Thread poster: Kerstin Green

Kerstin Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
English to German
+ ...
Sep 19, 2011

Hello all,

I have a project package from a client and I opened it without problems. When I open the file to be translated, though, I get the error message:

Could not find file 'xxx.doc'

(The name of my translatable file is 'xxx.doc.sdlxliff.) It gives me the option to search for the file on my computer, but I have not got that file. But I never get the original source files in packages, only the sdlxliff, and never had problems before...?

I can just click 'No' and the file still opens, I can translate in it but then get the error again when saving and it will not save. So basically I can't work with it.

I had this error a while ago on a different project and back then I asked the client for the original .doc file, put that in the folder and pointed Studio to it. I was then able to open and save my file, however the client later had problems creating the target files. So that was not the real solution I suppose.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

I have SP3 and run Windows XP Professional.

Thanks!

Kerstin

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Embedded filetype options Sep 19, 2011

Hi Kerstin,

Have a look at this blog post, maybe it will help:

http://studiotroubleshooting.blogspot.com/2011/04/sdlxliff-filetype-options-embedded-or.html

If that's the case, maybe you can ask your client to recreate the project, this time setting the maximum embedded file size to a number that will allow the source file to be embedded.

Kerstin Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 19, 2011

That makes sense to me, Nora. Although the file size is set to 20 on the project, but it is a large file. I let my client know and we will see how it goes.

Thanks for now, I will update as soon as I know more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Error "Could not find file" when opening or saving file

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search