Thread poster: Adam Bojan

Adam Bojan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:49
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
Sep 20, 2011

Hallo,
I am testing Studio 2011 and have noticed that highligting to the end (begining) of a segment with Ctrl+shift+ down/up arrow doesn't work here. It does work in Studio 2009 I use.
Is it only me? Maybe I have blocked it by some other shortcut settings.
Any reason?

(And talking about highlighting, one more thing before I forget:
It would be nice if Studio had an option to highlight in Editor the words/phrases searched or filtered by putting them in the display filter, all of them at once as eg. Word does with the yello highlighting. It seems an obvious feature and would be of a great help).

Adam

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Ctrl+A Sep 20, 2011

The standard shortcut for highlighting/selecting the whole of a segment is ctrl+A.
Ctrl+shift+up/down also works for me in Studio 2011. Have a look in shortcuts to see what is assigned to "select all".

Yes, I agree the yellow highlighting of the selected word in the display filter would be useful, especially as the search filter (F4) does do it (in a red box).

Poland
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+A is something different Sep 20, 2011

... and it works ok, but that's not what I mean. Put a cursor in the middel of a segment text and press ctrl+shift +arrow down/up. Nothing becomes selected in my Studio 2011. So I have a problem.

(the other thing, highlighting the search/display filter word(s), ideally it should work like eg. Google Chrome search box, you put a word in the search field and ALL the instances of it are directly highlighted, this is wonderful. The "red box" highlights just one instance, and I mean "all instances". Anyway, there is still much to be improved about the search/display functions and the way they work in the "new" Studio. Frankly speaking, after testing for about a week, I am very disappointed that "new" Studio will not improve anything on the ergonomy issues...)

Adam

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
What OS are you using? Sep 20, 2011

I've been testing it too and works fine under Windows 7 64-bit SP1 French.

Poland
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the same Sep 20, 2011

just like you, but 32 bit. The strange thing is that in my Studio 2009 it does work as it should, also when I have both Studios opened at the same time. The key shortcuts are the same.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Searching in Studio Sep 20, 2011

Hi Adam,

Actually I agree with you and would like to see highlighting all as well. There are a few options for searching in Studio and one of them will do this:

1. Ctrl+F : just the standard search highlighting one result at a time
  2. Filter display : every segment will then contain your search result and you could use the simple Ctrl+F afterwards to work thorugh them maybe?
  3. Use the Batch Find and Replace app that comes with Studio 2011. This will highlight all the results and it will work across projects if you want.

On the shortcut... I'm not sure but will ask around. It works for me.

Regards

Paul

Poland
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more on highlighting Sep 20, 2011

just to expand on the highlighting subtopic: another useful highlighting feature would be to have an option to highlight the places (strings) to which all (or some) of the messages refer, eg. when I get a warning that a number is missing in the target, or a punctuation mark, I would like to see it highlighted in the source (and, if it's possible, in the target, too). It can sometimes take much time to find the culprit.
Thank you Paul for taking a look at this, it's really very annoying that it doesn't work here, especially when I read that you all don't experience that.

Adam

[Bijgewerkt op 2011-09-20 14:28 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
On error finding Sep 20, 2011

Hi Adam,

The new QA Checker in Studio 2011 makes this easier to use. You just double click the first error in the messages pane and a new window opens up that allows you to work through the problems one at a time. The display looks something like this:

This window allows you to work through the problems one at a time and provides:

1. Message describing the check
  2. Description of the problem
  3. Suggested replacement
  4. Source segment
  5. Target segment

This is much easier than before.

Regards

Paul

Poland
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, but... Sep 20, 2011

yes, I know it and I like it. But still, even in your example highlighting the dots (both in target and in source) would make it much easier to see them at a glance, without reading the long elaboration, and it would be even better, what I suggest here, to see them highlighted directly after having confirmed the segment in the Editor (and then there should be a shortcut to ignore/accept the message if it is a false alarm like you have the shortcut ctrl+shift+F9 to accept a change in track changes). In other words, it could work like underlining errors with spell-checking on. In your example, this feature would highlight the four dots JUST AFTER writing them, a kind of "source based spell-checker" or "source sensitive on the fly quality-checker" (all rights reserved ).

Adam

[Bijgewerkt op 2011-09-20 15:34 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
All rights reserved... Sep 20, 2011

Adam Bojan wrote:

.... a kind of "source based spell-checker" or "source sensitive on the fly quality-checker" (all rights reserved ).

Adam

... if you develop it

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Highligting with Ctrl+shift+ down/up arrow in Studio 2011 doesn't work

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search