change and improve with next Studio releases.
OTOH the wish of having the top-bottom view has made a quite long way down my wish list in the recent time. You indeed get used to left-right view. In certain situations it would still however be really nice to have the choice.

Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I survived Sep 18, 2011

Here is my feedback after a hard day work

To overcome my 'problem', I narrowed the 2 columns as much as possible and increased the size of letters. The text was then more easy to manage but I would have prefered to put the block with source segment on the top of the block where you type your translation.

I still am convinced that to read short lines of text on top of each other is more convenient that long lengths of lines. In my opinion the throughput increase should start with an interface that is as ergonomic as possible.

But I must say, I still have a lot to learn (as if I was running short of activities to keep me busy) in order to optimise this new version.

Amongst other things, I hope to find ways to use the mouse less and less because this is slowing me down too. I simply hate it and use the shortcuts as much as possible. Keys usually stay at their place on the keyboard and they do not click where they were meant to, if you see what I mean.

Thanks for your reactions and take care.

Pascale

[Edited at 2011-09-18 14:51 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Support my idea? Sep 21, 2011

Hello Pascale,
perhaps you might vote for this idea here: http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2048

You will need your translationzone.com login data to log in to the Ideas page.

Erkan Dogan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:58
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Big time frustration Dec 7, 2011

A company put the use of Trados 2009 Studio as an option and I wanted to try their version before I would buy it for myself. I cannot believe that SDL messed up big time like this. My eyes kept running left and right between two columns and exceeded my monthly "eye mileage" quota already))

I am not sure if my productivity would come back to its previous level even if I could get used to this. I am planning to stick to my Trados 7 for a while until SDL makes some real user-friendly changes. The practicality is not there. The screen is unnecessarily divided between so many things. I just miss my two-window-at-a-time version and I will head right back to once this project is over

If no chance is on the horizon, it may be the time for me to look for another alternative.

Good luck SDL!

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
French to English
+ ...
Matter of preference Dec 8, 2011

Pascale Pluton wrote:
I still am convinced that to read short lines of text on top of each other is more convenient that long lengths of lines. In my opinion the throughput increase should start with an interface that is as ergonomic as possible.

Possibly, but the feedback I have had from our translators suggests that the majority in fact prefer the column layout. Believe it or not I had one yesterday almost demanding more Trados work because the column layout increased his efficiency. I suppose it's simply a matter of preference, and possibly different ways that different brains interpret visual information, but I agree with Jerzy, it would be very nice to have the choice, and it has been mentioned and requested repeatedly for a very long time...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 - How to put source and target on top of each other

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search