Thread poster: Kerstin Green

Kerstin Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:39
English to German
+ ...
Sep 19, 2011

Hello all,

I have a project package from a client and I opened it without problems. When I open the file to be translated, though, I get the error message:

Could not find file 'xxx.doc'

(The name of my translatable file is 'xxx.doc.sdlxliff.) It gives me the option to search for the file on my computer, but I have not got that file. But I never get the original source files in packages, only the sdlxliff, and never had problems before...?

I can just click 'No' and the file still opens, I can translate in it but then get the error again when saving and it will not save. So basically I can't work with it.

I had this error a while ago on a different project and back then I asked the client for the original .doc file, put that in the folder and pointed Studio to it. I was then able to open and save my file, however the client later had problems creating the target files. So that was not the real solution I suppose.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

I have SP3 and run Windows XP Professional.

Thanks!

Kerstin

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:39
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Embedded filetype options Sep 19, 2011

Hi Kerstin,

Have a look at this blog post, maybe it will help:

http://studiotroubleshooting.blogspot.com/2011/04/sdlxliff-filetype-options-embedded-or.html

If that's the case, maybe you can ask your client to recreate the project, this time setting the maximum embedded file size to a number that will allow the source file to be embedded.

Kerstin Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:39
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 19, 2011

That makes sense to me, Nora. Although the file size is set to 20 on the project, but it is a large file. I let my client know and we will see how it goes.

Thanks for now, I will update as soon as I know more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Error "Could not find file" when opening or saving file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search