https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/208033-best_practice_to_handle_target_language_segments_in_the_source_document.html

Best practice to handle target language segments in the source document?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:03
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sep 20, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I need to translate a document substantial parts of which already are in the target language. I'm just thinking what the best way to handle these sements is.

I'd actually prefer not to touch them at all (i.e. leave the target segment empty), but most probably they won't appear in the target document then?

So I'll probably copy source to target, but I'll need to use the segment status in order to prevent that the segments land in the TM. ... See more
Dear colleagues,

I need to translate a document substantial parts of which already are in the target language. I'm just thinking what the best way to handle these sements is.

I'd actually prefer not to touch them at all (i.e. leave the target segment empty), but most probably they won't appear in the target document then?

So I'll probably copy source to target, but I'll need to use the segment status in order to prevent that the segments land in the TM.

Is that the usual way you do this? Is there any other way of handling this that I'm overlooking?

Many thanks for any input,
kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What Trados version do you refer to? Sep 20, 2011

For both T2007 & T2009 I would use the same scenario, if the source file is Word:
In Word select the text which has not to be translated and press CTRL+D, then select "Hidden" (in German: Ausgeblendet) as formatting attribute and press OK. I have created a shortcut in Word for this formatting.
Then create a TTX file out of the Word file and translate in TagEditor or Studio.
After you're done, select the whole document and remove the hdden attribute (CTRL+D).

Or, if
... See more
For both T2007 & T2009 I would use the same scenario, if the source file is Word:
In Word select the text which has not to be translated and press CTRL+D, then select "Hidden" (in German: Ausgeblendet) as formatting attribute and press OK. I have created a shortcut in Word for this formatting.
Then create a TTX file out of the Word file and translate in TagEditor or Studio.
After you're done, select the whole document and remove the hdden attribute (CTRL+D).

Or, if you already have the document in Studio:
Copy source to target for such segments and change the segment status to "Translation rejected" or "Sign-off rejected". This way the text will appear in target (this would also happen with empty segments), but will not be used to update the TM.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2009 - thanks Jerzy! Sep 20, 2011

Dear Jerzy,

Many thanks for your help. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I'm using Studio 2009.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Copy source to target for such segments and change the segment status to "Translation rejected" or "Sign-off rejected". This way the text will appear in target (this would also happen with empty segments), but will not be used to update the TM.

I already have an sdlxliff file. If the source segments will indeed appear in the target document when I leave the target segments in the sdlxliff empty, that's the route I'd prefer (as it involves a lot less steps, like copy source to target, set segment status, watch out for correct settings when updating the TM etc.)

Kind regards,
Erik

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:03
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
What's wrong with copied segments landing in the TM? Sep 20, 2011

efreitag wrote:
So I'll probably copy source to target, but I'll need to use the segment status in order to prevent that the segments land in the TM.

Like most of us, I've also run into this on occasion. Usually I just copy the source. I'm not sure I understand what harm it will do to have these target segments land in the TM, though - except perhaps for some marginal TM bloat. After all, if I ran into them again in a source segment, wouldn't I want them copied again?

I can perhaps see some issues if you ever wanted to reverse the TM, but that's not likely scenario for me (though I imagine it might be for others).

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
leave them Sep 20, 2011

If you just leave the segment as untranslated, when you generate the target file it will automatically use the source segment. This way you avoid them getting saved in your memory.

You can also copy source to target, but not confirm the segment. The target file will still be generated correctly, but the TM will not be affected.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unconfirmed segments will be automatically confirmed... Sep 20, 2011

Wendy Leech wrote:

If you just leave the segment as untranslated, when you generate the target file it will automatically use the source segment. This way you avoid them getting saved in your memory.

You can also copy source to target, but not confirm the segment. The target file will still be generated correctly, but the TM will not be affected.

when you open the file for review or sign-off.
This is why I neither leave such segments empty nor unconfirmed.
In fact you can however leave all such segments empty.
After you finished the translation use Display filter to show all segments with "Not translated" status. Then select all this segments, copy source to target and change their status at once to "Translation/Sign-off rejected". This way you can review the file or open it for sign-off, as this status will not be changed unless you do that.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 26, 2011

Dear all,

Thanks for your helpful comments. Indeed I think that Rudolf's approach makes sense ...

Kind regards,
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best practice to handle target language segments in the source document?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »