Activate F3 for Concordance search? (Studio)
Thread poster: Djamila_Vilcsko

Djamila_Vilcsko  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:42
English to German
Sep 19, 2011

Hi,
this may sound like a very basic, petty question but it's driving me crazy (I am talking about Studio 2009):

For some completely mysterious reason I can't use the F3 key anymore to use the concordance search in an easy way. So far, I have been able to select the term in question, then pressed F3 and the results showed up in the window for concordance search. Now this doesn't work any more, I have to select, copy and paste the term into the search bar of the concordance search window and then press F3 (or enter).
It is extremely inconvenient and time consuming and I have no clue on how to get my good old F3 function back. I tried to find information on this in the help files but wasn't sucessful.
If anyone has a solution (I am sure it's embarrassingly simple...), please relieve me from my misery.

Thanks a lot!

Djamila

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Source OR target concordance? Sep 19, 2011

I do not know, if you already detected that:
When the cursor is on the source side, F3 searches source concordance, but when the cursor is on target side, it does a target search.
Use also CTRL+F3 and CTRL+SHIFT+F3 for source and target concordance or better modify the setting so, that they fit your needs.

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
No, doesn't work :( Sep 19, 2011

Jerzy, thanks for your reply.

I already knew about the cursor position so that wasn't the problem. (Good point though - it took me a little while before I figured that out at the beginning.)

I also tried out the key combinations you mentioned - they don't work either.

I'd almost suspect that there is something wrong with my keyboard but the F3 key works in other programs. Restarting Studio doesn't help either. The problem remains.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
F-lock? Sep 20, 2011

Hi Djamila,

Does your keyboard by any chance have an F-Lock key? This key modifies the function of the F keys, so if it's there (in my keyboard it's next to the F12 key), try pressing it and then try again F3 for concordance to see if it works again.

This little problem has caused me many headaches with F keys in various programs, as I inadvertently press the F-lock key and don't realize what I've done and then I'm baffled when my F keys stop working.

[Edited at 2011-09-20 00:26 GMT]

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Sep 20, 2011

Hi Nora,

that was the answer!!!

I searched my keyboard and found a key called "F-shift" and after pressing this, everything went back to normal!

Can't tell you how happy I am.

Thank you so much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Activate F3 for Concordance search? (Studio)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search